Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Flattery was beelining for a 5 year deal over 100 million which I think the Tigers were not offering but now with his back "situation" that might not be so certain which opens the door for a less expensive extension but also hurts his trade value. I have no clue what Harris is thinking.  I think he gets traded and maybe resigned in the off season which is an option for Kelly as well but it seems historically that rarely ever happens.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Flattery was beelining for a 5 year deal over 100 million which I think the Tigers were not offering but now with his back "situation" that might not be so certain which opens the door for a less expensive extension but also hurts his trade value. I have no clue what Harris is thinking.  I think he gets traded and maybe resigned in the off season which is an option for Kelly as well but it seems historically that rarely ever happens.

I believe the Tigers traded Ben  Oglive to the Brewers for Jim Slaton. Then Slaton signed back with Milwaukee after the season. So the Tigers essentially gifted Milwaukee an All Star. 

Edited by SeattleMike
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Didn't the Yankees trade Andrew Miller and/or Aroldis Chapman and then re-signed one of them as a FA over that winter...?

Yankees picked up Chapman in '16 and set him to the Cubs in July, then got him back for '17. Stayed thru '22

I'm hoping Jobe is here sometime during 2025... if not on the opening day roster (which I don't think he will be... just sayin'... I don't want to rule anything out on him... I have no idea where the Org thinks he is developmentally or what else/ how much else he needs to work on...). But I'd like to see him on a "significant" basis in 2025... not just as a September call up.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm hoping Jobe is here sometime during 2025... if not on the opening day roster (which I don't think he will be... just sayin'... I don't want to rule anything out on him... I have no idea where the Org thinks he is developmentally or what else/ how much else he needs to work on...). But I'd like to see him on a "significant" basis in 2025... not just as a September call up.

He’ll be on the ‘25 Tigers opening day roster, barring injury or service time shenanigans.  Hell be ready (if he isn’t already).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He’ll be on the ‘25 Tigers opening day roster, barring injury or service time shenanigans.  Hell be ready (if he isn’t already).

Do you know this from the Org perspective? What they think?

Or is this just your best guess?

Just asking...

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Do you know this from the Org perspective? What they think?

Or is this just your best guess?

Just asking...

Unless you’re new to the Forum, you should know that I’m exceptionally ill-informed on all matters, though that never prevents me from sharing my opinions, sometimes stated as factual.

However, he’s lights out in Erie—if he can stay healthy and log some innings, I’d really be surprised if he didn’t make the big squad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I kind of hope they extend Flaherty and Kelly rather than trade them.  These deadline deals of rentals don't seem to have a high probability of success.  

I don’t know.  We got Olson for one of them.  Candelario and Paredes in another.  Even Lange exceeded considerably what we would have gotten for the few months.

i agree I’d rather extend, or better yet, trade and resign if they identify someone worth trading them for.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

I don’t know.  We got Olson for one of them.  Candelario and Paredes in another.  Even Lange exceeded considerably what we would have gotten for the few months.

i agree I’d rather extend, or better yet, trade and resign if they identify someone worth trading them for.

Sure, some of them work especially when you are giving up a reliever.  I always recommend trading relievers at the deadline.  Trading starting pithers and regular position positon players is more risky.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4hzglory said:

How quickly we forget the hyphenated one.   It’s only an arm injury—he’s not dead.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Sure, some of them work especially when you are giving up a reliever.  I always recommend trading relievers at the deadline.

Hmmmm.....

Move Maeda and Baez to the bullpen and then trade them?

• Like 1

Love that Franyerber swing!

I don't want to say the high leg kick of Max concerns me if it works for him but it seems like that is a little obsolete in today's MLB game but maybe I'm forgetting about some guys. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't want to say the high leg kick of Max concerns me

I will say it concerns me - some. Most hitters are forced to abandon big leg kicks once they have to face the level of velocity differential that major league pitchers can throw at them. No great hurry yet - he can wait and do at some point on his way up, but he might as well do it sooner as later because he almost certainly will have to eventually.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Love that Franyerber swing!

I don't want to say the high leg kick of Max concerns me if it works for him but it seems like that is a little obsolete in today's MLB game but maybe I'm forgetting about some guys. 

I think the same thing about McGonigle's back and forth toe tap.  Definitely not as high as Clark.  But it seems like it might be something that needs to be shortened as they climb the ladder.

On 7/8/2024 at 11:44 AM, Tenacious D said:

Unless you’re new to the Forum, you should know that I’m exceptionally ill-informed on all matters, though that never prevents me from sharing my opinions, sometimes stated as factual.

However, he’s lights out in Erie—if he can stay healthy and log some innings, I’d really be surprised if he didn’t make the big squad.

"if he can stay healthy" is doing a lot of work there...

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 10:57 PM, SoCalTiger said:

And I would think Kelly would be predisposed to signing with the Tigers since we have "nurtured" his renaissance and Hinch being a catcher if the $$ is right. Not sure what he brings back as a rental at the deadline so an extension wouldn't surprise me. 

Kelly’s going to want years. Are we willing to give him years?

On 7/7/2024 at 8:19 AM, casimir said:

Kelly is having a nice season and all, but his resume suggests this might be a bit of a mirage.  If they can trade him for some prospect of reasonable value, by all means do it.  A catching tandem of Rogers and Dingler isn’t what will hold them back next season.

This is a good point. Kelly was considered a big talent when he was drafted, so I think there’s a decent chance he’s unlocked something here. But there’s also a chance it’s some sort of outlier, and we’d have to decide whether to give him years before we find that out. That would be a risk, even at two years. 

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Kelly’s going to want years. Are we willing to give him years?

He is a decent player. He had shown flashes before, but like many injuries prop up. He had pedigree as a prospect - so this may not be a mirage at all.

Two years should be doable (IF the price is right). After all, we can say we have Rogers and Dingler - but one injury and it is back to the scrap pile. I prefer all 3 and then/when something happens we are still in decent shape. The C position for us has 'not' really been a problem (It has been for many teams). Maybe it is best to keep it that way in the 'D'.