Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

12 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

If he could actually play second base, that would be great.  It didn't sound that way on draft day, it sounded like he was a guy with no position, so another eye-roller pick by the Tigers.  An average defender with consistent power, who can stay in the lineup against lefties, that would be the answer to a prayer.

What?  You can't just let a left handed batter hit against a lefty.  Not gonna fly with Hinch in charge.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

He never played so much third base as when he came to the big club. It was a need we had that we hoped he could fill. That’s tough to do at the big league level, and he got raked for it. I’d bet he’ll get some offseason work at third base for one more go at it, but I’d also bet we’ll take a long look at him for second or even short.

I wonder if they never played him at third base that we might have a totally different player ? Does playing out of position affect your hitting ? I really don't know but I suspect it might. I don't subscribe to this versatility emphasis of Hinch apart from having one utility guy. He played Parades at 3b and 2b and the Rays only at 3B  ( some 1B). Did that help him relax and hit. I don't know but something unlocked him there. I think we are ruining Verling now and did damage to Maton. But I am just a fan so what do I know. It just seems when you know your job and can do it it's easier to perform. I don't call an electrician to fix a leaky pipe. 

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Cruz-Bigbie-Jung carried the Erie lineup since Keith, Wenceel and Dingler were promoted, but Cruz has fallen way off his early pace and Bigbie is now in Tol. It's Jung and a bunch of blah.

As someone who types out game stats pretty regularly, it is hard not to put the whole Toledo lineup on sometimes as all the best performers are pushed up. Serretti has crashed pretty hard in AA, Cruz has dropped off as well as you noted. 

Toledo L 4-1
Maton 2/5 K
Malloy 0/2 3BB 2K
Keith 2/4 RBI BB 2K
Leonard 1/5 3K
Bigbie 0/4 2K
Dingler 0/4 2K

Erie W 4-3
Jung 1/4 HR RBI BB K
Serretti 1/2 2BB
Lockhart 5.2IP 5BB 7K ER

WM L 5-4
Stephenson 0/3 BB K
Gold 2/4
Pacheco 2/4 3RBI 2K HR
Melton 4IP 3K BB 4ER

Lakeland W 8-6
McGonigle 2/3 2RBI 2BB 2SB
Clark 0/3 2BB 2K SB
Anderson 1/4 BB K
Briceno 2/3 RBI BB 2 2B
Santana 0/2 RBI 2BB 2K
Campbell 1/3 3B BB

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

No idea what his defense looks like, but all he’s done is hit since becoming a Hen.  And pretty young for AAA.

Yes, he'll be 23 by Opening Day.  He's been playing mostly SS in Toledo.  .330/.414/.606 with 15 BB to 22 SO in 128 PA.  But that batting line, especially the BB to SO, is a bit out of line for the rest of his career.  I don't know, maybe he made an adjustment as soon as he landed in Toledo?  If so, is it sustainable?

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, he'll be 23 by Opening Day.  He's been playing mostly SS in Toledo.  .330/.414/.606 with 15 BB to 22 SO in 128 PA.  But that batting line, especially the BB to SO, is a bit out of line for the rest of his career.  I don't know, maybe he made an adjustment as soon as he landed in Toledo?  If so, is it sustainable?

Is his improvement due in part to facing AAA pitching, which hasn’t been very good this season?

3 hours ago, casimir said:

In the one game we saw him play at Toledo, he didn't do anything notable with his glove one way or the other.

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Is his improvement due in part to facing AAA pitching, which hasn’t been very good this season?

That’s certainly possible.  Time will tell.  I’d imagine he’s not likely an option for Detroit next season, so we’ll see how he fares in Toledo next season.

59 minutes ago, casimir said:

That’s certainly possible.  Time will tell.  I’d imagine he’s not likely an option for Detroit next season, so we’ll see how he fares in Toledo next season.

I'm not sure that SS is completely locked down next season.  I don't see the Tigers giving Baez 150 games if he performs like this again.  Maybe not cut, but he could become a super utility guy.  Let's hope it doesn't come to this.

The low walk totals has been the most pleasant surprise for me. From what I could gather from reading articles about him though is that it sounds like it's more control then command along with just having wicked stuff that maybe more advanced hitters won't offer at, we shall see going forward.

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, bsc3165 said:

So, is Jobe's next start for Erie this week, AFL this fall, or Spring Training?  Other than his back, I consider this year a good step forward for sure!  What's the prevailing opinion of the group?

He added a cutter that...like the rest of his stuff...has a very high spin rate.  It seems to have made a world of difference in his arsenal...he's definitely taken a big step forward this year

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

just having wicked stuff that maybe more advanced hitters won't offer at, we shall see going forward.

Yup - definitely can be a problem for guys that rocket through college/lower levels based on swings at out of zone breaking balls that MLB hitters will mostly let go by. And it's hard to get guys to work on throwing strikes with breaking balls when they know they don't need to against the guys they are facing.