Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

The fact that we need Harold in our lineup every day is the biggest indictment of this season.

yep, I say this unironically but I legit have the most faith when Harold and now Victor Reyes are at the plate. Like when they show the order for the next inning and I see one of them is coming up I have atleast some faith that something positive might happen.  The fact that this is the case shows just how horrible this lineup has been. 

Lynn has a multipart series this week on the tigers decades long failures in the minors. it is brutal - but not nearly brutal enough.

he also claims that Venezuela's collapse hurt the tigers a lot, but I don't think their Ven system actually produced much more than organizational players.

also the tiger really think think that this round of international players will be different, which is exactly what they thought for the last 30 years

edit: it is just amazing how much DD's trades and Mike's $ covered up abject system failures

Edited by RatkoVarda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lynn has a multipart series this week on the tigers decades long failures in the minors. it is brutal - but not nearly brutal enough.

he also claims that Venezuela's collapse hurt the tigers a lot, but I don't think their Ven system actually produced much more than organizational players.

also the tiger really think think that this round of international players will be different, which is exactly what they thought for the last 30 years

edit: it is just amazing how much DD's trades and Mike's $ covered up abject system failures

even more amazing is that the guy in charge of that farm system was promoted.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

even more amazing is that the guy in charge of that farm system was promoted.

Did he ever have any resources to work with? I have no idea. But It is almost comic though how much Avila is the anti Dombrowski. He may been Dave's #2 but it sure looks like Dave must have shot down any suggestions to do any of things Al has done since he took over. 

Still, the failure is how slow all the moves have been. If all the scouting and MiLB resources needed revamping and new tech, why wasn't all that complete 3-4 yrs ago so we would be seeing the results now. Maybe that was Ilitch's choice (no reflection on Al), or maybe that was as fast a Avila was able to figure it out (major reflection on Al).

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Did he ever have any resources to work with? I have no idea. But It is almost comic though how much Avila is the anti Dombrowski. He may been Dave's #2 but it sure looks like Dave must have shot down any suggestions to do any of things Al has done since he took over. 

Still, the failure is how slow all the moves have been. If all the scouting and MiLB resources needed revamping and new tech, why wasn't all that complete 3-4 yrs ago so we would be seeing the results now. Maybe that was Ilitch's choice (no reflection on Al), or maybe that was as fast a Avila was able to figure it out (major reflection on Al).

i think the major difference was dombrowski's ability to turn water into wine, and Al's ability to turn wine into Jose King and Franklin Perez.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think the major difference was dombrowski's ability to turn water into wine, and Al's ability to turn wine into Jose King and Franklin Perez.

The Verlander deal was stupid, stupid to make in the first place, stupid to make the particular deal that was made.  But keeping him would have been a commitment to rebuild 'on the fly' and they would have had to have moved a lot faster than they have so far do that.

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

I'm sorry, I'm not that impressed with Dave's trading. It's easy to up your current value when you are giving away younger resources and adding payroll. It's just not that big a trick. The reason that not many other GMs get the benefit of adding that kind of instant upgrade trade to their resume  is that most owners see past them to the price to be paid later and don't like them.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Nice to see—I would imagine the adjustment to AA pitching might present some challenges.  

Feels like he's been around so long that it's easy to forget that he's only 22.... similar to Wenceel in that regard.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

Forgot to copy the link and now I can't find the tweet but anyway I saw a tweet that said Campos was hitting like a .950 OPS in June in low A. He just turned 19 the other day and this is his first full season of pro ball so that's a good sign he is already starting to pick things up. It would be nice if we could finally hit on international market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Forgot to copy the link and now I can't find the tweet but anyway I saw a tweet that said Campos was hitting like a .950 OPS in June in low A. He just turned 19 the other day and this is his first full season of pro ball so that's a good sign he is already starting to pick things up. It would be nice if we could finally hit on international market.

Yes his OPS is in the .700s now, used to be in the .400s, so he's been doing better

• Thanks 1

I mentioned him before on here but Austin Bergner had another great start for Erie. 6 innings of 3 hit, 1 run ball with 7 Ks to drop his season ERA to 2.41 with a 1.01 whip and 9 k/9. 

I don't know how legit of a prospect he is, he's 25 so not exactly young but was just drafted in 2019 so doesn't have a ton of pro experience. Only info I can really gather about him was that he was a top 5ish pitching prospect coming out HS but chose to go to UNC instead. 

It would be nice if he rounds into another legit pitching prospect, perhaps if we gather enough of them we may be able to deal some for a legit bat. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mentioned him before on here but Austin Bergner had another great start for Erie. 6 innings of 3 hit, 1 run ball with 7 Ks to drop his season ERA to 2.41 with a 1.01 whip and 9 k/9. 

I don't know how legit of a prospect he is, he's 25 so not exactly young but was just drafted in 2019 so doesn't have a ton of pro experience. Only info I can really gather about him was that he was a top 5ish pitching prospect coming out HS but chose to go to UNC instead. 

It would be nice if he rounds into another legit pitching prospect, perhaps if we gather enough of them we may be able to deal some for a legit bat. 

keep hope alive and dont let micro see this post!