Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, syrett4 said:

I have no idea.  I just find this any guy, can play any position at any time philosophy maddening.    They open themselves up to more errors and guys that don't have all of the nuisances of playing each position.  

Navigato is basically an org guy, he goes where they need him, and if he has any chance to make the show, it will be as a utility player, jack of all trades 

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

And now a double for Clark after McGonigle's 3-run homer...

So:

McGonigle is currently at .325 BA/ .873 OPS and

Clark is currently at .284 BA and .804 OPS....

When were they planning to challenge these two with a move to High-A?

another ridiculous game for McGoniClark: on base 7 times, 4 RBI, 4 runs scored.

15 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Navigato is basically an org guy, he goes where they need him, and if he has any chance to make the show, it will be as a utility player, jack of all trades 

Yeah I get this part of it too, and nobody really cares if the minor league teams win or not as it is all about development.  I coach IT in my profession and advise college men as a volunteer and I always try to setup men for success not failure.  Switching these positions all the time is maddening to me.   Maybe it's a me problem. haha

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

I've previously declared Harris as the loser in the Malloy trade.  I'd like to walk that back..

A bit of a slow start, but he has played 8 of the last 11 games, with an OPS over 1.000.

1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Clark and McGonigle catching and probably soon passing Campos in level is a big disappointment.  I was hoping he’d turn out to be a stud back when we signed him.

I think Campos took a tiny step forward this year.

I mean, he's got a LOT of more steps he needs to be taking...

But he's still only 21 so...

I'm not yet giving up on him.

But that's just me...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Clark and McGonigle catching and probably soon passing Campos in level is a big disappointment.  I was hoping he’d turn out to be a stud back when we signed him.

Probably because the beat guys were told to tell us he would be a stud back when we signed him.

Our presence in Latin America was so bare at the time that so many of us overlooked the way the entire signing was shrouded in mystery as we handed the kid by far the most money we‘d ever paid anyone. He was 16, he had no track record anyone could locate, unknown provenance, slipped into the US in a way no one could recount. We were so desperate for a win that we ignored all that and wanted desperately to believe he was our future.

The possible up side is that he is still only 21 and has time to make a mark, but really, if he hasn’t still done so in his first four years, that probably means there’s a good chance he’s going to top out in the bushes.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Probably because the beat guys were told to tell us he would be a stud back when we signed him.

Our presence in Latin America was so bare at the time that so many of us overlooked the way the entire signing was shrouded in mystery as we handed the kid by far the most money we‘d ever paid anyone. He was 16, he had no track record anyone could locate, unknown provenance, slipped into the US in a way no one could recount. We were so desperate for a win that we ignored all that and wanted desperately to believe he was our future.

The possible up side is that he is still only 21 and has time to make a mark, but really, if he hasn’t still done so in his first four years, that probably means there’s a good chance he’s going to top out in the bushes.

Yup.

I remember reading that he had Miguel Cabrera comps.  

Toledo L 10-3
Tork 0/3 BB 2K
Jung 1/4 2K 2B
Dingler 1/4 HR 2RBI 2K
Bigbie 0/3 BB 3K
Hurter 3.2IP 9ER 9H 4BB 2K

Erie W 6-3
Lee 1/4 RBI K SB
Workman 0/4 RBI BB 2K

WM L 4-2
Campos 0/3
Anderson 1/4
Gold 2/4 RBI
Hamm 4.1IP 4H 1ER 3BB 6K

Lakeland W 7-5
McGonigle 2/4 3RBI BB HR SB
Clark 3/4 RBI BB K 2B HR SB
Leonard 0/3 K

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Wasn’t he scouted/signed close to age 15/16?  You have to be able to project quite a bit.  I think a lot of these International guys are lottery tickets.  Very rarely do you hit on them, but it’s a nice payout when it does.

I can't speak for what the local newspapers were saying, but nationally there simply was not that much hype around Campos. In no way was he ever really considered some elite prospect or ever looked at as a future franchise cornerstone. 

And it's really weird to frame it as some huge mystery how he slipped into the US. He defected from Cuba years before he signed with the Tigers. He defected, like every single other Cuban player, when he had the opportunity to do so. We don't need to know the exact details of how it all went down. 

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Wasn’t he scouted/signed close to age 15/16?  You have to be able to project quite a bit.  I think a lot of these International guys are lottery tickets.  Very rarely do you hit on them, but it’s a nice payout when it does.

Yeah he signed at 16. He was less known publicly because the Tigers basically hid him from everyone else for a couple years before he signed. But yeah, he was just a lottery ticket, never really considered anything more than that.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Throwing almost three million dollars at a lottery ticket seems insane to me.

16 hours ago, casimir said:

Harris reads the forum.  Finally agrees with you MTFers that think the dynamic duo is ready for a promotion.

I think Briceno is also ready to be challenged at a higher (A+) level.

But he's been injured so he hasn't been able to show anything, obviously.

But I think once he completes a rehab, in Lakeland and/or at a lower level... He'll also join Clark/McGonigle in West Michigan.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They're all lottery tickets at that age though.

Some with more "perceived" ability than others.

Campos was supposed to be a "5-tool" star. A "hidden gem" from Cuba that the Tigers were able to, somehow, actually hide him in the Dominican, IIRC. By having him not play anything so... yeah, we "bought" him "sight unseen". Literally.

I don't think the book has closed on him yet. And I wouldn't read his first 4 years as "that's it, nothing more to see here". That's maybe just me... But I'm evaluating nothing right now as set in stone, I have zero expectations at this point, but ALSO a "wait-n-see" attitude. If he pops up all of a sudden... "Cool". If he never makes it and ends up as nothing more than "AAAA", which I think is where you have him at this point? Then it's "Oh well".

But, again... I don't think it's time just yet to just give up on him. IMO.

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

My cynical guess is somebody else fell through so they threw more money at Campos to use up the bonus money and Avila wasn't creative enough to trade excess pool space away. Just a theory...