Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think JHM has a shot at OF.

I guess it depends on how bad 'bad fielder' means. Almost no-one comes up from Toledo and is as good with the glove as his billing with maybe the exception of Parker Meadows, who does look exceptional out there. I would have to guess that means Malloy will be even worse than we suppose. I guess OTOH, Carpenter has not been as bad as his rep. Sure there are things he is pretty bad at which means he always fails the eye test. But his numbers argue he does enough ordinary stuff well enough not to be a serious liability (-2 Rdrs)

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess it depends on how bad 'bad fielder' means. Almost no-one comes up from Toledo and is as good with the glove as his billing with maybe the exception of Parker Meadows, who does look exceptional out there. I would have to guess that means Malloy will be even worse than we suppose. I guess OTOH, Carpenter has not been as bad as his rep. Sure there are things he is pretty bad at which means he always fails the eye test. But his numbers argue he does enough ordinary stuff well enough not to be a serious liability (-2 Rdrs)

I almost wonder if he gets traded... He was in Toledo all season and didnt get a sniff at the majors.... its not like defense magically gets better 

17 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I almost wonder if he gets traded... He was in Toledo all season and didnt get a sniff at the majors.... its not like defense magically gets better 

Your typical non-championship baseball FO, if they did want to trade him, would call him up ,to the majors first and hope he hits enough to burnish his trade value, and just endure 200 bad ABs if he doesn't. It's what the Tigers of yesteryear would have done. Soon enough we'll see what Harris does.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Unless they mother **** him like they did to Keith, he could be up quickly. 

Harris already eluded to the fact that he hasn't played against AAA pitching, and needs experience playing 3rd base. I would be surprised if he's up in 2024 at all.

Haven't we learned our lesson with Greene and Torkelson? We bring up these guys when they are too young and not ready, to play on a mediocre team and burn through their years of control. Why?

Yes they have had some individual success but also a lot of struggles. I think Harris has the right approach by not calling up players who are not ready. Counting on rookies is probably not a winning strategy. It's going to take time for all of our position players to develop. It will probably take a few years for some of them to establish themselves and some of them are just not going to make it.

I’m not sure neither Greene nor Tork would have gone through similar growing pains, even with more service time.  Both had made it to AAA.  

Hard to discern between important develop time and service time shenanigans, but I’m fine with a prudent approach.  We’ll likely already have three rookies in the lineup at the beginning of next year, which is probably pushing things.

I don't think there is any particular evidence that Tork is behind where he would have been if he had spent more time in Toledo. He took a few hundred AB to acclimate to MLB pitching. There is no way to prove that a few hundred more MiLB AB would have made any difference to that process, and you can argue just as easily it would just have delayed him getting to where he is now. And Riley put up 1.4 WAR as a rookie in a little under 2/3 of a season. If you can play at at 2 WAR/season rate in the majors that is where you should be. 

The Covid years cost those two, but I have problem with when either of them was called up.

Edited by gehringer_2

Keith and Malloy will be on the opening day roster.  It's way way way too early for Jung, he might not play for the Tigers at all in 2024.  I'm not sure that Dingler will ever play for the Tigers, or Wenceel.  Bigbie still doesn't understand that he isn't a prospect, so if he hits at Toledo he might get a look in August.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Keith and Malloy will be on the opening day roster.  It's way way way too early for Jung, he might not play for the Tigers at all in 2024.  I'm not sure that Dingler will ever play for the Tigers, or Wenceel.  Bigbie still doesn't understand that he isn't a prospect, so if he hits at Toledo he might get a look in August.

I can’t get behind way too early.  Jung performed very well at AA—he should start next season in Toledo.  Zach Neto is already playing in the league from his draft class. No issue with getting some PT in Toledo, but he’s already on the cusp of being ready. I’ll be bummed if we don’t see him by July.

13 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Bigbie will open for the Tigers. Keith and Malloy also. 

SKUBAL Mize Manning Olson and Hurter are your starters.

We need a 3B. Jung for Coby Mayo

51 minutes ago, Timmitch55 said:

Bigbie will open for the Tigers. Keith and Malloy also. 

SKUBAL Mize Manning Olson and Hurter are your starters.

We need a 3B. Jung for Coby Mayo

Bigbie, if he makes it, is 2025.  As it is, the Tigers already have 3 rookies penciled in for the start of the season (Meadows, Keith and Malloy).  I suspect they will limit to that.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Bigbie, if he makes it, is 2025.  As it is, the Tigers already have 3 rookies penciled in for the start of the season (Meadows, Keith and Malloy).  I suspect they will limit to that.

I don't see any possible way that Bigbie opens in Detroit, so in agreement here

But I don't agree that they will have any "limit" on the number of rookies on the roster.

I don't think they are afraid of turnover, or talent... so if Jung wins 3B in spring training, and Keith 2B, and Malloy LF...

Then we're starting with 4 rookies on the opening day roster (including Parker as you've mentioned...); I think there were reasons for holding these guys in the minors this year, and not pushing them to MLB. But I don't think that will hold next spring training.

IMO.

I agree with that as well... on Malloy.

I just don't think they will shut out any rookie in spring training that shows enough to make the roster.

But on Malloy...

Remember, we no longer have a locked in DH. So there is room for Malloy to be a part-time OF'er and a lot-of-the-time DH... Even with competition from Baddoo/ Vierling on making the roster... And even with Greene maybe holding down DH for the most part the first month or two of the season.

Wait: I think I just talked myself into Malloy needing to beat out at least Baddoo... otherwise, even if he has a good spring he may be squeezed on the opening day roster at least until Greene is more of an OF'er than a DH... Vierling can play anywhere... Baddoo & Malloy are mostly limited to LF.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't see any possible way that Bigbie opens in Detroit, so in agreement here

If a guy hits it changes a lot of possibilities. Now it's certainly granted that the bat we were seeing at the end of 2023 may not show up again next Spring. That's a better than even money chance with any minor leaguer who had a hot streak. But if it does you never want to say never.

Edited by gehringer_2