Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Patrick Lee is 24...he should have been raking in Low A

You aren't wrong. But he's also somebody who went undrafted and unsigned and was playing in indy ball a month ago, so I'm not sure he should have been expected to pass any test. Not saying he's a prospect.

• Like 1

Cody had some interesting takes on his Pod this week.  One of the topics was how the Brewers manager apparently shared  that he felt his team was perfectly suited for Comerica and insinuated that the Tigers weren’t.  If the shift will be to find more guys who have contact skills with speed, that would make sense to me.  Probably not an accident that Clark and McGonigle both seem to fit that profile.  Maybe get some big boppers at 1B and 3B and fill in the rest with Brewers-type players.  I would put Greene borderline in that camp.  Small sample with Lee, and he has a long way to go, but he seems like a good profile for the CoPa

Edited by Tenacious D
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Cody had some interesting takes on his Pod this week.  One of the topics was how the Brewers manager apparently shared  that he felt his team was perfectly suited for Comerica and insinuated that the Tigers weren’t.  If the shift will be to find more guys who have contact skills with speed, that would make sense to me.  Probably not an accident that Clark and McGonigle both seem to fit that profile.  Maybe get some big boppers at 1B and 3B and fill in the rest with Brewers-type players.  I would put Greene borderline in that camp.  Small sample with Lee, and he has a long way to go, but he seems like a good profile for the CoPa

What?  A team that can't hit isn't suited to a particular ballpark?  Who would have thought.  

I think that was a blatant insult at the brain trust of the tigers.

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I heard that, its towards the end of the podcast if anyone wants to listen to it.  I liked watching the Brewers' brand of baseball that series but hadn't connected it to Comerica.  I've always wanted an OF with range and defensive skill sets to go with an offense that gets on base and creates havoc on the bases since they moved in there.  They've never quite accomplished that.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I heard that, its towards the end of the podcast if anyone wants to listen to it.  I liked watching the Brewers' brand of baseball that series but hadn't connected it to Comerica.  I've always wanted an OF with range and defensive skill sets to go with an offense that gets on base and creates havoc on the bases since they moved in there.  They've never quite accomplished that.

They are in a similar market to the Tigers and are 23rd in payroll, right behind the Tigers:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/_/year/2024/sort/cap_total2

They also have the courage to make a Burnes trade to another contender without worrying how it will be viewed by their fanbase. They turned him into Joey Ortiz who is now one of their best hitters. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, casimir said:

the thing is, if you are going to build a lineup with speed and contact skills, it can't have terrible holes in it, you need everyone to to at least average OBP so you have a decent chance of stringing things together once in a while.  If you score using a lot of power, that's less important. If you look at the Tigers now, you see Keith and Perez with low K, potential for decent averages, if they develop a little more walk skill they could play on a team like that. And if Parker could hit for a little more average, his walk rate is usually decent and he has speed so there is another guy that moves you in that direction - if he can hit enough.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

the thing is, if you are going to build a lineup with speed and contact skills, it can't have terrible holes in it, you need everyone to to at least average OBP so you have a decent chance of stringing things together once in a while.  If you score using a lot of power, that's less important. If you look at the Tigers now, you see Keith and Perez with low K, potential for decent averages, if they develop a little more walk skill they could play on a team like that. And if Parker could hit for a little more average, his walk rate is usually decent and he has speed so there is another guy that moves you in that direction - if he can hit enough.

Oh, I'm not suggesting they go all Whitey Herzog Missouri track team without home run threat up and down the order.  They'll need to have some power threat, even if its not big bopper types.

On 6/24/2024 at 9:34 AM, 1984Echoes said:

I will do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to avoid becoming a bitter old man.

I hate even thinking of that. I've seen it in grocery stores where two 80 years olds (Boca Raton, FL, a long time ago) are screaming at each other at the top of their lungs: "You weren't in the meat department. You were SUPPOSED to meet me in the MEAT department!!!" Etc.

Yeesh.

No, I prefer my mostly upbeat optimistic basic core personality.

I'm good with that.

when were we at the same grocery store?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Oh, I'm not suggesting they go all Whitey Herzog Missouri track team without home run threat up and down the order.  They'll need to have some power threat, even if its not big bopper types.

I wasn't necessarily espousing that as a strategy either, just making that point that whether or not it may work in some cases, it definitely can't work when your roster is rotating through 6 or 7 guys who don't maintain a decent OBP.

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

i would like to see them try that.  

otoh, dombrowski put together the last tiger teams to win multiple american league pennants and he did it with a team of power hitters who were decidedly bad at defense at most major positions.

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

otoh, dombrowski put together the last tiger teams to win multiple american league pennants and he did it with a team of power hitters who were decidedly bad at defense at most major positions.

It all depends on which kind of hitter you think is going to fall off more against top pitching, and I think it goes either way. The real key for the playoff is hitters than bear down, adjust to what a pitcher is doing, and fight through tough ABs, the converse is a team that is concentrating on looking for mistakes to drive. The latter team may do well in the regular season, but they are going to suffer differentially in the playoff if they dont get a lot of mistakes to hit..... Of course it may also just come down to who can hit in the cold if the Series ends up North late in Oct. 🥶

Edited by gehringer_2

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

Yes, he did.

That and also a very good starting rotation to go with it.

In 2012, they had the seventh ranked payroll, in 2013 and 2014 it was fifth. They were able to spend to correct roster holes and fix mistakes.

That's not happening anytime soon...so they will have to build a team with much better player development and contract discipline.

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

I know it's nitpcking but I don't think of the 2006 team that way.  The 2012 team, yes.  But that version in franchise lore over achieved in my opinion.  Yes, I said it.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I know it's nitpcking but I don't think of the 2006 team that way.  The 2012 team, yes.  But that version in franchise lore over achieved in my opinion.  Yes, I said it.

Nothing wrong with saying it.  That team came out of nowhere and that was their lone playoff trip.

1 hour ago, alex said:

Yes, he did.

That and also a very good starting rotation to go with it.

This Phillies team is classic Dombrowski, except the bullpen is more reliable. Lineup of mostly veterans acquired from other organizations with power and spotty defense in places. And a killer rotation, many of whom are homegrown. He is a master of the quick turnaround. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

2012 and 2013 underachieved, imo.  with that starting rotation and miggy in his prime?