Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Tigers up to 11 on Kiley McDaniel of  ESPNs updated system ranking, they are also only trailing the Twins(9th) among ALC teams. 

Considering most had us as a bottom third and in some cases bottom 5 team a year ago and now most have us as a borderline top 10 team that is quite the jump in less than a year.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Tigers up to 11 on Kiley McDaniel of  ESPNs updated system ranking, they are also only trailing the Twins(9th) among ALC teams. 

Considering most had us as a bottom third and in some cases bottom 5 team a year ago and now most have us as a borderline top 10 team that is quite the jump in less than a year.

Also a good example of how quickly fortunes can change on this front....

The gnashing of teeth after Law ranked them 30th hasn't aged like most people expected it would (Law included), one would guess.

Edited by mtutiger

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also a good example of how quickly fortunes can change on this front....

The gnashing of teeth after Law ranked them 30th hasn't aged like most people expected it would (Law included), one would guess.

Yep, I imagine we benefited more than most in regards to graduations since we really didn't have any major ones this year so by default we were likely to move up some just cause of that but that can't explain a 15+ ascent. 

1 minute ago, microline133 said:

Also, let's be clear, anybody that thought they got  a "real" prospect for Joe Jimenez....was, wait for the word, delusional.

This is a bummer.  I think a lot of us fell in that trap. Oh well, at least we have Keith that we can get excited about.  Unless we’ve also been deluded into thinking he’ll be any good, too?

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This is a bummer.  I think a lot of us fell in that trap. Oh well, at least we have Keith that we can get excited about.  Unless we’ve also been deluded into thinking he’ll be any good, too?

No, Keith is a real prospect. He's not a world beater, but he's a good player that will have a 7-8 year career 

15 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Harris mentioned having 3 CFs in the OF and the spaciousness of the home yard.  So it kind of difficult to see Malloy out there given that commentary.  And Malloy hasn't had a game at 3B since June 13.  We can see his 3B fielding numbers and they ain't pretty and they ain't improving.  The bat is fun, but where does he play?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/troy-melton-is-a-tigers-pitching-prospect-on-the-rise/

“What he brings to the table, first and foremost, is stuff. The fastball gets up to the high 90s. He can really spin it — it’s a solid 17-20 inches of vertical break — and pitch to the top of the zone. He’s understanding how to get to the bottom of the zone in quality areas. That’s kind of the next step in his development. He pitches with confidence. And he throws a bunch of strikes. He’s that combination of good stuff, good metrics, competitor, and strike-thrower. Put those together and what you have is a pitcher with a chance to have a pretty good career. He’s got a chance to be a two or a three on a good big league team. I like his ceiling.”

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So, is this Justice Bigbie for real?   Is this the next Carp?   

I don't think you ever know if a prospect is real or not until they face MLB pitching...

Even top 100 prospects flop in MLB.

So...

That is the ultimate test and, the answer to your question, won't be known until then...

52 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So, is this Justice Bigbie for real?   Is this the next Carp?   

I will say he doesn't have the power to be the next Carp. It's not a bad thing it is just a different type of player. If you look a lot of his hits are to the opposite field. He might tap into his pull power at some point but I would say, he has almost 200 ABs in AA and is hitting just under 1.000 OPS so it is hard to ignore. I think his hit tool plays but given the current outfield situation until there is an injury/trade I have a hard time seeing him supplant anyone and especially for an org that values versatility his only other position is 1B. That being said he could get to AAA and get roasted or you know these things have a way of working themselves out.