Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 8/25/2023 at 5:56 PM, Edman85 said:

A ton of mixed messaging across the system under Avila, made Player Dev tough... Hearing a lot better things now between Garko and Harris.

Frankly, this tracks. Even last year, the system showed a lot of signs. This year has been a great year on the system, IMO. More players emerging than fading.

Also more guys with better skill sets in the system.

16 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

The International League this year is ridiculous. You look at those Toledo numbers and assume they would be at the top of the IL . Instead they are middle of the pack. Juiced ball? Robo umps? Lousy pitching? 

Tol scored 24, 7, 5, 16, and 10 runs this week, losing the 5 and 7 run games. Must make it difficult to evaluate these guys with the pitching so poor. Wenceel looks great since coming up.

Entering 2022,  Keith Law had Eddys Leonard as the 98th rakned prospect in MLB.  Szymborski had him at #48 according to ZIPS.  That system is all about stats, so it doesn't work for projecting prospects.  Regardless, he seems to have some offensive potential.   When I first saw  his numbers I thought he looked pretty good for a cash considerations acquisition, so I assumed he wasn't much of a fielder.  I am not reading anything definitive about him defensively, but he seems pretty intriguing for an under the radar pickup.      

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

Toledo W 6-1
Perez 1/5 2B K
Malloy 1/4 BB K
Keith 3/4 2RBI BB HR
Leonard 1/5 2K 
Dingler 2/4 2RBI
O'Loughlin 5IP 3H ER K BB

Erie W 5-4
Cruz 0/4 BB
Bigbie 2/3 RBI BB K 
Serretti 2/4 RBI K
Madden 5IP 2ER 2BB 9K 

WM L 5-4
Stephenson 0/4 BB K SB OF Assist
Gold 1/3 2B
Workman 0/5 RBI 2K
Allen 3/4 RBI HR BB K
Pacheco 2/4 BB K

Lakeland W 2-1
Clark 1/3 BB 2B
Santana 0/3 BB 3K
Jarvis 1/3 RBI K 2B
Anderson 0/3 BB K
McGonigle 1/3 RBI 2K SF CS
Campbell 1/3 2K
Hamm 3IP 2K 
Kohlhepp 1IP 2H BB 3K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

I have a theory that the Tigers want to see what they have, and will bring him up Sept. 1. I want to see how much SS he can play, in case something happens with Baez. He might opt out, the Tigers have to prepare.

They are preparing for an epic party.  

• Haha 1

There could be some truth to them specifically targeting Leonard with the hope that he could potentially be an option at short next year but I dont think its cause they are worried about Baez opting out.

I think it's more that they realize that they may be closer to competing for the division next year than they thought they would be at the start of this year nd they realize that one way or another upgrading at short may be needed to make that happen.

Basically if Javy opts out great but I think even if he doesn't despite his contract they will or already are looking for an upgrade at SS next year even if it means eating his contract or making him a bench player 

Edited by RandyMarsh

My “guess” is they are planning on Baez being their shortstop for 2024.  Perhaps their is a very small chance they see him at second base thinking that might unlock his bat. He hit well as a Met playing second and his Cubs best play was there also. 

But he isn’t going anywhere and Mike isn’t eating his salary. 

I think and hope for a better hitter in 2024. More XB hits even if less walks and more K. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I would assume Baez's hope is that he kills it the first four months of 2024 and we trade him to a contender, and I would also assume we'd be happy to oblige.

If Baez is killing it for the first 4 months of 2024 that would very likely mean the Tigers are close enough to the top of the division that he won't be traded. 

18 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

If Baez is killing it for the first 4 months of 2024 that would very likely mean the Tigers are close enough to the top of the division that he won't be traded. 

This might be right. I guess I subconsciously assume we're always going to play .400 ball! 😅

48 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

They would be stuck without a true shortstop.

I think they could find a weak hitting shortstop that can field the position well enough for a year until they have a better replacement.  If Baez doesn't hit, he is basically an expensive version of what Iglesias gave them previously.  

• Like 1

In Javy's last 18 full calendar months of baseball dating back to 2020 7 of them were sub .600, 7 600-.700 and 4 .800 plus. So basically for 4 years now almost 40% the time he has hit like almost literally the worst starting player in the league, another 40% of hitting well below league average and only 20% where he was a plus bat. If you put more weight on recent performances than that number magnifies even more so we're at the point where it's not just a slump more likely just the player he is now.