Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

28 minutes ago, kdog said:

Calling up Jung doesn't make sense to me...maybe they see something that we don't.

I'm just not sure what's going on in between Detroit and Toledo.  Is it really that much easier to have success at AAA and be completely confounded MLB pitching?  I mean, we see it with this organization.  Is it like that all over the place?

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Desperation often produces questionable responses.

Their entire modus operandi is to let this offense sit around in the name of development. Jung has huge defensive issues and we're still not sure he has solved his contact problems. 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I'm just not sure what's going on in between Detroit and Toledo.  Is it really that much easier to have success at AAA and be completely confounded MLB pitching?  I mean, we see it with this organization.  Is it like that all over the place?

It’s contextual, some hitters, like Nick Maton for example, have a flaw in their  approach that will be exploited by big league pitchers, but will still allow them to put up superior numbers in the minors. Those hitters need to stay down until they correct their approach to cover that flaw. Other hitters have a more well rounded approach, but just need experience.

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Honestly surprising given Hao-Yu  Lee seems like the only above average hitter in the lineup.

have a bunch of older non prospects (24-27) who regularly beat up on young pitchers. literally no batter on the team within 3.5 years of Lee

33 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Dingler 3 for 3 with two homers, a single and a sac fly. 7 RBIs. It's the 4th inning.

Considering his strong play this year and the fact he turns 26 in September it seems like it's now or never for him to get a call up this summer to see what he is capable of in the majors. If you're not going to do it now then there really isn't a point to keep him on the 40 man going forward. 

24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Considering his strong play this year and the fact he turns 26 in September it seems like it's now or never for him to get a call up this summer to see what he is capable of in the majors. If you're not going to do it now then there really isn't a point to keep him on the 40 man going forward. 

I respectfully have to disagree.  He’s still within prospect age and has missed considerable development time due to injuries over the years. Kelly is a free agent after this season and Dingler can slot in (or be promoted in the event Carson gets traded at the deadline). I think he’s fine.

• Thanks 1

Some crazy box score numbers from top to bottom (I'll stop at Lakeland though... lower than that is a bridge to far for me...). So... The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... although today was more like the Kick-Ass, the Good, and the Ugly. There's also the Inconsequential (Bad) but I'm not going to waste my time on that...:

The Kick-Ass:

Detroit:

A Colt Keith 4-5 with a double, HR & 2 singles = Kick-Ass!

A Reese Olson win is Kick-Ass! 6 1/3 Inn's, 4 H's, 0 BB's, 2 ER's

Riley Greene 2-4 with a HR and BB is Kick-Ass!

Wenceel Perez 3-4 with 2 doubles and a BB is Kick-Ass!

West Mich:

Jackson Jobe with a rehab start at 3 Inn's, 0 hits, 0 BB's, 4 K's... Good enough for a Kick-Ass!

Toledo:

Parker Meadows with a double & HR in a 2-5 with a HBP. Kick-Ass!

Dillon Dingler with 2 HR's and a single in 3-5 with a SF as well and 7 RBI's... definitely Kick-Ass!

The Good:

Detroit:

A Vierling 2-5 with a triple is Good

A bullpen with 2 2/3 Inn's, 1 hit, 4 K's and no ER's (even though Vest gave up Olson's 2 runs, he DID come in with men on 2nd & 3rd and one outs...). Good.

McKinstry & Baddoo chipping in with HR's is Good

Lakeland:

Andrew Sears is one of a several interesting Pitchers at Lakeland (see, it's not only hitters Briceno, Clark & McGonigle...). I don't know if any of them turn into real prospects... but they're doing well, at least at Lakeland this year (includes Joe Adametz, Jake Miller, Rayner Castillo, Zach Lee, and...): Sears pitched 4 SO Inn's today with 0 H's, 4 BB's (ewww... yes, he gives up too many BB's: 34 BB's in 47 Inn's) and 8 K's. Good. Not kickass.

West Mich:

Colin Fields pitched 4 shutout Inn's coming in after Jobe, he's an undrafted 2022 free agent (basically a 21st rounder), and gave up 7 baserunners (but a 1.09 WHIP this year) and got 5 K's... Good enough for Good!

Erie:

Workman hit a HR (and 5 RBI's) in a 2-5 today. Good!

Toledo:

Vilade went 2-6 with a HR and double (.318 BA and .933 OPS on the season) today. That's Good!

The Ugly:

Toledo:

Madden got rocked today with 9 runs (8 ER's) in 4 innings and 10 hits & 5 BB's given up... UGLY!!!

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1