Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s not a bad list.  3 potential all-stars in Clark, Keith and Jobe. The hitters are mostly high OBP guys, with the exception of maybe Meadows. Feels like the most complete top-10 list that I can remember.

Take this with a grain of salt but according to Pipeline we have the 7th best farm system, I mean sure Clark and Keith are the big drivers of that though and I mean their ranking is very rudimentary.

https://www.mlb.com/news/each-team-s-updated-top-30-prospects-list-2023?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

4 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Take this with a grain of salt but according to Pipeline we have the 7th best farm system, I mean sure Clark and Keith are the big drivers of that though and I mean their ranking is very rudimentary.

https://www.mlb.com/news/each-team-s-updated-top-30-prospects-list-2023?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Meanwhile, the Kansas City Royals.... woof.

I still remember listening to a podcast with Keith Law last year where he stated point blank that he thought the Royals were ahead of the Tigers... as hard as the situation has been here, just don't see it.

5 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Lakeland seems pretty unimpressive right now - maybe they are on the cusp of an infusion of talent from this latest draft - Clark etc.

FG has them 15th. obviously, these just don't matter much. can you graduate talent to the majors and trade talent when needed? that is all that matters. (I will note that Carpenter was never on many Top XX lists, because his rise was so fast, and then the next winter his prospects status was expired.)

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lakeland seems pretty unimpressive right now - maybe they are on the cusp of an infusion of talent from this latest draft - Clark etc.

I agree, I think one thing that we don't really hear about is the lack of pitching in these lower levels so far. I think hitting you have players like Santana who has come around the last 2 months and Anderson from this past draft class but other than that it's not great. I think next year you will see Lakeland with more interesting prospects between Briceno, Campbell, Clark, McGonigle, Gil from a hitting side pushing up a level. I am interested to see where they slot some of the HS pitchers they took next yeat.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lakeland is actually leading the FSL West standings-wise in the second half fwiw.... 

(Granted standings don't matter that much)

11 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I agree, I think one thing that we don't really hear about is the lack of pitching in these lower levels so far. I think hitting you have players like Santana who has come around the last 2 months and Anderson from this past draft class but other than that it's not great. I think next year you will see Lakeland with more interesting prospects between Briceno, Campbell, Clark, McGonigle, Gil from a hitting side pushing up a level. I am interested to see where they slot some of the HS pitchers they took next yeat.

Jim Jarvis has been on a bender since getting to Lakeland as well....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

FG has them 15th. obviously, these just don't matter much. can you graduate talent to the majors and trade talent when needed? that is all that matters. (I will note that Carpenter was never on many Top XX lists, because his rise was so fast, and then the next winter his prospects status was expired.)

Yeah. Original assessments tend to be very sticky. A guy like Pacheco still gets a top 30 based on his incoming assessment despite being pretty dead in the water development wise while there is a lot of resistance to guys like Carpenter (dare we say Bigbie?) ever getting much notice even as they advance to the majors.

I read an article I think in the News where Santana manager was quoted as saying Santana's bad start was because he tried too hard to "control the strike zone" and forgot to swing the bat. This explains his always high OBP but really low batting average. I think the difference was like 220 points !

• Like 1