Clark 0/4 BB 4K SB
Anderson 0/5 RBI K
McGonigle 2/3 BB K SB
Liranzo 1/5 RBI 2K
Gold 0/5 2K
Marcano 5IP 2ER 3K 

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

kind of a high bar, dont you think?

And to think that for a couple of years, Kaline was playing next to Colavito, who also had a cannon.

I think the way hitters strength train today just makes it impossible for as many guys to maintain the elasticity you need to throw like the old timers did, and hitting the ball hard is the name of the game so that's the way it is. 

I saw Jackie Bradley Jr. in BP stand near the on deck circle and throw it over the centerfield wall at Fenway. Just an absolute cannon so there are still guys today with howitzers but I agree that it atleast seems like there aren't as many as there used to be. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I once saw Jackie Bradley Jr. in BP stand near the batters box and throw it over the centerfield wall at Fenway. Just an absolute cannon so there are still guys today with howitzers but I agree that it atleast seems like there aren't as many as there used to be. 

and you see more guys who start out throwing well, but don't maintain it as deep into their career the way a Kaline did. I will say that I think there is a just a little bit of trend back. Training science is good enough today that it doesn't have to be as much a binary choice as it was and we I think we are seeing more guys that throw well than maybe 10 yrs ago. Tigers haven't had one recently though. 😢

Edited by gehringer_2

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And to think that for a couple of years, Kaline was playing next to Colavito, who also had a cannon.

I think the way hitters strength train today just makes it impossible for as many guys to maintain the elasticity you need to throw like the old timers did, and hitting the ball hard is the name of the game so that's the way it is. 

I have noticed that fans who grew up during the 60s are always talking about outfield arms.  Is that something that was stressed more during that time than it is today?    

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I have noticed that fans who grew up during the 60s are always talking about outfield arms.  Is that something that was stressed more during that time than it is today?    

It's a bonus kind of thing isn't it? Not going to decide as many games as the bat and when the steroid era hit and everyone was pumping up that just wasn't good for the ability to throw and there was a period where there was real dearth of guys with good arms. I think it has come back some, hard to know how much just because you have a lot more players today. You might be able to pull as many good arms out of today's league as you had in 1960, but they would still play a much smaller percentage of the total innings played so they make less difference.

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's a bonus kind of thing isn't it? Not going to decide as many games as the bat and when the steroid era hit and everyone was pumping up that just wasn't good for the ability to throw and there was a period where there was real dearth of guys with good arms. I think it has come back some, hard to know how much just because you have a lot more players today. You might be able to pull as many good arms out of today's league as you had in 1960, but they would still play a much smaller percentage of the total innings played so they make less difference.

I think throwing arms are important, although not as important as range.  I was curious because fans don't usually talk as much about outfielder arms today.  When fans talk about players from the 60s, throwing arm seem to be the thing they talk about first.  I don't know whether that was talked about more back then or whether it's just something that is more unforgettable when looking back.  

Of course, defense in general was more important in past eras when there more balls in play.  There was probably more variation between good and bad fielders back then too.  Because there is so much hitting today, teams could afford to carry one or two defense only players.  There were also no DH's then so there might have been more terrible defenders.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

defense in general was more important in past eras when there more balls in play.  There was probably more variation between good and bad fielders back then too. 

Good point. There may be fewer Al Kalines but you also see fewer Greg Luzinskis

3 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Guessing anyone here age 55+ will remember this throw by Dave Parker

Ah, the good old days when all star players wore their individual team’s pajamas for the game instead of the horse**** league jerseys.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

No Bryce Rainer?

I don't really know how they rank guys that haven't played pro ball yet.  It seems like guess work.  I was suprised to see Briceno ranked as high as he was, although his performance certains warrants attention.  

Edited by Tiger337

Kiley McDaniel puts the farm at #6 overall after the draft and trade deadline.

6. Detroit Tigers -- $272 million

Current top prospect: Jackson Jobe, RHP

Preseason ranking: 3rd, $318 million

What has happened since: The Tigers have fallen a bit due to graduations from Colt Keith and Parker Meadows, but they have the talent to jump back into the top three in short order. They added Bryce Rainer in the draft, who goes straight into the middle of the Top 100 and could be a top-10 overall prospect at some point. My pick to click in the 2023 draft, Kevin McGonigle, has done just that, hitting his way to High-A as a teenager with more walks than strikeouts while showing the potential to shoot up the Top 100 when he's in the upper levels. It goes without saying that Max Clark could also be a top-10 prospect in the game in the near future. Adding Thayron Liranzo and Trey Sweeney in the Jack Flaherty deal and Ethan Schiefelbein in the second round of the draft give them another set of players I expect will move up my list in the coming year.

• Like 1