Cruz 3/5 SB
Workman 0/5 3K
Jobe 4IP 3ER 5H 4BB 3K 

WM W 5-4
Clark 2/3
Anderson 1/4 2RBI K HR
Campos 1/4
Liranzo 1/2 RBI 2BB K 

I was at the WM/Ft Wayne game last night. We sat right in front of Max Clark's parents. They saw we had Tigers gear on and chatted with them a bit. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Tork...2 for 4 with another dinger...a 441 ft bomb to left center.  Avg up to .250 with an .827 OPS.  Will we see him in Detroit before September?

I don't want to see Tork until spring training next year.

I don't wanna see half-assed efforts at improving. I do want to see if he is 100% fully committed to being a better MLB player next year, in spring training... including fielding his position more seriously, as well as understanding what he needs to do with the bat to be successful against MLB pitchers. Adjustments included, or not. But definitely a better approach. I don't think he can get to that place this year. A stay in Toledo for a short while where he can essentially be the exact same as he was previously, 99%, and make a 1% minor tweak that earns him a "reprieve" is not enough, IMO. I want 100% commitment. I don't think we get to see that until 2025 spring training.

He's either committed next year, and on the Opening Day roster... Or he's not any different or he's giving up or just not taking this MLB-thing seriously enough... and then I'd rather see Keith at 1B and Jung or Lee at 2B. Tork can stay in Toledo as a AAAA... if that's what he prefers. Until Harris can figure out some trade for him to send him off.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

What do you see in his current play that suggests he shouldn't be back until spring?

His current play is in Toledo, so I haven't seen him.

What I saw in Detroit... just appeared to be...

Lackadaisical?

When I was watching him... it just didn't look like full effort. On the fielding side especially. 

But on offense, a refusal to make any adjustments to what MLB pitchers are trying to do to him, seems not only hard-headed, but... lazy.

I don't believe in Tork anymore. I don't believe he's committed to being the best MLB player that he can be. I believe an off season to make a mental attitude adjustment is required. Maybe I'm 100% wrong in this "assessment". But I don't believe in him any more. Unless I see something different. If someone posts a Toledo video and says: "Look at what he's doing now" that says otherwise... Awesome, bring him back up. But I've already seen him hitting a HR. So that video... isn't it.

I feel pretty confident in saying that if Tork was both not producing results AND not putting in perceived effort to try and get better that he would’ve been demoted earlier in the season and they would’ve made an effort to deal him for something at the deadline.

The reality is much more likely to be that we promoted him through the system quickly, he doesn’t have experience making a lot of adjustments as a result, struggled with timing and then pitch recognition trying to compensate, and lost confidence.  He has since been trying to retool his approach in Toledo and there are obvious positives and some collateral negatives that still need to be ironed out.  

i wouldn’t give up on Tork at this point, but it would be responsible for the organization to both exercise some patience with him for the rest of this year and also come up with a contingency plan for 1B if he can’t recover to be what we need him to be.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

that homer was off an 82 mph slider if i'm understanding the screen correctly.  the way i understand, the tigers wanted to see him hit velocity

I’ve seen reports that he was hitting over .300 on fastballs in Toledo.  I’ll have to find the source of that again, but there apparently has been improvement.  

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

His current play is in Toledo, so I haven't seen him.

What I saw in Detroit... just appeared to be...

Lackadaisical?

When I was watching him... it just didn't look like full effort. On the fielding side especially. 

But on offense, a refusal to make any adjustments to what MLB pitchers are trying to do to him, seems not only hard-headed, but... lazy.

I don't believe in Tork anymore. I don't believe he's committed to being the best MLB player that he can be. I believe an off season to make a mental attitude adjustment is required. Maybe I'm 100% wrong in this "assessment". But I don't believe in him any more. Unless I see something different. If someone posts a Toledo video and says: "Look at what he's doing now" that says otherwise... Awesome, bring him back up. But I've already seen him hitting a HR. So that video... isn't it.

You can say a lot of things about Tork, but lazy and lackadaisical are definitely not among them.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

i haven't seen that; i wonder if the stat is "fastballs" or like, 95+.  a toledo fastball ain't the same as a big league fastball, the duece's efforts notwithstanding

it was actually almost funny, the 1st week after he went down I don't think the Hens saw a single pitcher that threw more than 90, but that finally started to ever out. By my perusal of the gamedays, he has hit some velo. But my biggest complaint with Tork has been that I want to see him stop taking fastballs for called strikes - you can't hit 'em if you don't swing at 'em. Hard to tell without some stats collection whether he's being significantly more aggressive or not.

Edited by gehringer_2

57 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You can say a lot of things about Tork, but lazy and lackadaisical are definitely not among them.

He's another Tony Clark.  You can tell by his body language that he doesn't care enough.  And when he he does hit, he never does anything when it matters.  Watch.  He'll come up in September and start mashing now that they are out of it.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Did he work for the Mudhens this year? I like whoever the guy who does the TV broadcast. Having the MiLB TV feed I like his voice.

From the article:

He was still an active member of the Mud Hens family at the time of his death, calling games as recently as Thursday. The organization sent thoughts and prayers to his family members in social media post Friday.”

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Did he work for the Mudhens this year? I like whoever the guy who does the TV broadcast. Having the MiLB TV feed I like his voice.

Yeah - I liked Weber. I guess working till the day you drop dead isn't the worst thing if you like your work and can still do it.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't question Tork's dedication. I don't think he has the reflexes to be a major leaguer for long or at all.  Not sure bio-physically what we are looking at.  Maybe he lacks the needed fast-twitch muscle fibers.  I have no idea.  But I think the slow reactions make it look like he lacks enthusiasm.  He's trying.   I do like his homers. They make the park seem small, just like Fielder Sr. did.   Maybe we should try him at third.  (ha-just kidding)  We do need his projected type in the line-up.  Hope he can get there.

27 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Why are you so convinced that his efforts are half-assed?

Unwillingness to make adjustments to what MLB pitchers are trying to do to him. I already called this a form of laziness.

But also this (not half-assed, but maybe a physical inability due to lack of quick-twitchedness...?):

1 hour ago, Arlington said:

... I don't think he has the reflexes to be a major leaguer for long or at all.  Not sure bio-physically what we are looking at.  Maybe he lacks the needed fast-twitch muscle fibers.  I have no idea.  But I think the slow reactions make it look like he lacks enthusiasm...

Maybe this... I don't know.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

i haven't seen that; i wonder if the stat is "fastballs" or like, 95+.  a toledo fastball ain't the same as a big league fastball, the duece's efforts notwithstanding

so tonight he is 2/2 + a sac fly:  singe and double. Pulled the double to left at 109 EV off a 94mph FB. Sac fly pulled to left at 99 EV against 95 mph FB. Single up the middle at 102 EV against a 92 mph FB.  So it's not like the ability isn't there - it's a matter of developing consistency and keeping the aggressive approach where he's hunting FBs.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so tonight he is 2/2 + a sac fly:  singe and double. Pulled the double to left at 109 EV off a 94mph FB. Sac fly pulled to left at 99 EV against 95 mph FB. Single up the middle at 102 EV against a 92 mph FB.  So it's not like the ability isn't there - it's a matter of developing consistency and keeping the aggressive approach where he's hunting FBs.

Or maybe he DID do a "tweak" or "adjustment" in which he's getting his bat into the zone quicker...

Whether that's shortening his time to load or his batting stroke to get into the zone faster...

That IS a positive...

In a couple of different ways...

Need to see MORE.

16 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Unwillingness to make adjustments to what MLB pitchers are trying to do to him. I already called this a form of laziness.

But also this (not half-assed, but maybe a physical inability due to lack of quick-twitchedness...?):

Maybe this... I don't know.

Or maybe you both are just throwing out wild ass, baseless assumptions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1