Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Clark was always the long term-high risk play, but I see Langford had a fantastic June.

Regardless of what Langford does, I’m on board with the Clark pick (I was not at the time).  He’s a better fit in Comerica and should be more well-rounded.  Looks like a legit leadoff guy, which we’ve lacked for a long time.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

Clark was always the long term-high risk play, but I see Langford had a fantastic June.

And that is great for him; he returned from his injury and seems to be playing well at least for June. One thing that stood out to me on Harris' recent interview was his talking about how important outfield defense is in his mind regarding run prevention. The one knock on Langford is he is pretty much a left-fielder with thoughts having him, which I am sure he will do well there but Harris and his team put a premium on defense as an Org which you can agree or disagree with. It should be noted out of 61 games Langford has been a DH for 23 of them. 

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Just to highlight something I talked about before, Clark had a pretty good game last night but his HR was the 3rd lowest EV he had on the night. He needs to work on getting a better launch angle going forward but the power and hit tool are there along with the speed on the base paths.  

image.png.11c855c0c2ac0ca18f8f1c90145b65aa.png

Could easily be a 20/40 guy in the bigs.  Hate to make comparisons like this, but his potential reminds me of a slightly smaller, less powerful Mike Trout.  

No pressure, kid 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Just to highlight something I talked about before, Clark had a pretty good game last night but his HR was the 3rd lowest EV he had on the night. He needs to work on getting a better launch angle going forward but the power and hit tool are there along with the speed on the base paths.  

image.png.11c855c0c2ac0ca18f8f1c90145b65aa.png

Where do you get this data?

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Regardless of what Langford does, I’m on board with the Clark pick (I was not at the time).  He’s a better fit in Comerica and should be more well-rounded.  Looks like a legit leadoff guy, which we’ve lacked for a long time.

Harris also said on the podcast that it allowed him to also pay McGonigle and Wilson/Young (?) high school lefty.  Which might have been said to distract from Langfords June but I tend to agree because LLM stated as much.

What is melting a bit is Harris pointing out that Keith and all under 24 year olds are struggling because Langford and Churio are figuring it out. 

Toledo W 5-2
Meadows 2/4 BB 2SB CS
Baez 1/2 BB
Dingler 0/2 K
Bigbie 0/2 RBI 2BB

Erie L 7-6
Lee 2/5 2RBI 2K HR
Cruz 3/4 RBI HR
Workman 3/4
Melton 5.2IP 8H 6ER BB 6K

WM W 6-1
Anderson 2/4
Gold 0/3 BB
Campos 2/3 RBI BB 2B SB
Hamm 5IP 3H 7K

Lakeland PPD

FCL Game1 L 8-7
Montilla 0/4 BB 2K SB (20)
Fana 2/4 RBI HR
Salas 2/4 2RBI 2K HR
Jimenez 0/3 BB
Perez 1/3 3RBI HR
Dickerson 0.2IP H 2BB 

FCL Game 2 W 18-13
Montilla 3/5 2RBI BB K 2B HR SB (21)
Hernandez 2/4 RBI BB
Fana 2/4 RBI 2BB 2K 2B SB
Salas 3/4 BB K 2B
Perez 2/5 RBI 2K 
Wilson 4IP 9H 5R 3ER 2BB K

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Apparently BA just published their top 100, and we had 5 (unverified—saw on the Tweeter):

IMG_1506.jpeg

Can confirm, good to see Hamm getting some recognition. BA on Hamm

Hamm is at this point the second-best pitching prospect in the Tigers' system, trailing only the best pitching prospect in baseball (Jackson Jobe). He's a fast riser who should at least be a quality reliever, but with a solid chance to carve out a role as a solid midrotation starter.

Edited by LongLiveMaroth

2 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Can confirm, good to see Hamm getting some recognition. BA on Hamm

Hamm is at this point the second-best pitching prospect in the Tigers' system, trailing only the best pitching prospect in baseball (Jackson Jobe). He's a fast riser who should at least be a quality reliever, but with a solid chance to carve out a role as a solid midrotation starter.

Hope he can stay there.  The Failed Starter Club has too many members already.

2 Tigers make the BA hot-sheet this week.

6. Ty Madden, RHP, Tigers

Team: Triple-A Toledo (International)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 1 G, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 0 BB, 8 SO.

The Scoop: Madden’s gem this week is a palate cleanser after he allowed 14 hits and 13 runs in just 5.2 innings over two starts at St. Paul the week before. His adjustment to Triple-A has generally been a rocky one so far, but this week’s dominance of Louisville offers some reassurance. Madden relies heavily on his slider. When it’s working, he has success, but his fastball is too often squared up, which means he needs to find either a little more velocity, or develop another fastball, as Triple-A hitters aren’t having problems handling elevated fastballs at the top of the zone. (JC)

13. Max Anderson, 2B, Tigers

Team: High-A West Michigan (Midwest)

Why He’s Here: .375/.444/.750 (9-for-24) 7 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 3 BB, 2 SO, 1-for-0 SB.

The Scoop: In the first game of the Whitecaps series with Lansing, Anderson yanked a home run to left field and ripped a double down the left field line as well. From there on, the Lugnuts stayed away from trying to bust Anderson in on the hands. So Anderson adjusted by driving the ball to center and right field the rest of the week. Anderson is actually more comfortable going to center and right field and racking up singles and doubles, but he does have enough ability to yank a ball to keep pitchers from getting complacent. Whether Anderson can stick at second is an open question, but there are many fewer concerns about his ability to hit. (JC)

3 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

6. Ty Madden, RHP, Tigers

Team: Triple-A Toledo (International)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 1 G, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 0 BB, 8 SO.

The Scoop: Madden’s gem this week is a palate cleanser after he allowed 14 hits and 13 runs in just 5.2 innings over two starts at St. Paul the week before. His adjustment to Triple-A has generally been a rocky one so far, but this week’s dominance of Louisville offers some reassurance. Madden relies heavily on his slider. When it’s working, he has success, but his fastball is too often squared up, which means he needs to find either a little more velocity, or develop another fastball, as Triple-A hitters aren’t having problems handling elevated fastballs at the top of the zone. (JC)

Just to throw a little cold water on Madden's most recent start, Louisville's .711 OPS is good for absolute last in the International League (.773).  That's a cheaply calculated 92 OPS+.

Yes, I know, I'm a ray of sunshine at parties, too.

• Haha 1