Marcano 6IP 3H ER 9K

Lakeland W 3-1
Montilla 1/3 SB
Santana 1/3 RBI K
Castillo 5IP 4H ER 2BB 2K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

Everyone wears the shin and elbow guards but very few guys wear the hand guards.

was he hit? seems like it was from swinging, a lot of stress on those bird bones in your hands 

Edited by Toddwert

24 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I just assumed. I didn't know you can break a bone from swinging. No pun intended.

I wouldn't like him breaking that bone just swinging. Some type of impact injury would explain it better. Diving for a ball, sliding or hit by pitch. Just swinging a bat? I never heard of that. And it wouldn't be great for the future..

• Like 1

Sounds like it happened on a foul ball.

"The Tigers moved McGonigle to the injured list with a right hamate fracture on Aug. 12. He was replaced on defense in Saturday's High-A West Michigan game after striking out in the first inning. McGonigle fouled off a 1-2 pitch in the at-bat, then asked for time and was seen clutching and shaking his right hand before looking uncomfortable swinging at strike three."

Tigers injuries and roster moves (mlb.com)

14 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Sounds like it happened on a foul ball.

"The Tigers moved McGonigle to the injured list with a right hamate fracture on Aug. 12. He was replaced on defense in Saturday's High-A West Michigan game after striking out in the first inning. McGonigle fouled off a 1-2 pitch in the at-bat, then asked for time and was seen clutching and shaking his right hand before looking uncomfortable swinging at strike three."

Tigers injuries and roster moves (mlb.com)

Baseball for most all teams is becoming a game/war of attrition. You need a lot of depth. For example anyone 'penciling' in Greene, Carpenter and Meadows next year as your starting OF (or any starting INF, starting staff, etc.) is fooling themselves. Look at the OF at one point over the weekend: Baddoo, Madris and Vilade.

The days of penciling in 8 starting position players for 140+ games and 5 SPs for 150-200 IP are long gone. If a team is 'lucky' they may get 3-4 positional players to do that and 1-2 SPs. So much has changed since we could rattle off the starting lineups for the good teams for so many years.

I do like that the team is acquiring talented young INFs. Keith, Jung, Lee, McGonigle, Sweeney, Rainer, etc. To be able to move around a bit may help and they are not real distant in age so some overlapping may indeed help us. SHarris and crew seem to perhaps understand that the game is now this way - that would be very wise
🦉 😉

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No sound...but it looks good. Is this kid a shortstop?

he's been a high K guy with a so-so glove so far. I guess no-one is going to worry too much about the glove until he proves he can hit enough to make to the majors - which he does seem to be working at!

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

he's been a high K guy with a so-so glove so far. I guess no-one is going to worry too much about the glove until he proves he can hit enough to make to the majors - which he does seem to be working at!

People focus too much on stats with developing players. Here’s a guy with some natural bat to ball skills, but some flaws in his swing that were inhibiting his progress. In a year and a half, the yankees reworked his mechanics and then LA took a different approach. You can’t just incorporate these types of changes overnight, it takes time to build muscle memory. You always have to take a step back before you can go forward. If he corrects his flaws and stays with it consistently, you may have something.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Longgone said:

People focus too much on stats with developing players. Here’s a guy with some natural bat to ball skills, but some flaws in his swing that were inhibiting his progress. In a year and a half, the yankees reworked his mechanics and then LA took a different approach. You can’t just incorporate these types of changes overnight, it takes time to build muscle memory. You always have to take a step back before you can go forward. If he corrects his flaws and stays with it consistently, you may have something.  

I think I made the observation before that if you are scouting a guy and everything he does already looks right technically but he still gets no results, maybe you'll have more luck with a guy like Sweeney where ( assuming your assessment) you can identify some stuff to work on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll never forget listening to the broadcast when Frank Beckmann announced that Raul Casanova broke his hamate bone.  Lary Sorenson (who was probably drunk) started laughing about how he never heard of a hamate bone.  Beckmann scolded him on the air telling him that it wasn't funny.  It was a serious injury that would keep him out for a long time.  I had never heard a broadcaster getting scloded like that.  I knew that there had to be something going on beyond that incident.  

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I'll never forget listening to the broadcast when Frank Beckmann announced that Raul Casanova broke his hamate bone.  Lary Sorenson (who was probably drunk) started laughing about how he never heard of a hamate bone.  Beckmann scolded him on the air telling him that it wasn't funny.  It was a serious injury that would keep him out for a long time.  I had never heard a broadcaster getting scloded like that.  I knew that there had to be something going on beyond that incident.  

I had to look it up, I had no idea what it is. Is a hitter breaking that bone just by swing or fouling off a pitch a reason to worry? I could see breaking it getting hit or fouling a pitch off of it but just swinging the bat? Maybe he hurt it sliding or playing defense the day before or something? It seems a bit concerning...

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think I made the observation before that if you are scouting a guy and everything he does already looks right technically but he still gets no results, maybe you'll have more luck with a guy like Sweeney where ( assuming your assessment) you can identify some stuff to work on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Harris seemed pretty adamant that the Tigers were very pleased with the two players they received for Flaherty. Probably nothing but perhaps the Tigers saw something with Sweeney the Dodgers and Yankees missed. 

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Had to kill Beckman to work with a guy like that...

13 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Harris seemed pretty adamant that the Tigers were very pleased with the two players they received for Flaherty. Probably nothing but perhaps the Tigers saw something with Sweeney the Dodgers and Yankees missed. 

his problem remains in that he hits a massive amount of groundballs

NYY and LAD left him at SS when everyone assumed he would to 3B; obviously he is going to get a long look at SS considering the state of the position in Det

hopefully, at worst, they have an upgrade on McKinstry. at best, a bridge starter to some teenager

33 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

his problem remains in that he hits a massive amount of groundballs

NYY and LAD left him at SS when everyone assumed he would to 3B; obviously he is going to get a long look at SS considering the state of the position in Det

hopefully, at worst, they have an upgrade on McKinstry. at best, a bridge starter to some teenager

I love Javy's defense. And his baserunning, when he gets on base. But he's basically the worst hitter in MLB. Sacrifice defense for offense? I don't know...

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I love Javy's defense. And his baserunning, when he gets on base. But he's basically the worst hitter in MLB. Sacrifice defense for offense? I don't know...

His defense is no longer good enough to carry him for defense only.