Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jobe starting in the regular season finale for the Seawolves on Sunday. Don't know how the AA playoffs work but Erie is in them so he may pitch there as well. Either way I wouldn't be shocked if he pitched in AFL this year since he hasn't thrown that many innings. 

On 9/11/2023 at 8:55 AM, bsc3165 said:

So, is Jobe's next start for Erie this week, AFL this fall, or Spring Training?  Other than his back, I consider this year a good step forward for sure!  What's the prevailing opinion of the group?

Question answered 😎 Hopefully at least 2 starts at Erie coming up, regular season and playoffs. Looking forward to seeing the K/BB #'s continue 😀

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

This is an unexpected honor

IMG_9437.jpeg

The reports I read say that he makes all the routine plays so if that's true making the routine plays and not making any major blunders may be good enough in other managers eyes to be worthy of the award in High A since his counterparts may not even be able to do that. 

Or in other words his defense may not translate to the MLB level but is more than fine for High A.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The reports I read say that he makes all the routine plays so if that's true making the routine plays and not making any major blunders may be good enough in other managers eyes to be worthy of the award in High A since his counterparts may not even be able to do that. 

Or in other words his defense may not translate to the MLB level but is more than fine for High A.

JJ is 23? It's an good question when the clock runs out on the ability to improve as a fielder. Some hitters may still improve up to their middle 20's, I suspect on average your ceiling as a fielder hardens sooner than that, but I don't know of any real data/research about it.

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Base on my observation (which isn't enough) minor league defense is bad.  The difference between MLB and MILB fielding looks as big as the difference between MLB and MILB hitting.