Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Wondering why we haven't seen 3rd rounder Paul Wilson? Guess he had a minor UCL injury. Also interesting is the Dodgers were interested in him in the 2nd round but at slot. 

The UCL sprain was, in Wilson’s words, “minor” and was judged by doctors to be just that, with no surgery required. Wilson has been on a steady rehab program and is now throwing from 90 feet. He says he is expected to pitch serious bullpens and throw to hitters in September.

“Getting hurt knocked me a round down (deeper) than I think I would have gone,” Wilson said last week, explaining how the Tigers kept him from Oregon State — and from possible destiny with the Dodgers, or with another big-league team.

“The Dodgers offered me slot for a mid-60s pick (approximately $1.2 million), but we were asking for a bit more, and they passed.

Toledo W 8-4
Perez 0/2 2BB K SB
Malloy 0/4 BB K
Keith 2/4 2RBI BB K 2B
Lipcius 2/4 2RBI HR K
Leonard 0/4 2K
Kreidler 1/4 K SB
Wentz 5.2IP 2ER 6K

Erie W 5-4
Cruz 1/4 2RBI HR
Bigbie 1/4 BB K
Jung 1/4 2RBI K HR
Lockhart 5IP 2H 1R 2BB 7K (2.03 ERA on the season he is 25 but he might be someone to keep an eye on and was another Dodger throwaway; he had an 11.40 ERA for them prior to coming to Erie)
Mattison 1.1IP 2BB 2K

WM W 3-2
Gold 0/4 3K
Allen 0/4 3K
Pacheco 2/4 K SB
Workman 1/3 RBI BB K 2B
Smith 3.1IP 3H 1ER 6K

Lakeland L 5-1
Santana 0/2 2BB SB
Jarvis 0/4 K
Anderson 1/4 2B
Bastidas 1/3 BB 2B
Hill 3IP 3K 3BB H

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Good to see Pacheco still has a pulse.

Barely breathing is more apt.  I was more hopeful for him, but like Workman, his plate discipline has been exposed as he was promoted.  Soon those guys will be passed by Lee and McGonigle, while being blocked by Jung and Perez.

it seems like the Tigers have had tons of these types over the years. guys with tons of raw power and tools only to be undone by the inability to square a baseball up. I'm sure every organization has a bunch of guys that fit that description, but I can't remember any panning out for us.

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

it seems like the Tigers have had tons of these types over the years. guys with tons of raw power and tools only to be undone by the inability to square a baseball up. I'm sure every organization has a bunch of guys that fit that description, but I can't remember any panning out for us.

Yes, Workman is going to make us forget all about Neil Jenkins.

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

It seems to be a hard call deciding how much weight to give power vs contact skill with young hitters. I think it was true going back a few decades, the Tigers consistently overvalued power over contact skill, which is one reason they ended up with the all time minor league HR champion. But Hessman was just one in a long line (up to at least C Stewart) of power guys who couldn't hit enough for the power to bring any MLB value. Funny since the two greatest home grown hitters to come through the org after the '68 era were Whittaker and Trammell, who were all contact skill as youngstera - neither  showed any power until into their MLB career. The org forget the lesson quickly I guess. 

One purely physiological grounds, I've always thought a player with great contact skill always has a chance to grow into enough strength to start showing some power. Granted that's not the profile for a 40hr guy, but maybe for a 20 hr guy. But unless it's a guy with bad mechanics you can fix, a guy without the neuro-motor-visual piece to be a high OBP player at lower levels doesn't strike me as very likely to improve in that area just because he gets older. Reps will help some, but if a guy is at his brain/CNS speed limit there is nothing you will ever be able to do (again - C Stewart is a classic example)

The more recent regimes we are seeing some of the opposite. Paredes was the case of a guy they stayed with (at least for a while) based on contact skill, not knowing whether he would ever hit for power.  Unfortunately the tigers were a year too impatient with him to find out their initial hopes for him were justified. Workman was a power guy who isn't going to be able to hit, then OTOH, Lipcius is  a guy they drafted who has good bat skills but whose question mark was and remains power. Bigbie maybe another. So they are making or at least risking mistakes on both sides of the power/skill specturm, which is what you should see - That would mean you're in the sweet spot in the middle.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

I hope they play McGonigle at SS until he proves that he can't.

The problem here is there are more than 4 guys who need to play shortstop in April and May, and more than 6 June-August... So if you want him playing only short, he's playing 2-3 days a week.

• Like 1

When he was first drafted I saw a few people say on twitter that he was a for sure SS long term then as time went on it seems to be that people are back tracking on that assumption so I have no idea what to think of him defensively. I guess as long as he can hit that is the main thing but it sure would be nice to actually have a potential SS in the system to be excited really excited about. 

10 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The problem here is there are more than 4 guys who need to play shortstop in April and May, and more than 6 June-August... So if you want him playing only short, he's playing 2-3 days a week.

I'd make it a priority to play him more than that.

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Max Clark was 2-2 with a double today before being replaced. Don't really follow the going ons of rookie ball so not sure if that is kinda standard procedure or if something happened to him. 

There was a lightning delay and he had played in the first makeup game so guessing they decided to rest him after the delay.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Max Clark was 2-2 with a double today before being replaced. Don't really follow the going ons of rookie ball so not sure if that is kinda standard procedure or if something happened to him. 

Max Clark hit a single today.  Tigers executives are baffled by the sudden, drastic decline in power.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

That was the resumption of a suspended game from August 7. That single has been hanging out there in suspension.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

That was a suspended game.

They played another, full, game today as well, which he played in.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Lael Lockhart is probably more of an org guy, but he's been an under-the-wire solid pickup off the Dodgers by Harris' team

Oh I agree, but it would be nice if they found a diamond in the rough here. He is obviously older (25 already) but just a guy to keep an eye on, especially as a lefty.

41 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Oh I agree, but it would be nice if they found a diamond in the rough here. He is obviously older (25 already) but just a guy to keep an eye on, especially as a lefty.

Lockhart and now Eddys Lenoard.... it's not a bad org to pick up some cast offs from.

• Like 1