Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

All I watch is the highlights but Carpenter does not seem like Timmy Lupus to me.  It's been pointed out that he does not make plays at the wall but other than that he seems adequate enough that he does not have to DH full time.

Of course he immediately makes a bad play...but then hits a home run.

11 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Probably Maton back to Toledo. Baddoo sits against lefties and Miggy DH. Carpenter DH against right handers.

Couldn’t you just cut Ibanez or demote Maton?  Neither would be missed.  I do think the OF will be Greene, Meadows and Carpenter most of the time.  Baddoo will likely see his playing time decline in the process.  You don’t call up Parker to sit.

So, does Greene move to LF?  The right move, but he might not be a fan.  Should keep him healthier, though.

• Like 2

I'd dump Ibanez.  Go with platoonishy things at 3B & 2B, although I would have Vierling playing everyday at 3B or OF.  Baddoo has gotten his bat in order lately.  Oh, wait, Maton has cooled down after looking corrected.  Maybe he goes down to Toledo for now.  But if they decide to call someone up that needs a spot on the 40, I would think Ibanez is the victim there.

It'll be interesting to see where Meadows plays.  Baez, Meadows, catcher as the bottom 3 in the order?  If Baez can revert back to some semblance of himself, if the catching duo can provide some thump, Meadows in between has no pressure at the outset.  Just field the ball, get your experience at the dish.

Greene and Carpenter have earned a spot in the everyday lineup.  Maybe one or the other gets a day off vs tough LHPs, and that's fine.  They aren't likely to play 162 games anyway.

42 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Couldn’t you just cut Ibanez or demote Maton?  Neither would be missed.  I do think the OF will be Greene, Meadows and Carpenter most of the time.  Baddoo will likely see his playing time decline in the process.  You don’t call up Parker to sit.

So, does Greene move to LF?  The right move, but he might not be a fan.  Should keep him healthier, though.

Riley played left to Parker in CF when they were in the minors together. Riley has talked up Parker as the best OF in the system. I don't think it will be a issue.

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

seem like it has to be either Ibanez or Maton. Since Parker is another LHB, that one thing tipping the scales toward keeping Ibanez.

Yes, that’s probably the offsetting move this time around.

I don’t know, should we expect Malloy to be promoted this season?  He’s not on the 40, and his defense is lacking.  Do they decide instead to pull up Lipcius or Kreidler, guys already on the 40 and a much more direct replacement for Ibanez?

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, that’s probably the offsetting move this time around.

I don’t know, should we expect Malloy to be promoted this season?  He’s not on the 40, and his defense is lacking.  Do they decide instead to pull up Lipcius or Kreidler, guys already on the 40 and a much more direct replacement for Ibanez?

Wenceel should get some notice, imo.

14 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Wenceel should get some notice, imo.

That’s fair.  But I think decisions on Kreidler and Lipcius are due before Perez.  Or maybe they’ve already been made and they’re simply nothing more than injury depth at this point.  Kreidler can’t stay healthy and Lipcius’ bat was nothing special this season.

My "guess' is  Ibanez who I don't think is in the future plans at all. Maton came in trade so Harris probably will defer to him even though he probably should be the one being demoted based on 2023 performance. Meadows will play center and Badoo needs to keep playing left since he is doing better so Riley will see some RF I guess even though it's his third best outfield spot just to accommodate Badoo and Meadows. I bet they rest Riley quite a bit also. Verling will play third mostly.Carpenter and Miggy at DH. 

McKinstry has fallen off a cliff.  At the end of May he had an OPS of  .832, led the team with 10 steals, and was a capable, versatile defender.  Maybe the best player on the team.  And since May 31, his OPS numbers for June, July and August are .485, .610, and .530 and he's getting plenty of playing time.  And he's 29 next year.

At the start of the year I said to myself "I like Vierling and McKinstry better than Willi and Harold"  because those were the roles I saw for them.  I still think that Vierling will survive, he's a RH who can play third or the outfield but he isn't going to start at either.  As for McKinstry he could stick around but only because he is LH at this point, and you can't carry both him and Maton.

• Like 1

A sweep for the whole system yesterday.

Toledo W 3-0
Perez 0/3 BB CS
Malloy 1/3 RBI BB K
Keith 1/4 RBI K 2B
Leonard 0/4 K
Kreidler 1/2 RBI 2BB HR K
O'Loughlin 5IP H BB 3K

Erie W 8-6
Cruz 0/5 K SB
Bigbie 0/4 BB
Jung 2/5 K
Lockhart 4.2IP 6ER 8K 2BB

WM W 5-0
Pacheco 1/2 RBI BB
Allen 1/5 3K 2B
Gold 1/3 BB 3B
Workman 1/2 RBI BB K CS

Lakeland W 6-0
Jarvis 1/5 2B RBI 2K
Anderson 4/5 SB
Sequera 0/5 RBI K SB
Smith 0/4 BB 2K
Bastidas 3/5 4RBI GSHR
Hamm 2IP BB 3K

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Barring injury, I am guessing Maton goes down. Vierling playing more third and Maton barely playing, send down the lefty for the lefty. 

I think so. The only thing in Maton's favor is that he is younger, but he's still not young enough that he's that much of a prospect to suddenly improve much or become part of the team 'future'.