Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Beck report on Torkelson today. First I've in black and white that Tork is retooling:

“My feel, my thought four years ago, that doesn’t work for me anymore,” Torkelson said. “So it’s just constantly evolving that approach. Thoughts that I had just last year weren’t really getting the results that I wanted. So it was just experimenting, seeing what works, seeing what doesn’t work and really trying to redefine and get back to myself. 

“I think it was a little easier to come down here and actually experiment with things. You don’t go up to a big league at-bat working on something. I refuse to do that. But I feel like I can do that sometimes down here.” 

https://links.mlb.mlbemail.com/e/evib?_t=c632e003a756446c956a8e0347d00d08&_m=099969ed726d4b17849d932395292b70&_e=efARCvhx9gSLurF-J3zaXB2OcbwNK5oDKveqRw9gFHAFBj95sapqWgO5Y1hLLwxNFZKTs4AD6gS68LlMgEbx1Q%3D%3D

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I can understand reluctance to tinker in the big leagues.  Unfortunately it is a necessity at some points.  On the other hand, there's a tipping point between tinkering and overhauling where it is best done in the minors.

I go back to his debut season and still shake my head about hitting him 7th or 8th in the lineup.  It wasn't a deep lineup at all.  If he was really ready offensively, why was he in the bottom 3rd of the order?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, casimir said:

I can understand reluctance to tinker in the big leagues.  Unfortunately it is a necessity at some points.  On the other hand, there's a tipping point between tinkering and overhauling where it is best done in the minors.

I go back to his debut season and still shake my head about hitting him 7th or 8th in the lineup.  It wasn't a deep lineup at all.  If he was really ready offensively, why was he in the bottom 3rd of the order?

He had a rough night last night 0/5 4K. One AB really encapsulated it. Spit on a 1st pitch middle-middle hanging slider for strike one, then K'd on two perfect pitches on the corners. I don't know what he may be working on mechanics wise, but approach wise the struggle to pull the trigger when the needs to continues. 

Edited by gehringer_2

Toledo L 6-4
Tork 0/5 4K
Jung 1/4 BB K
Sweeney 0/5 2K
Leonard 0/3 BB 2K
Navigato 2/4 2RBI K HR
Madden 5.2IP 12H 5ER 11K
Vanesco 1.1IP BB 2K

Erie L 5-4
Lee 0/4
Workman 2/4 2K
Jobe 5.1IP 5H 3ER 3BB 3K

WM W 7-0
Clark 1/5 2RBI K 2B
Anderson 0/3 BB K
McGonigle 0/3 BB
Liranzo 1/4 RBI K 2B
Campos 1/3 2RBI 2K HR
Montalvo 3IP 2H 2K

Lakeland L 9-1
Pacheco 0/4 3K
Santana 0/2 BB 2K

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

do folks still have hope for Madden?

As a middle reliever... sure.

He actually did OK the first 5 innings yesterday with 6 base runners and 2 ER's...

Then gave up 6 base runners in the 6th...

So is he really good the 1st time through an order and then falls apart the 2nd time through...? That would put him in the Faedo/ Brieske range... which still has its MLB usefulness....

I could see Madden turning into an Alex Faedo type but that may be his ceiling which is a bit disappointing.

When they drafted him I thought if he didnt make it as a starter he would atleast be a shutdown back of the bullpen guy but as of now that doesnt look like it's in the cards.

Edited by RandyMarsh

5 hours ago, casimir said:

He wasn’t ready and promoting him was just Avila trying to get the fan base to focus on something else besides how awful of a job he was doing.

I don't know which of these rankings are legit, but it seems that the Tigers have more top prospects than they have had since probably the 70s.  They won't all be hits, but the great thing is when you have so many top prospects they don't all have to be hits to improve the Tigers substantially.  

• Like 1