Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK. They seem to be in love with Sweeney currently even though he booted his third ball in as many games yesterday and his OPS is <550. I'm OK with giving him a shot but so far he looks the part better than he's acting it.

I wouldn’t look at errors with a young player; look at his range, how quickly and smoothly he gets in position to receive the ball and make all the throws. Look at his overall athletic ability; speed, agility, explosiveness, arm strength. From that point of view, he’s looked pretty darn good.

Just now, Longgone said:

I wouldn’t look at errors with a young player; look at his range, how quickly and smoothly he gets in position to receive the ball and make all the throws. Look at his overall athletic ability; speed, agility, explosiveness, arm strength. From that point of view, he’s looked pretty darn good.

I won't argue he does *look* like a SS. TBF - two of the bad plays were him just trying to do too much, he needs to heed the same advice they gave Keith - get you feet on the ground getting the routine plays down before you start testing your limits,

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why isn't Andrew Navigato talked about more?     

He was a 20th round pick out of college.  The initial transition to pro ball in 2019 wasn’t smooth.  Then COVID.  But since then, he has maintained or improved his batting line with each promotion in the minors.  He’s 26 now.  Maybe he’s a later bloomer like Andy Ibanez but with SS on his tool belt?  Just guessing, I have no clue aside from looking at numbers.

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK. They seem to be in love with Sweeney currently even though he booted his third ball in as many games yesterday and his OPS is <550. I'm OK with giving him a shot but so far he looks the part better than he's acting it.

I don’t think Harris and Hinch and the front office and the coaches fall in or out of love with any player. I don’t think it’s emotional at all. I think they have a plan and a process and are following through with it, making adjustments as necessary as conditions on the ground warrant. Getting emotional and falling in and out of love with players is what fans do.

Edited by chasfh
  • Thanks 1

As for Navigato himself, perhaps there are holes in his game that he’s either working feverishly on, or that he can’t fix but they need still need some shortstop any shortstop to log innings at the Triple-A level. If he didn’t have holes in his game, he’d be up here right now, and if he had fewer holes in his game than Navigato, then it would be Sweeney in Toledo we’d be whining about not getting a chance in Detroit.

Maybe we bring Navigato up if/when Trey Sweeney get hurts. As a 26-year-old 20th-rounder who has never been to the majors, they don’t have to be concerned about Navigato’s service time, nor do they have to baby his development in preparation for a major league career. If they have an emergency need for a shortstop in Detroit, they’ll probably just throw him in there; if they never do, they’ll let him play out the string in the bushes, or offer him as a throw-in to complete some deal. Not sure who would want an overripe minor-league lifer, though.

FWIW, I also believe the Tigers might be thinking of Sweeney the same way. He’s not the future of the position for the Tigers, either. I believe some combination of McGonigle and Rainer probably is. Sweeney is simply the best of several suboptimal options in the present.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

perhaps there are holes in his game that he’s either working feverishly on, o

Right. As MiLB fans at a distance, we have less sense of what's behind a MiLB hitter's numbers. Unless you are investing the time to review all his ABs in gameday or are watching MiLB games, you'll miss that there may be things that are quite obvious to the staff - for instance an MiLB player can keep up a pretty impressive OPS, esp if he has some power yet is unable to handle  either top velo or good spin at all, while another MiLB player may have a 100 pt lower OPS but have much better contact skill against the kinds of pitching he'd see on promotion and is thus a better candidate to make the majors. Christin Stewart sort of the classic example.

Edited by gehringer_2

Ironically, if you look at Sweeney's early scouting reports, they were that he was a 'bat first' guy who it was assumed could not stay at short. At this point that has turned around. His range, hands and arm have proven out to be at least average at SS but as he has moved up the weaknesses in his bat have come to the fore: can he get the ball off the ground enough, cover enough of the zone, and can he hit LHP enough to ever play everyday?

Edited by gehringer_2

Tigers with 7 top 100 prospects on BA list: Jobe, Clark, McGonigle, Jung, Liranzo, Rainier, and Hamm. Five of these are Harris guys. Add in Lee and that's 6 really talented guys Harris has added to the system in fewer than two years. If Briceno had been healthy he may have edged onto the BA list. Encouraging. 

Edited by SeattleMike
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Tigers with 7 top 100 prospects on BA list: Jobe, Clark, McGonigle, Jung, Liranzo, Rainier, and Hamm. Five of these are Harris guys. Add in Lee and that's 6 really talented guys Harris has added to the system in fewer than two years. If Briceno had been healthy he may have edged onto the BA list. Encouraging. 

Montalvo is up there with Hamm too. 

7 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

i feel like the system is much deeper and better off than it has been in a long time.

keep singing lorenzen's and flaherty's to one year prove it deals and then trade them for prospects.  that's how you build a system.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

i feel like the system is much deeper and better off than it has been in a long time.

keep singing lorenzen's and flaherty's to one year prove it deals and then trade them for prospects.  that's how you build a system.

That's OK, but I pefer they get into the playoffs next year.  Time to go for it.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That's OK, but I pefer they get into the playoffs next year.  Time to go for it.  

ok.

DD's genius was identifying major league talent and dealing marginal minor league talent to get it.  if harria can do that, they should be good to go next year.

unfortunately there is still a ton of avila-detritus still around.  it will take a while to get rid of that before they can become a great team again.

that said, i still think they have a shot this year to make it, and that's with only one starting pitcher worth a darn.  its been a masterful aj hinch performance this year.

53 minutes ago, buddha said:

DD's genius was identifying major league talent and dealing marginal minor league talent to get it.

Well, 76 WAR from Knebel, Adames, Granderson (after the trade) and Suarez say "Hi"

Cabrera was a steal, but mostly because the Marlins weren't going to pay him. Letting Granderson go would still have been a brilliant trade if they hadn't been fool enough to lose Scherzer and Jackson hadn't gotten old fast.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Are they building a playoff team, or a championship team?

Building for a playpoff team is the same thing as building for a championshio team.  

A good organization can build and try to win at the same time.  They can't just look to the future forever.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 4

Erie L 4-2
Workman 1/3 BB 2K SB
P. Lee 0/3 RBI BB 2K

WM W 5-4
Clark 3/5 K
Anderson 1/5 RBI
Liranzo 0/4 BB
Campos 1/4 BB K

Lakeland W 5-2 6 Innings
Fana 0/3 2K