Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

I am sure there will be more ups and downs, but Tork-Greene-Carpenter are showing they are ML starting caliber players, with still undetermined ceilings for all.

Next year they will be going through the same growing pains with Keith-Meadows-Malloy*. It will be tricky to balance winning with developing young talent. The division is there for the taking.

*(Also could see Wenceel, Sands, Lipcius?, Kreidler yet again, and later Bigbie)

Toledo W 4-2
Meadows 1/5
Malloy 1/2 2BB K
Keith 0/3 BB
Perez 2/4 3B CS
Lipcius 2/4 RBI
Leonard 1/4 2B K
Dingler 1/4 2K 2B

Erie PPD

WM W 3-2

Allen 1/3
Workman 1/3 BB K
Gold 1/4 2RBI K
Pacheco 1/4 2B

Lakeland GM1 L 4-3
Stephenson 2/3 RBI K 2B 2SB
Santana 0/2 2BB
Jarvis 1/3 RBI K
Anderson 1/3

Lakeland GM2 W 6-2
Stephenson 1/3 K
Santana 1/3 RBI BB K
Anderson 2/4 4RBI 2B 3B
Smith 0/2 BB
Bastidas 0/3 K

I missed this. Lynn is drinking the cool-aid. Worried that Harris will have to deal with roster crunch when all the prospects come up. Baez will be gone in a year (though he does not say who will replace him.) It is a glorious new day under Harris (even though most of these guy were brought in by Avila.)

Henning: TigerTown’s steady talent uptick shows what’s coming Detroit’s way

The hard part for Harris will be in shoring up soft spots and sorting out an overload of similarly skilled — and similarly deficient — guys at too many positions (specifically, outfield, third base, and second base).

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I missed this. Lynn is drinking the cool-aid. Worried that Harris will have to deal with roster crunch when all the prospects come up. Baez will be gone in a year (though he does not say who will replace him.) It is a glorious new day under Harris (even though most of these guy were brought in by Avila.)

The hard part for Harris will be in shoring up soft spots and sorting out an overload of similarly skilled — and similarly deficient — guys at too many positions (specifically, outfield, third base, and second base).

Yeah, tough problem to have if a bunch of prospects hit at the same time, especially fi they are all good.

I know this is a foreign concept, having a surplus of talent.  It's not been seen in these parts in a long, long, long time.  My humble suggestion, were it to happen, would be to trade to address other needs with the club.  Does anyone disagree?  Maybe move a prospect to Cleveland for their OF dimensions?

22 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lynn's big suggestion for the future is to trade Skubal, because so many teams win WS without staff aces.

• Haha 1

Lynn ended up being right about us trading Fulmer when he had peak value but the difference was that was when we were tearing things down to the studs and preparing for a long rebuild so it did make sense to trade a young pitcher.

Now though that we are closer to contention or atleast we hope to be it doesnt make as much sense cause you are going to need a guy like Skubal in your rotation at some point anyway if you truly plan on contending. 

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lynn ended up being right about us trading Fulmer when he had peak value but the difference was that was when we were tearing things down to the studs and preparing for a long rebuild so it did make sense to trade a young pitcher.

Now though that we are closer to contention or atleast we hope to be it doesnt make as much sense cause you are going to need a guy like Skubal in your rotation at some point anyway if you truly plan on contending. 

the other difference is that Skubal's stuff is miles better than Fulmer's.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Roster crunches are not something I ever worry about.  They usually work themselves out through failures amd injuries.  If not, then you've got a good situation.  

Edited by Tiger337

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I am on board with trading Skubal, by the way. Flexor injuries tend to be Tommy John precursors. Of course the people you are trading him to know this as well, so not sure you can extract max value.

OTOH, Anibal Sanchez pitched years after enough surgery to have led to a much lower expectation. I don't know if the surgeons can tell anything about what kind of prognosis they expect based on what they see and how the procedure went but unpredictability seems predictable....

7 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I am on board with trading Skubal, by the way. Flexor injuries tend to be Tommy John precursors. Of course the people you are trading him to know this as well, so not sure you can extract max value.

It does seem we need someone really good to get someone really good back. With starters only going five to six innings now position players value should be even higher in comparison.