Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

21 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Did he work for the Mudhens this year? I like whoever the guy who does the TV broadcast. Having the MiLB TV feed I like his voice.

Yes, he did.  I haven’t caught much this season, but whenever I watched, Weber was on the call.

I assume Matt Melzak picks up full time play by play to finish this season and they look to fill the role in the off-season.  Melzak has been the play by play for the Walleye, going back to when they were previously the Storm, and has also done quite a bit of work with the Mud Hens.  Hockey season picks up well after baseball, and both teams are owned and operated by the same group, so my worthless outside guess is that would be the arrangement for now.

I didn’t realize Weber was a native Toledoan.  Melzak is as well.  So, that’s kind of an interesting footnote to the lineage of Toledo sports broadcasting.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, he did.  I haven’t caught much this season, but whenever I watched, Weber was on the call.

I assume Matt Melzak picks up full time play by play to finish this season and they look to fill the role in the off-season.  Melzak has been the play by play for the Walleye, going back to when they were previously the Storm, and has also done quite a bit of work with the Mud Hens.  Hockey season picks up well after baseball, and both teams are owned and operated by the same group, so my worthless outside guess is that would be the arrangement for now.

I didn’t realize Weber was a native Toledoan.  Melzak is as well.  So, that’s kind of an interesting footnote to the lineage of Toledo sports broadcasting.

That’s awesome I saw he has been the PBP guy since 1975 and never missed a single game. He lived his best life.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

If Tork is going to start bopping again..bring him back up...and bring up Jung at 3rd.  Unless you like watching Gio Urshela and his 65 OPS+

If the Tigers are satisfied with Torkelson’s efforts, I’m for his recall.  If the Tigers are satisfied with Jung’s efforts, let’s see what’s up.  This season is done and it’s time to figure things out for next season.

25 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

If Tork is going to start bopping again..bring him back up...and bring up Jung at 3rd.  Unless you like watching Gio Urshela and his 65 OPS+

so something I did notice looking at Tork's numbers (because I think someone here mentioned it!) is that his K rate is up significantly at Toledo. Now nobody goes down a league and strikes out more unless they are making a conscious effort to swing at more pitches, so to me that is evidence that Tork *is* working on stuff. I hope, that based how tiny his major league heat map was, they told him he had to learn to cover more of the zone and if he is K'ing more, that would be what you expect to see as he tries to learn to do that. Anyway, that's what I hope we are seeing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

That’s awesome I saw he has been the PBP guy since 1975 and never missed a single game. He lived his best life.

He was 78 and still had the zest to call the game.  He mentioned stories about other duties he had like traveling secretary and stuff like that.  He’d pop up from his Florida winter home once in a while to “broadcast” a hockey game with Melzak.  But, yeah, to call your home town baseball team for nearly 50 years on radio and eventually television.  That’s not a bad gig.

Melzak started young.  He had quite the admiration for the long Fort Wayne hockey announcer ….. ugh, the name escapes me, but you’ll know it.  I kind of suspect Melzak has a long career with the Toledo minor league teams.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

He was 78 and still had the zest to call the game.  He mentioned stories about other duties he had like traveling secretary and stuff like that.  He’d pop up from his Florida winter home once in a while to “broadcast” a hockey game with Melzak.  But, yeah, to call your home town baseball team for nearly 50 years on radio and eventually television.  That’s not a bad gig.

Melzak started young.  He had quite the admiration for the long Fort Wayne hockey announcer ….. ugh, the name escapes me, but you’ll know it.  I kind of suspect Melzak has a long career with the Toledo minor league teams.

Bob Chase he was a legend here as well.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

He had a great sports announcer's voice, similar to Curt Gowdy. I liked him.

Good to stay hopeful, but that list is out of 600+ prospects traded. And it depends on how one defines "impact player." I'm usually more able to see potential and stay positive. Having a bit of fan fatigue right now and that's clouding my optimism. 

49 minutes ago, papalawrence said:

Good to stay hopeful, but that list is out of 600+ prospects traded. And it depends on how one defines "impact player." I'm usually more able to see potential and stay positive. Having a bit of fan fatigue right now and that's clouding my optimism. 

It’s true prospects often don’t work out, but what people fail to mention is proven, veteran ball players that you acquire often don’t work out either. Baseball is a cruel mistress. Which underlines the fact that sustained success likely comes from a deep pipeline that can overcome the inevitable failures.