Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 10/3/2023 at 7:35 AM, casimir said:

Alright, so what does this represent exactly?  Is this a reflection of performance during the just completed season?  Is it a futures value estimation?  Is it a combination of both, and maybe something else, too?  Justyn-Henry Malloy (nice typo, MiLB) played more innings on the dirt (510.0) than the grass (382.1).

I don't think Malloy is going to be playing on the dirt with the Tigers.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 8:41 AM, chasfh said:

I don't think Malloy is going to be playing on the dirt with the Tigers.

What's going to hapen to him?  Can he hit well enough to be a full-time DH?  If not, why did they acquire him?  Was it because they thought he could learn a position?

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think he's going to end up in left.

Have you traded Greene? I guess I could see Greene and Malloy at DH and LF as the season opens but as Riley rehabs he's going to bump Malloy out of left probably by mid-season. 

Edited by gehringer_2

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Have you traded Greene? I guess I could see Greene and Malloy at DH and LF as the season opens but as Riley rehabs he's going to bump Malloy out of left probably by mid-season. 

Greene had Tommy John, so I don't think he's playing outfield this year. But if I'm wrong and he is, then Kerry Carpenter may be on the bubble.

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is there reporting that Riley is expected to be in the outfield on March 28? I don't know which is why I'm asking.

I think Harper is a somewhat comparable case. He had TJ on his at the end of last Nov was back in the field in June of this season but at 1b

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Greene had Tommy John, so I don't think he's playing outfield this year. But if I'm wrong and he is, then Kerry Carpenter may be on the bubble.

Baddoo, Malloy & Carpenter may have a good chance at time in the OF early in the season as Greene works his way back (not counting if Harris makes a big trade for an OF'er or signs someone like Lee Jung-Hoo...).

But by midseason as Greene gets back out onto the OF... Baddoo might be the first casualty... but I think 2nd is that Malloy spends a lot of time at DH. Moreso than Carpenter as I think he will be holding on to RF for awhile, and not so much DH. 

But... we'll see.

So Greene's injury was entirely due to that diving catch? I was under the assumption that it was his throwing arm and it had a ton of stress built up on it over time and that catch was the last straw. Finding out that it wasn't his throwing arm throws that assumption out the window.

Has to be the first time ever, atleast at the major league level where a player tore his ucl from an impact play like diving on the ground.