Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Nowhere to go but up for Meyers, who was absolutely raking for much of the first few weeks in Lakeland.

FYI, you can go to any of the affiliates' roster page and get organizational transactions so you don't have to get your transaction news from this fraud.

https://www.milb.com/toledo/roster/transactions/detroit-tigers

This is new this year.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Edman85 said:

FYI, you can go to any of the affiliates' roster page and get organizational transactions so you don't have to get your transaction news from this fraud.

https://www.milb.com/toledo/roster/transactions/detroit-tigers

This is new this year.

Why the hate for her? She is literally battling cancer right now. She is also a huge advocate for minor league players.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Why the hate for her? She is literally battling cancer right now. She is also a huge advocate for minor league players.

Oh, where to begin... But there is a fine line between "influencer" and "expert," and she is very clearly the former. Perhaps a trailblazer in the "Overhype Tigers prospects" contagion that is all over social media.

Anybody who cites "career high in innings" for a first year player and gets treated as an expert just gamed social media algorithms.

Vociferously defending Sakowski is a scarlet letter for me too.

There's several other things I won't get into here, but I'll just say I had some suspicions about the roots of favoritism toward certain players confirmed.

Erie with some transactions...

Zac Houston to "The Development List" (Is this new name for Temporarily Inactive? Extended Spring Training?)

Markus Solbach off the IL.

Andrew Navigato up from West Michigan.

Part of me wonders if Navigato is backfilling somebody who may be going to to Toledo to backfill Kreidler... or maybe not, since one of the Castros is likely going down on Monday with the 26-man deadline.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Part of me wonders if Navigato is backfilling somebody who may be going to to Toledo to backfill Kreidler... or maybe not, since one of the Castros is likely going down on Monday with the 26-man deadline.

well if you just look at WM, you could read it as they want to give both Perez and Nivigato more playing time since both are out of the gate well, but the Wolves have even more IFs crowding the field and I have to think they want to give Workman all the time at SS they can.....Then again if W. Castro goes down, maybe they will put Short or Clemens on the 40 and call him up, and there is your opening at Toledo for someone from Erie.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I think she is a very weak prospect analyst and Baseball America made a mistake hiring her as their Tigers prospect writer.  While she is badly miscast as a prospect expert, she has apparently been influential in the advances made in the treatment of minor league players.  I also feel very bad for anyone who has to endure cancer.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I think she is a very weak prospect analyst and Baseball America made a mistake hiring her as their Tigers prospect writer.  While she is badly miscast as a prospect expert, she has apparently been influential in the advances made in the treatment of minor league players.  I also feel very bad for anyone who has to endure cancer.  

Interesting.

Probably more of a topic for the Media Meltdowns thread over in the political forum, but even outside of politics and in sports, journalists really have to walk a fine line between reporting the facts and letting advocacy or bias seep into their work. 

I don't want to say anything mean or speak out of turn though, I don't subscribe to BA and subsequently don't follow her work much. I just saw the tweet and shared it here.

Edited by mtutiger

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Dingler is our next great position prospect after Greene & Tork...

the guy with the .200 ba and 704 ops at his second straight year in double a?  he'll need to turn it around quick to get to where tork and greene were.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the guy with the .200 ba and 704 ops at his second straight year in double a?  he'll need to turn it around quick to get to where tork and greene were.

I think Kreidler has probably nudged past Dingler even if he didn't have the initial projection but neither is a sure thing. The 'best' position prospects in the system now might be Workman, Keith and the two big bonus internationals whose names escape me. Santana(?) and ?

Edited by gehringer_2

all four MiLB teams got their game in yesterday for the first time a few days

FT: Jobe:  3IP, 3H, 2ER, BB 3K HR

WM: Wilmer Flores 4IP, 4H 1ER 0BB 7K HR. Colt Keith hitting 288 and W. Perez 297 for the Caps.

ERIE: meh

TOL: Clemens 2/4 with his 6th HR. (884OPS) What's a guy gotta do?

46 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Kreidler has probably nudged past Dingler even if he didn't have the initial projection but neither is a sure thing. The 'best' position prospects in the system now might be Workman, Keith and the two big bonus internationals whose names escape me. Santana(?) and ?

santana is really struggling right now, but he's so young that its all projectability with him.

49 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Campos, Pacheco and Sequera are the others to look at in Lakeland it seems.

The concerns / doubts about Dingler's ceiling are fair, but the flip side of that is that it might still turn around given how small a sample size this season has been.

Using a example from the big club, granted less plate appearances, but Tucker Barnhart went from batting .167 to .317 and an OPS of .514 to 757 in about one week's time. Obviously can't depend on a hot streak like that all the time, (or perhaps the BABIP luck), but there's still a lot of time to raise those numbers.

The other question is what Dingler's ceiling needs to be in order for him to be a successful catching prospect - is it becoming another Joey Bart? Is it simply getting to the big leagues and being starter level? It can be a harder position to judge success because it's an offensive position on the field, yet the value is derived much more heavily on defense and the skill of being able to call a ballgame. If you look around the league, there's a reason catcher's generally aren't the best hitters on the field and are batting lower in the lineup.

Edited by mtutiger

if dingler pans out, he seems destined for jake rogers territory.  low ba with some pop.  that's not a terrible outcome for a second round pick.

its still very early in the year.  hopefully he picks it up and starts raking at erie.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

if dingler pans out, he seems destined for jake rogers territory.  low ba with some pop.  that's not a terrible outcome for a second round pick.

its still very early in the year.  hopefully he picks it up and starts raking at erie.

Nope, he's capable of hitting for average. Nothing like Rogers, swingwise.