Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know which of these rankings are legit, but it seems that the Tigers have more top prospects than they have had since probably the 70s.  They won't all be hits, but the great thing is when you have so many top prospects they don't all have to be hits to improve the Tigers substantially.  

Yep, also the benefit of having more is that if you do ever get to the point where you want to be a buyer you have plenty of ammunition and don't have to worry about emptying out the cabinet if you do have to trade a couple premium guys.

But to your point I've seen Clark, Jobe, McGonigle, Jung, Ranier, Hamm, Briceno and Liranzo on atleast 1 of the national lists with "the big 3" all being in the upper half in just about all of them.

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep, also the benefit of having more is that if you do ever get to the point where you want to be a buyer you have plenty of ammunition and don't have to worry about emptying out the cabinet if you do have to trade a couple premium guys.

But to your point I've seen Clark, Jobe, McGonigle, Jung, Ranier, Hamm, Briceno and Liranzo on atleast 1 of the national lists with "the big 3" all being in the upper half in just about all of them.

And then you have a guy like Lee, who is posting strong results at an age younger than most of the league. He may not have great tools, but, for now, he is performing well above average. If nothing else he's he a guy you could include in a trade to upgrade your current MLB roster. 

QUESTION: Is Lakeland an interesting team to follow right now? Yes or No?

To Whit (Currently on the Roster):

Jose De La Cruz (Big $$$ International signing in 2018 for $1.85 mill) - 22 y.o. OF'er in Low-A (3rd straight year) w/ a .234 BA and a .704 OPS in the minors. Not very interesting. Unless he turns into a late-bloomer but, so far, nothing yet to be excited about...

Cristian Santana (Big $$$ International signing in 2021 for $2.95 mill) - 20 y.o. SS/3B in Low-A (3rd straight year) w/ a .195 BA and a .750 OPS in the minors. TURRIBLE!!! Unless he turns into a late-bloomer, so far though, not enough (hit tool) yet to be encouraged about (draws a huge amount of walks so .380 OBP (drew 3 BB's in 4 PA's today) and has shown power with 37 HR's and 40 doubles in 1175 PA's...? But... where's the hit tool? Can't make it at higher levels with this low of a hit tool...).

Franyerber Montilla (Big $$$ International signing in 2022 for $500K) - 19 y.o. SS in Low-A (just started) w/ a .273 BA and a .857 OPS in the FCL. Too early to be on anyone's radar IMO, but... an interesting guy to keep an eye on?

Nomar Fana (International signing in 2019 for (bargain price...?)) - 19 y.o. in Low-A (just started) w/ a .291 BA and a .943 OPS in the FCL. Too early to be on anyone's radar IMO, but... an interesting guy to keep an eye on?

Clayton Campbell - He's from New Zealand so that's interesting... but otherwise, 20 y.o. 1B'man in Low-A w/ a .205 BA and a .667 OPS in the minors. Not enough to be interested in unless ya wanna follow a Kiwi to see how he fares...

CJ Weins is interesting in that he's the big arm guy from the Red Sox we got for Kelly. Big arm, but not a lot of control... but with our pitching developmental staff maybe they can turn him into something... that would be interesting...! So far in the Detroit Org: 23 y.o. 6'3" 225 # RH'er, 9 1/3 Inn's, 5 Hits, 6 BB's (4 in one outing & 2 in another, o/w 4 "clean" outings with no BB's at all...), 1 run and 18 K's. Hmmm... THAT's interesting!!! (At least a little...)

Zack Lee was an undrafted FA in 2023 (basically like a 21st draft pick since the draft now ends at 20 rounds): 23 y.o 6'4" 200# RH'er this year in Low-A: 3.08 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 9.7 K's/9, 1.9 BB's/9... At least interesting enough to keep an eye on...?

Edited by 1984Echoes

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

QUESTION: Is Lakeland an interesting team to follow right now? Yes or No?

yes, but not as interesting as they were in April.

I was hoping to see a few more pitchers get promoted from FCL but will watch to see how Fana, Montilla, and a couple of pitchers perform.   I was hoping for Wilson and the the other pitcher they got, can't recall his name, who was a former teammate with Clark and McGonigle, get promoted.

Edited by SkyBlue

21 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know which of these rankings are legit, but it seems that the Tigers have more top prospects than they have had since probably the 70s.  They won't all be hits, but the great thing is when you have so many top prospects they don't all have to be hits to improve the Tigers substantially.  

didnt they just recently have a top 5 system headed by casey mize and spencer torkelson?

the tigers farm system has been rated pretty decently for a while, iirc.  but that's based more on draft position than anything else, imo.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

didnt they just recently have a top 5 system headed by casey mize and spencer torkelson?

the tigers farm system has been rated pretty decently for a while, iirc.  but that's based more on draft position than anything else, imo.

I don't know.  Did they ever ever have five in the top 100 at the same time?  I know it doesn't really matter since it's subjective and since some top propects disappear from the list when the get time in the Majors.   

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know.  Did they ever ever have five in the top 100 at the same time?  I know it doesn't really matter since it's subjective and since some top propects disappear from the list when the get time in the Majors.   

Preseason 2021

Tork

Skubal

Mize

Manning

Greene

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Preseason 2021

Tork

Skubal

Mize

Manning

Greene

IIRC at one point all were within the top 30 on some lists with Tork, Mize and Greene all being in the top 10 on atleast 1 of them. Still though I don't think they had the depth that the system seems to have now in regards to the national lists recognition, as I mentioned above I've seen atleast 8 different guys make some major top 100. I don't think we've had that many different guys get that type of hype before. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

my point was more that those lists seem mostly like shots in the dark.  a lot of the guys at the top are there - at least initially - because of draft position.

like you said, it doesnt really matter.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

my point was more that those lists seem mostly like shots in the dark.  a lot of the guys at the top are there - at least initially - because of draft position.

I agree with that.  It's all very subjective and influenced by draft position.  At least most of the Tigers on the current list are actually performing well.  The only exception is Rainer who hasn't even played yet. 

14 hours ago, buddha said:

They are shots in the dark, but some are more educated than others. Some have scouting contacts. Some see them in person, and more importantly, know what they are looking for. Some are fed pitch/swing tracking data. BA, for example, has a lot of good information, but put an influencer in charge of their Tigers coverage, so their Tigers rankings can be taken with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

How would you grade his defense? Must have a bit of a noodle arm. Has allowed 83 SB but only 16 CS.

Let me start by saying I'm no scout so just based on the handful of games I've seen he is rough out there defensively. More passed balls than I would like to see and I would say his arm is average so he's not Dingler out there but also not not playable. From my very amateur eyes it looks like it's possibly a transfer issue, getting the ball from his mitt to his throwing hand. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Let me start by saying I'm no scout so just based on the handful of games I've seen he is rough out there defensively. More passed balls than I would like to see and I would say his arm is average so he's not Dingler out there but also not not playable. From my very amateur eyes it looks like it's possibly a transfer issue, getting the ball from his mitt to his throwing hand. 

Let me note that he’s just 21, was a 3rd  baseman as an amateur, so he’s relatively new to catching. His arm is above average and he’s fairly athletic for a catcher. Give him time.