Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Bought tickets this morning for the Erie/Richmond playoff game Tuesday night. It’s as close as Erie plays to our area. 
The Richmond team led all AA teams in attendance this year. Considering they play in an old and very outdated stadium, it’s quite a compliment to the organization and fans there. 

• Like 2

Have to feel some optimism about how the minors are ending.  Malloy, Keith and Jung are knocking on the door after exceptional seasons. Bigbie, maybe too, but doesn’t have the same pedigree as the others, so will be interesting to see him next season at Toledo.

Even Flores, Madden and Hurter have ended the season on a high note, along with Jobe.

Encouraging way to enter the offseason.

Edited by Tenacious D
  • Like 1

Going to the closing game is a big priority for me.  It is the last chance to see the team before the days get short, the weather gets gold, and the daily rhythm of games is gone.  Plus, being at the last Tigers home game, I've seen some cool stuff.  Shane Halter play nine positions, the White Sox close out the division in 2005 (not that cool for us but kind of a cool event), 2014 clincher, and others.  Everybody loves opening day but I think closing day is better.

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Can they make the playoffs?

I guess I'm not sure how the International League does the playoffs.  I see on the MILB app (make sure you enunciate that correctly) that they had a first half and second standings in addition to overall.

Regardless, the "offense" that was witnessed today was awful.  Darn near no hit today.  Bigbie drilled a line drive double to CF.  Malloy had a few SOs and then took a pitch off of the chest and defensively, missed two right side groundballs that I think he should have had.  Granted, I'm no scout and my angle might not have been good enough to judge it well (behind the 3B dugout).  Maton just doesn't look like he has a stable enough stance at the plate, looks somewhat wobbly when he releases which cannot help his eyes/head stay on the pitch.  Dingler nearly parked one down the LF line, but it didn't clear the wall, so he ended up with a double.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Can they make the playoffs?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. 

The first half winners in the International League were Norfolk and Iowa. Norfolk in the East and Iowa in the West. Currently the second half leaders are Durham in the East and Nashville in the West. 
So, if the regular season ended today, Durham would play Norfolk in a series and Iowa would play Nashville in a series. I believe these are best of three series. The East winner would advance to play the West winner. Don’t know if the championship game is a single game or not. From this point I believe the IL champ would play the Pacific Coast League champ in a single game championship. 

Looking closer at the IL playoff format:

The first half winners will host the three game series. There will be no home games for the second half winners. So Norfolk and Iowa will host. The winners of these two brackets will go to Vegas for the championship games. 
Not really sure why there  isn’t at least one home game for each team that makes the playoffs. When all else fails, I blame Rob Manfred. 

Henning has a piece out with Iapoce talking up JHM at 3b, Keith at 2b, Kreidler at SS.

JHM: Iapoce says it’s better to focus on improvements. “The work behind the scenes — people haven’t gotten to see all of that." “He’s gained confidence. He’s been making plays. He’s been good.”

Keith: “He’s improving at second,” Iapoce said. “His detail, his maturing in his practice work — what you come to understand is it’s not about the rep, it’s about respecting the rep.” “In his work since then (Trammell's visit),” Iapoce said, speaking of Keith, “you can see a little different focus on the details. He realizes it’s more than just taking 100 ground balls." “He’s maturing in his work. And it’s pretty cool to see.”

Kreidler: “He’s a game-changer at shortstop."

23 hours ago, 1776 said:

Bought tickets this morning for the Erie/Richmond playoff game Tuesday night. It’s as close as Erie plays to our area. 
The Richmond team led all AA teams in attendance this year. Considering they play in an old and very outdated stadium, it’s quite a compliment to the organization and fans there. 

Hoping they can keep the team there. The last report I saw that construction on a new facility won't begin until sometime next year and be completed in 2025 outside the MILB timelines. 
I'm not crazy about the location, part of it is my dislike for that stretch of the freeway. Too many ramps and crazy drivers. That said I don't know where I'd locate it for what they want to do. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Henning has a piece out with Iapoce talking up JHM at 3b, Keith at 2b, Kreidler at SS.

JHM: Iapoce says it’s better to focus on improvements. “The work behind the scenes — people haven’t gotten to see all of that." “He’s gained confidence. He’s been making plays. He’s been good.”

Keith: “He’s improving at second,” Iapoce said. “His detail, his maturing in his practice work — what you come to understand is it’s not about the rep, it’s about respecting the rep.” “In his work since then (Trammell's visit),” Iapoce said, speaking of Keith, “you can see a little different focus on the details. He realizes it’s more than just taking 100 ground balls." “He’s maturing in his work. And it’s pretty cool to see.”

Kreidler: “He’s a game-changer at shortstop."

All good news, although I am not surprised that a manager would be talking up his players.  

Also, no position give for Malloy which Micro warned us about ("no position mentioned means no position"

Edited by Tiger337

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

All good news, although I am not surprised that a manager would be talking up his players.  

Also, no position give for Malloy which Micro warned us about ("no position mentioned means no position"

The rose tint on Henning's MiLB glasses is at least 2 full f-stops. I wouldn't put money on anything Lynn reports about any of these guys being able to play in the field. I'm glad Lynn is down on the farm reporting on these guys, just keep lots of salt handy when it comes to all those adjectives he so loves.

Edited by gehringer_2

I know it's not easy finding a two way player but it sure would be nice to actually have one prospect that we could feel good about with the bat and the glove. They don't need to be gold glove caliber or anything but just somebody that you could feel confident in that they can handle their position along with being able to hit.

Greene would probably be the closest to that in the past 15 or so years but even he had some questions about how he would handle center and in turn how well the bat would play if he got moved to a corner spot. But other than that every bat we've had seems to come with major defensive question marks, like not small question marks but like "they may need to be a DH" type question mark.

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know it's not easy finding a two way player but it sure would be nice to actually have one prospect that we could feel good about with the bat and the glove. They don't need to be gold glove caliber or anything but just somebody that you could feel confident in that they can handle their position along with being able to hit.

Greene would probably be the closest to that in the past 15 or so years but even he had some questions about how he would handle center and in turn how well the bat would play if he got moved to a corner spot. But other than that every bat we've had seems to come with major defensive question marks, like not small question marks but like "they may need to be a DH" type question mark.

Well, the good news is that I just happened across a story about Adrian Beltre, and he led the league in errors at least once early in his career. Some guys do get better.

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Austin Jackson didn't peak for very long, but he kind of fits.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He always had good range though.  

and it's also an argument to let a player concentrate on mastering the details of one position. Now to be fair, I don't see most of the Tiger 'wanderers' as candidates to be full time players anyway - with the possible exception of Vierling. If it had been me, once I saw that he could play a little 3rd I'd have let him concentrate on that as that is where he can ultimately be the best fit if he mastered it. He has enough arm, his platoon split is small. He's maybe a little long in the tooth, but OTOH, 3rd is not a completely new position for him.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

There was really no question about how Greene's bat would play at a corner. He was a top 5 pick when nobody was really expecting him to be anything more than a passable defender in a corner spot. His bat was always projected to play anywhere.

And Clark certainly fits the mold of a two way player, though he's still got a ways to go.

Edited by TigerNation
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Fall League Roster:

Tigers (Salt River): Jackson Jobe, RHP (No. 3/MLB No. 54); Jace Jung, 2B (No. 4/MLB No. 67); Wilmer Flores, RHP (No. 7); Hao-Yu Lee, 2B (No. 8); Justice Bigbie, OF (No. 21); Dylan Smith, RHP (No. 24); Tanner Kohlhepp, RHP; RJ Petit, RHP

lots of guys who were injured and did not get playing time they wanted; reading way too much into this, but interesting that Jung is going - 575 PAs already

24 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

lots of guys who were injured and did not get playing time they wanted; reading way too much into this, but interesting that Jung is going - 575 PAs already

I like that list.  Jung belongs—good for him to see some more advanced pitchers.  I think he’s in the bigs at some point next season.