Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 9/2/2024 at 10:36 AM, SoCalTiger said:

Sweeny looks good to "my untrained eye" turning the double play and might have little pop. Haven't seen much else and certainly not blown away. 

Should we all forget about dreaming for an Adames signing ? Feels like it. 

Would you like to commit six-plus years to Willy Adames?

25 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Bowden's top 50 MLB prospects on the Athletic..

1. Jobe

2. Clark

28 Rainer

38 McGonigle

He tabs Jobe as the only pitching prospect who projects as a future Cy Young.  He gushes over Clark

I wish it wasn't Bowden.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bowden is terrible, but those two are pretty much universally regarded as bluechip prospects. 

Jobe appears to be kind of brittle, but everyone seems to agree that he has elite stuff when healthy.

Clark appears to have superstar charisma and confidence like a George Brett.  If he's for real, he'll be a lot of fun to follow 

It would be great if Clark does well, I'll be happy, but he strikes me as a guy from a travel team who worried too much about all if his "gear".  His sliding glove, his glasses, his sweat band, etc.  Sure when you can back it up, it's flashy.  But it's kind of annoying. Just play.  

I got to "meet" him last year the day he signed and they brought him into town.  I had to get some tickets from my rep and I was waiting in the Tigers lobby for him to come down.  Then Max and his family came in.  Felt weird because his parents looked my age and the math works out, I see all the young players now with birth years of 2000-2002.   I just said "hi".  Didn't want to intrude or whatever.  They were waiting for someone to come down too.  Everyone who enters Comerica Park goes through the metal detector, players and media too.  

4 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Bowden's top 50 MLB prospects on the Athletic..

1. Jobe

2. Clark

28 Rainer

38 McGonigle

He tabs Jobe as the only pitching prospect who projects as a future Cy Young.  He gushes over Clark

I guess scouts have seen Rainer play in the Complex league or whatever they call it, because showing up on these prospect lists (and at 28?) doesn't make much sense otherwise, especially for a kid right out of HS. 

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not six years but I would risk big for four. Say 4/140 Yes. Baez is sunk cost and not too good. Monogle is most likely a second baseman. Rainer is most likely a third baseman. Adams can play short now, hit well and lead the clubhouse. That's my calculated risk.

Take a dark hole and fill it with sunshine and we have a new Day as Central Favorites. We have the money. 

Yes I know it will not happen but Adamses plus a closer and two starting pitchers were there. Payroll will be at 200 million which is doable. Why wait ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

If they ever want to sign a top free agent under 30, they would have to commit at least that long.  I don't know what kind of payroll they are planning long term.  

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Bowden is terrible, but those two are pretty much universally regarded as bluechip prospects. 

Jobe appears to be kind of brittle, but everyone seems to agree that he has elite stuff when healthy.

Clark appears to have superstar charisma and confidence like a George Brett.  If he's for real, he'll be a lot of fun to follow 

I suppose I'd take George Brett.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Topliner1903 said:

Jobe has thrown 90 pitches in this game, so that previous start where he left in the second inning must have been because of too many pitches in one inning, not an overall pitch count. 7 innings, 1 earned run tonight. Two walks, 8 strikeouts. 

And the one earned run was the result of back to back popups that should have easily been caught being missed by Workman.

On 9/5/2024 at 2:34 PM, Tiger337 said:

It feels weird when I teach students born this century and they seem like kids even though they are in graduate school.  Their parents are most likely younger than me.  

I went up to watch the first High School football game of the season at the District I work for and a guy comes up to me and tells me how I coached him in football when he was a kid. I quickly remembered after him giving me his name so I asked him what he was doing up here thinking that maybe he was a student or something and he says he was watching his son play. Completely threw me off guard cause I'm "only" 41 and my child is only in 1st grade but given I was in my early 20s when I coached him and he had his child young it ended up checking out. Still was wild to me. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I went up to watch the first High School football game of the season at the District I work for and a guy comes up to me and tells me how I coached him in football when he was a kid. I quickly remembered after him giving me his name so I asked him what he was doing up here thinking that maybe he was a student or something and he says he was watching his son play. Completely threw me off guard cause I'm "only" 41 and my child is only in 1st grade but given I was in my early 20s when I coached him and he had his child young it ended up checking out. Still was wild to me. 

Sometimes it seems like we live in multiple eras at the same time.

My great Aunt Bertha who lived to be almost 90, told me stories about the civil war passed down from her father , one of my gret grandfathers that were first hand eye witness accounts.

Odd, but true.

22 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

Sometimes it seems like we live in multiple eras at the same time.

My great Aunt Bertha who lived to be almost 90, told me stories about the civil war passed down from her father , one of my gret grandfathers that were first hand eye witness accounts.

Odd, but true.

That is awesome. I love historical stuff. My great great great grandfather joined the army on the 2nd day of Gettysburg. He stayed in for a month. He got full military honors. He was 52 when he joined.