Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Toledo web site shows 6 roster spots cleared since Thursday with only two replacements. Should be some promotion announcements coming?

https://www.milb.com/toledo/transactions

This is where Harris can start to really make this his roster. I mentioned purge before but it’s true. He will start to replace roster depth with quality upgraded talent (hopefully).

21 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This is where Harris can start to really make this his roster. I mentioned purge before but it’s true. He will start to replace roster depth with quality upgraded talent (hopefully).

I wonder how much difference you would see at AAA between a great and a poor farm system. I figure it goes something like this:

A good development system delivers 2 major leaguers per season. Lets take a simple 2:1 loss rate at each level in the minors - that's four serious prospects need to get to AAA each year, 8 need to get to AA each year and 16 to A ball. Since between a 20 round draft and the internation signings a team does take in maybe just under 32 new players each year - so 2:1 math at each level works out pretty close to the overall system average. 

So, long story short, most of the guys at AAA are still going to be organizational fill and hangers on with no chance of making the majors. That's going to be true whether it's a lousy system sending one guy to the majors each year, or a great system sending 3. The impact at AAA is still isn't that big a part of the roster. I suppose in a better system the failures might be better - i.e. more 4 A players?

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wonder how much difference you would see at AAA between a great and a poor farm system. I figure it goes something like this:

A good development system delivers 2 major leaguers per season. Lets take a simple 2:1 loss rate at each level in the minors - that's four serious prospects need to get to AAA each year, 8 need to get to AA each year and 16 to A ball. Since between a 20 round draft and the internation signings a team does take in maybe just under 32 new players each year - so 2:1 math at each level works out pretty close to the overall system average. 

So, long story short, most of the guys at AAA are still going to be organizational fill and hangers on with no chance of making the majors. That's going to be true whether it's a lousy system sending one guy to the majors each year, or a great system sending 3. The impact at AAA is still isn't that big a part of the roster. I suppose in a better system the failures might be better - i.e. more 4 A players?

For what it's worth, the current position player crop in Toledo is the least roster-filly I can remember it being.

14 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

For what it's worth, the current position player crop in Toledo is the least roster-filly I can remember it being.

Maybe we can expect that if Harris keeps up his penchant for cruising the waiver wire? Of course if they become a better team waiver opportunities should decrease and then the churn at AAA would slow down again.