Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I'm trying to figure out how probability and on-field production are mutually exclusive, when teams have 10-100 person analytics departments whose primary goal is to quantify the probability of on-field production.

Then again, you can put 100 blind artists in a room with an elephant and you still won't get a painting of an elephant. There are still big uncertainties with predicting whether a MiLB hitter is going to succeed in the Majors because some of the relevant variables, whatever they are, remain unknown and thus hidden. I think this is where there has been a big divergence between pitching and hitting. I think teams are getting better at being able to measure and predict pitchers - but then the limitation there is that injury injects so much noise into success projection for pitchers that you still get poor levels of certainty, it's just for different reasons.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Then again, you can put 100 blind artists in a room with an elephant and you still won't get a painting of an elephant. There are still big uncertainties with predicting whether a MiLB hitter is going to succeed in the Majors because some of the relevant variables, whatever they are, remain unknown and thus hidden. I think this is where there has been a big divergence between pitching and hitting. I think teams are getting better at being able to measure and predict pitchers - but then the limitation there is that injury injects so much noise into success projection for pitchers that you still get poor levels of certainty, it's just for different reasons.

There are more failure stories than success stories though because the MLB is hard.  If you keep thinking every minor leaguer with an .800 OPS is going to have success in the majors you are going to experience a lot of disappointment.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

There are more failure stories than success stories though because the MLB is hard.  If you keep thinking every minor leaguer with an .800 OPS is going to have success in the majors you are going to experience a lot of disappointment.  

Hope is a dangerous thing, my friend.....

Toledo L 6-5
Malloy 0/4
Keith 1/5 2B
Leonard 2/2 2B BB SF
Dingler 0/4 K
Wentz 5IP 4ER 5K 2BB

Erie W 12-10
Cruz 0/2 3BB
Bigbie 2/4 BB K
Jung 3/5 HR 2B 3RBI K
Serretti 1/4 3K BB

WM L 4-3
Gold 1/5 2B
Allen 2/3 BB
Pacheco 1/4 K
Jobe 6IP 3H 6K ER

Lakeland W 3-2
Clark 1/4 RBI
Anderson 1/3 BB 2K
Briceno 1/4 K
McGonigle 2/4 2B
Campbell 1/4

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jung's power and numbers in general have been really good this year but it doesnt seem to have translated in the scouting views as it seems like most if not all haven't changed their views on him at all this year in terms of his grade or ranking.

Yes, It seems JJung gets a bit overlooked with CKeith on board - but he is looking more & more legit as an offensive player. His defense seems to be limited, but if he can play decent at 2B - that might be all it takes 'if' he is a plus offensive player.

Edited by alex

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jung's power and numbers in general have been really good this year but it doesnt seem to have translated in the scouting views as it seems like most if not all haven't changed their views on him at all this year in terms of his grade or ranking.

Probably a case where he is just now seeing his performance rise to where his grade and rankings were set.

Put another way, he's been on most of the Top 100 lists for a while now, and he's just now starting to perform like one.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Jung is going to be a Top 100 guy over the offseason and is performing well at AA...

If he has a strong spring do you throw him on the Opening Day Roster and see if you can't catch lightning in a bottle and get a draft pick?

They get 3 years per player, and can only get one pick per year; so I'd break it up a little.

Edited by Cruzer1

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Jung is going to be a Top 100 guy over the offseason and is performing well at AA...

If he has a strong spring do you throw him on the Opening Day Roster and see if you can't catch lightning in a bottle and get a draft pick?

I wouldn't be shocked if Keith and him both make the roster. At the end of the day if he struggles you can send him down to AAA but if you wait and then he does really well you get nothing.

"I talked to multiple people(scouts) that have watched Jobe that told me he has the best stuff from any starting pitcher they have watched this year or last year." Also liked how he said that he believes that Jobe will end up being worthy of his draft slot, he said that we may look back and regret passing on certain guys but in general Jobe will end up being worth what we gave him and where we picked him. 

• Like 2

A ton of mixed messaging across the system under Avila, made Player Dev tough... Hearing a lot better things now between Garko and Harris.

Frankly, this tracks. Even last year, the system showed a lot of signs. This year has been a great year on the system, IMO. More players emerging than fading.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

The International League this year is ridiculous. You look at those Toledo numbers and assume they would be at the top of the IL . Instead they are middle of the pack. Juiced ball? Robo umps? Lousy pitching? 

I think we're seeing a trickle down effect of the majors carrying 14 pitchers, and 1 extra player in their rosters.