Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

I'm definitely not writing off Tork at all but I definitely have tempered my expectations and hopes. Based off of the publicity he got his last year in college and the hype he had I thought he had a legit chance to be a top 5 hitter in baseball in terms of just hitting the ball now I don't have those same expectations.

I still think he can be a plus hitter, maybe even an All Star Level guy if everything goes right but being a true silver slugger type guy I'm starting to doubt. But admittedly this could all just be recency bias and putting too much emphasis on how he looks at the moment. If he crushes the ball the rest of the year my views may suddenly change. 

52 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm definitely not writing off Tork at all but I definitely have tempered my expectations and hopes. Based off of the publicity he got his last year in college and the hype he had I thought he had a legit chance to be a top 5 hitter in baseball in terms of just hitting the ball now I don't have those same expectations.

I still think he can be a plus hitter, maybe even an All Star Level guy if everything goes right but being a true silver slugger type guy I'm starting to doubt. But admittedly this could all just be recency bias and putting too much emphasis on how he looks at the moment. If he crushes the ball the rest of the year my views may suddenly change. 

Fans, in general, spend too much time staring at stats, and then overreacting.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

i'm definitely not writing him off, im just worried.

im a worrier.

Yes it seems the biggest miscalculation was declaring the rebuild over and pushing Tork and trading Paredas etc instead of just starting the season with the new free agents , holding our minor league position players and bringing them up slowly when ready. 

Maybe Al was feeling the heat to end the suck and now it’s double suck. 

But no matter he’s still the boss. 

If you are not at least a little concerned about Tork, you are not living in reality.  That's not to say he is more likely to bust than succeed or you can't be optimistic overall.  But there is no doubt the perspective on him has to have changed a little bit from last year...and not for the better.  

3 hours ago, buddha said:

i'm definitely not writing him off, im just worried.

im a worrier.

I believe Tork was the 1st position player in his draft class to start in the Majors, so he was fast tracked. But the lost year hurt Tork's draft class a lot. He should have come into this season with 450 more AB.

I hope it's just a matter of him learning that he has to try to do less. Even guys who have hit as well and as easily as Tork all their lives may have to adjust their ambitions when facing MLB pitchers. 

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, TJ Rollercoaster said:

As some have been disappointed with Tork's performance in the majors this year, one of the other players who was frequently discussed as a candidate for the #1 selection in 2020, Max Meyer, just had TJ surgery

Here’s the other guy that was in the conversation

E0181573-74BF-4B3E-9296-304F3C33C67F.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Here’s the other guy that was in the conversation

E0181573-74BF-4B3E-9296-304F3C33C67F.jpeg

Asa Lacy was another one and he's been hot garbage every year thus far for the Royals in their system and not even in most people's top 100s anymore. Like 2018 with Mize it could be one of those years where nobody at the top ends of being any good. 

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Paul Konerko?

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Paul Konerko?

Yeah I was thinking him or maybe a Mark Teixeira type if all goes well. Teixeira was consistently at or near All Star level but only had a couple seasons where he was really elite.

That of course would be a solid turnout but at the time of the draft I was hoping he'd be more of a Goldschmidt type, the type of guy who you could basically pencil in to be a top 5 or 10 hitter every year so "only" being a Teixeira or Konerko would be somewhat disappointing based off how I felt at draft time. 

Edited by RandyMarsh