Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

But not before he drew a walk, to give him 101 on the season, with an OBP now at .432.  That's outstanding. Here's a good b-ref research project, when was the last time a Tigers minor leaguer drew 100 walks?

Jamie Johnson in 2013.  He was 26 years old in AA.  Nobody else has done it since 2006.  

20 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

But not before he drew a walk, to give him 101 on the season, with an OBP now at .432.  That's outstanding. Here's a good b-ref research project, when was the last time a Tigers minor leaguer drew 100 walks?

Jamie Johnson did it at Erie in 2013, 101 walks.  He almost did it at West Michigan in 2010 with 98.  Raise your hand if you remember Jamie Johnson.  He was a 5-9, 180 outfielder without much of a hit tool, no power, and no particular baserunning chops.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Jamie Johnson in 2013.  He was 26 years old in AA.  Nobody else has done it since 2006.  

Oh you got there at the buzzer!

Some great names in that search, Jordan Lennerton, Christin Stewart, Daz Cameron, Zach Short - they all led the organization but didn't break 90.

50 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am back to 1987 now, that's the next previous occasion to Jamie Johnson.  Bernie Anderson, age 23, drew 114 walks for High A Lakeland. Another little guy, no power, no demon on the basepaths, and after catastrophic failure at AA for the next 2 years he disappeared. 

• Like 1

Toledo L 8-6
Malloy 0/1 BB (not a callup so maybe an injury?)
Keith 1/5
Leonard 3/4 RBI BB K HR 2B SB
Dingler 2/5 2RBI 2K HR
Gipson-Long 1.2IP 4ER BB 2K

Erie W 9-7
Cruz 0/5 2K
Bigbie 2/5
Jung 2/4 5RBI BB 2K 2HR 

WM L 2-1
Stephenson 1/4
Allen 1/4
Gold 0/3
Pacheco 0/3
Jobe 5IP 4H 2ER 6K 2HR 

Lakeland W 10-3
Jarvis 1/4 3RBI
Clark 0/4 RBI BB 4K 
Anderson 0/4 2K
Briceno 2/5
McGonigle 1/3 RBI BB HR

• Like 1

Clark's been struggling at Lakeland but Im thinking it could just be him wearing down after a long season. I don't think it's unusual for HS picks to start to struggle at this point in the season their first year. 

Of course Mconigle seems to be doing just fine but he could be more of an exception and not the rule. 

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Clark's been struggling at Lakeland but Im thinking it could just be him wearing down after a long season. I don't think it's unusual for HS picks to start to struggle at this point in the season their first year. 

Of course Mconigle seems to be doing just fine but he could be more of an exception and not the rule. 

Yeah, I am not worried at all about him. The tools are obviously there and he has to adjust to proball. That being said McGonigle's hit tool is living up to the hype so far.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw an old poster (not Sportz!)  on twitter say that it might be good for him to experience failure because he's so cocky and might benefit from adversity.   I am not sure I believe that, but I've heard that theory before in many fields.  

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I saw an old poster (not Sportz!)  on twitter say that it might be good for him to experience failure because he's so cocky and might benefit from adversity.   I am not sure I believe that, but I've heard that theory before in many fields.  

that concept was trotted out wrt Riley at one point as well. You can call it cocky and in some cases that's probably true, but in some cases it's just not understanding what you don't know yet. Think about JV coming up for those two starts in 2005 and getting hammered. He had to experience that a FB good enough to put away any MiLB hitter still needed secondary pitch support in the Majors so he went back and learned what he had to. But it's not like the confidence he had wasn't justified based on his experience to that point.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

09/05/23CF J.D. McLaughlin assigned to Toledo Mud Hens from FCL Tigers.

Now that is a jump! Not sure why he got moved all the way up, not like he was killing it when he played in the FSL previously.

Happens every year... Toledo isn't in a playoff hunt and they didn't want to disturb the levels that are.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

09/05/23CF J.D. McLaughlin assigned to Toledo Mud Hens from FCL Tigers.

Now that is a jump! Not sure why he got moved all the way up, not like he was killing it when he played in the FSL previously.

he and Alvaro Gonzalez both moved to Toledo because, to be blunt, they are not priorities so no concerns about how moving them will effect their development 

• Like 1

also noticing that the system is improving, even with a decent number of guys stalling out or washing out or getting demoted, as you would expect every year.

Pacheco, Santana, Graham, Sequera have all disappointed

Couch, Serretti and Cruz flashed for a few months, but not much talent there IMO

Workman got demoted; Cabrera looks done