Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Meh - McGonigle and Clark are no better or worse players today than yesterday because someone decided to rate them differently.

In a sense it's an easy call because McGonigle has OPS'd 100 pt higher, but how much has their projectability really changed? Depends on who is projecting I suppose...

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I guess I don't agree with the opinion that they shouldn't give him a spot start if they are short a guy before Mize gets back. Don't call him up into the rotation, just give him a spot start - shouldn't be a big deal for your top AA pitcher to make a cameo. Of course Wentz would be my candidate to drop from the 40, but I'm sure they don't want to cut an arm of any kind now.

Edited by gehringer_2

Jobe has only pitched 35 innings this season.  Unless they plan to send him to the Arizona Fall League again, he will not pitch enough innings during the regular minor league season to set himself up for a bigger workload next season. They will almost need to call him up to pitch in September to get more innings, once the minor league season ends.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Jobe has only pitched 35 innings this season.  Unless they plan to send him to the Arizona Fall League again, he will not pitch enough innings during the regular minor league season to set himself up for a bigger workload next season. They will almost need to call him up to pitch in September to get more innings, once the minor league season ends.

Starting a few years ago, the AAA and AA seasons extend well into September now.

10 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I don't recall this mich excitement over the farm system since the late 70's when the 84 nucleus was coming up.

Of course...trading Miller and Maybin for Miggy was pretty exciting too

Clark Jobe Jung and McGonIgle will all be good MLB players. I really like McGonIgle .......that guy is a hitter, always in play.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Starting a few years ago, the AAA and AA seasons extend well into September now.

IMO...

If they can squeeze in 1 or 2 MLB starts at the end of September for Jobe... I think they should do it. Give him the exposure. But that's just me...

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

IMO...

If they can squeeze in 1 or 2 MLB starts at the end of September for Jobe... I think they should do it. Give him the exposure. But that's just me...

I would be surprised Harris seems very slow with the Minor league guys look at Clark and Mcgonigle still at Lakeland

• Like 1

And now a double for Clark after McGonigle's 3-run homer...

So:

McGonigle is currently at .325 BA/ .873 OPS and

Clark is currently at .284 BA and .804 OPS....

When were they planning to challenge these two with a move to High-A?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And now a double for Clark after McGonigle's 3-run homer...

So:

McGonigle is currently at .325 BA/ .873 OPS and

Clark is currently at .284 BA and .804 OPS....

When were they planning to challenge these two with a move to High-A?

In the next week or two when the draft picks are signed is my guess. 

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I would be surprised Harris seems very slow with the Minor league guys look at Clark and Mcgonigle still at Lakeland

I wouldn't take giving a guy a spot start as implying all that much about your promotion schedule for him or that you're changing any of your system priorities. All it means is that he's a viable option for a short term need.

Why on God's green planet Earth is the SS Navagito playing CF for Toledo?   Can we stop moving everyone around to play every GD position?    Let the dude play short.   2 run error because he has no idea what he is doing.  Let's have Tork catch, Dingler play SS, Jung play 1B....what are we doing?   I get having lineup and defense flexibility but not everyone was born to play every single baseball position. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

Why on God's green planet Earth is the SS Navagito playing CF for Toledo?   Can we stop moving everyone around to play every GD position?    Let the dude play short.   2 run error because he has no idea what he is doing.  Let's have Tork catch, Dingler play SS, Jung play 1B....what are we doing?   I get having lineup and defense flexibility but not everyone was born to play every single baseball position. 

Maybe because Kreidler is at short.

5 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Maybe because Kreidler is at short.

I have no idea.  I just find this any guy, can play any position at any time philosophy maddening.    They open themselves up to more errors and guys that don't have all of the nuisances of playing each position.