Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

I don't know why Lynn Henning is suggesting Riley Greene has to have a 5-week rehab at Toledo.   Now, it may take 5 weeks, sure, but if he starts hitting the ball well then, with a shortage of true outfielders even after Austin Meadows returns, why would they wait that long?   Henning suggested in a tweet that recovery wise it will take 5 weeks at Toledo.  That makes absolutely no sense.  If he's not ready, then why would he play AT ALL,  ANYWHERE?    I don't know what happened to Lynn but he kind of stopped making sense a while ago.    I started having my doubts when we interviewed him on WTKA and he said Scott Sizemore was a better defensive 2b than Placido Polanco.   Um, what?  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know why Lynn Henning is suggesting Riley Greene has to have a 5-week rehab at Toledo.   Now, it may take 5 weeks, sure, but if he starts hitting the ball well then, with a shortage of true outfielders even after Austin Meadows returns, why would they wait that long?   Henning suggested in a tweet that recovery wise it will take 5 weeks at Toledo.  That makes absolutely no sense.  If he's not ready, then why would he play AT ALL,  ANYWHERE?    I don't know what happened to Lynn but he kind of stopped making sense a while ago.    I started having my doubts when we interviewed him on WTKA and he said Scott Sizemore was a better defensive 2b than Placido Polanco.   Um, what?  

seems weird.  If Lynn still maintains his sources within the Tigerosphere I'll be a bit surprised. 

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

So it is curious or not that Franklin Perez remains in some kind of limbo? He was throwing bullpens successfully in April, throwing batting practice to Kreidler in May, but remains on the IL with no rehab assignment. Are they waiting to send him to the FLA complex league when it starts?

not to be flippant, but who cares? the possibility that he can be an org arm is incredibly low; the chance he gets to the majors is basically zero

24 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

not to be flippant, but who cares? the possibility that he can be an org arm is incredibly low; the chance he gets to the majors is basically zero

more just the human interest side - the guy could have given up a long time ago but he's still apparently trying.

55 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

As mentioned in another thread, Lynn was pushing the idea of starting Greene in Toledo while he was raking in Spring Training as well.

Not sure if he has any special insight or if he just doesn't like Greene for some reason.

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

Good bat to ball for a while now, he's improving in other areas. Tigers new development staff is looking good.

Offensively, there's really nothing wrong with his peripherals.... not a Kerry Carpenter situation where you see a massive BABIP discrepancy. 

Fielding seems to be an issue, decent range factor, but 5 errors in 22 games at 2B isn't great.

It's nice to see that there are a few guys who are improved or at least advancing this year.... Wenceel seems like the best example of that, but Parker Meadows to a lesser extent is another (although we haven't seen a lot of success at Erie so far)

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I came in here to point out Daniel Cabrera was demoted to West Michigan.

But now I also want to point out Riley Greene is not on rehab in Toledo. He's just in Toledo.

right. So there is no rehab clock running on him on the odd chance he has forgotten how to hit. Otherwise does it matter?  He's already on the 40 so he's already burning an 'option' to be in Toledo -- maybe the only difference is what they have to pay him? 

23 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Also, y'all know I'm tracking minor league lineups in a google doc, right?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jRnDAcv86yGYl1Tq6fdXD1VoGr2Ls5PiRBNEFBXHL3Y/edit#gid=443978389

Well done, that's impressive.  But you can't put down what they ate for dinner?   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

But now I also want to point out Riley Greene is not on rehab in Toledo. He's just in Toledo.

Fair point, and they'll have to make a roster move to get him up here since he's not on the 40.  Which they will at some point.

I wonder if the looming (yet often pushed back) deadline for 14 pitchers is maybe the day for him to get on the 40, should it end on the 19th.... particularly given that Barnes would be a good candidate for DFA

59 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Also, y'all know I'm tracking minor league lineups in a google doc, right?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jRnDAcv86yGYl1Tq6fdXD1VoGr2Ls5PiRBNEFBXHL3Y/edit#gid=443978389

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Fair point, and they'll have to make a roster move to get him up here since he's not on the 40.  Which they will at some point.

I wonder if the looming (yet often pushed back) deadline for 14 pitchers is maybe the day for him to get on the 40, should it end on the 19th.... particularly given that Barnes would be a good candidate for DFA

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Manning to the 60 day would seem to be the likely choice. He is coming up on 60 days anyways.

recent 2nd round picks are feast or famine; Pacheco and DIngler are big unknowns

2021    Izaac Pacheco ?
2020    Dillon Dingler ?
2020    Daniel Cabrera awful
2019    Nick Quintana awful
2018    Parker Meadows not looking good
2016    none
2017    Rey Rivera awful
2015    Tyler Alexander 
2014    Spencer Turnbull 

2013    Kevin Ziomek awful
2012    Jake Thompson awful
2011    James McCann 
2010    Drew Smyly 

13 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Folks, I’m gonna need a ruling on Wenceel.  Only 22, so he’s not old for High A, and on pace for a 20-20 season.  Legit?

His talent has always been legit.

He was the Tigers' first "big" International signing when they spent $550K in 2016 on him. He's always had speed (between last year and this year he's stolen 34 bases and been caught 3 times...) and a hit tool. He's had flashes before this year too...

But, as usual, you never know how a prospect is actually going to develop, legit or not. He seems to be filling out and starting to produce nice results with some added power. As opposed to some high profile 2nd rounders (Meadows, Rivera) flopping because their ability to hit a baseball at the higher levels is non-existent.

Can he sustain it as he rises up the ranks...?

I think we'll see on that shortly...