Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The burning mystery of Jacob Robson's disappearance without a trace has been resolved. He has hooked on with the Kansas City Monarchs - and indie league team. Still has never been any transaction posted for him by the Tigers....

This strikes me as very odd.  He has the profile of a loyal org soldier, had his cup of coffee last year, helped Carpenter with his swing...and then poof.  They didn't even waste the ink on a Transactions note.

Although Kiley Mcdaniel og ESPNranked is 24th there was one positive in his right up, since it's behind a paywall I'll have to paraphrase but it was something to the extent of "I liked there first two picks of Jung and Graham, and Colt Keith has rocketed his way into the top 100..." it was then followed by negative talk but the main point I was bringing up is that it sounds like Keith is in his top 100 so along with Jung, Jobe, Flores and Dingler(101 on FG ) that makes 5 different guys make atleast 1 of the national's top 101.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Carpenter goes 0/4 and gets called up, clearly they were just waiting for that. Graham with 3 SB already.

Under the we can't have nice things column looks like Pacheco got hurt last night when someone slid into 3rd. 

That sucks about Pacheco, Im assuming he will need stitches and if he does that will keep him out for atleast a couple weeks I would think.

Wasn't it Tork last spring training that needed stitches cause he cut himself with a kitchen knife and it ended up basically screwing up his whole spring training?

1 minute ago, buddha said:

tork in toledo looks exactly like tork in detroit.

197/293/364

I'll be honest, I am under the assumption that Tork won't be "OK" until next season. I feel like he needs some time away to reset. I hope they keep him in Toledo next season until he shows he needs to be brought up or if he is lights out in spring training. 

28 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I'll be honest, I am under the assumption that Tork won't be "OK" until next season. I feel like he needs some time away to reset. I hope they keep him in Toledo next season until he shows he needs to be brought up or if he is lights out in spring training. 

I'm in the same boat, I think some time away from the game could be beneficial along with hitting the weight room hard cause it seems like he has lost a lot of that power and bat speed from when he was drafted.

I can't remember if it was Covid or some other illness but I remember hearing how he was pretty sick over the winter early spring this past year so maybe that sapped some of his power and with some hard work in the gym this offseason he can regain it back. 

Idk Im trying to think of any explanation I can think of for his struggles outside of him just magically losing all power and batting skills 2 years after being declared one of the best college hitting prospects this century.  

To me, the thing that makes it look like something has changed is the K rate. His MiLB K rates weren't bad last year, and even if he was K'ing too much in Det I would have expected that to fall back to his previous AAA rate when he was sent down, but it hasn't, and K rate is something you normally don't need that big a sample size to start getting a good indication.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

To me, the thing that makes it look like something has changed is the K rate. His MiLB K rates weren't bad last year, and even if he was K'ing too much in Det I would have expected that to fall back to his previous AAA rate when he was sent down, but it hasn't, and K rate is something you normally don't need that big a sample size to start getting a good indication.

I'm in this boat as well. He's overall been a better player in Toledo than in Detroit, but if you look at the game logs, it's absolute roller coaster.... he had a three game stretch in Iowa last week where he went 5/11, 2BB, 2K, then followed up by a game where he went 0-5 with 3K, hits a homer the next game, then 3 games where he's 0-10.

But like you suggest, even when he's had some success in Toledo, where he's been consistent has been with K's.... there's too many of them. Even with possible mechanical adjustments that might be going on, we've seen enough ABs to be a bit concerned IMO

Edited by mtutiger

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Without looking at the details of every K I would have to think the loss of bat speed has to be a big reason why. If he spent the previous 5 years swinging 5mph faster than he is now surly his timing is going to be off and he's going to be late on pitches he used to square up.

He either needs to ideally get that speed back or at worst recalibrate himself at his current speed going forward. 

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm in the same boat, I think some time away from the game could be beneficial along with hitting the weight room hard cause it seems like he has lost a lot of that power and bat speed from when he was drafted.

I can't remember if it was Covid or some other illness but I remember hearing how he was pretty sick over the winter early spring this past year so maybe that sapped some of his power and with some hard work in the gym this offseason he can regain it back. 

Idk Im trying to think of any explanation I can think of for his struggles outside of him just magically losing all power and batting skills 2 years after being declared one of the best college hitting prospects this century.  

Perhaps Torkelson was under the influence of steroids during his power hitting college career.

That's a tough accusation to make, but for a guy that came out of college carrying a big bat to completely fall off a cliff like Torkelson has, makes me think that there is more to this collapse than coaching.

He wouldn't be the first and certainly wouldn't be the last.😠

3 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Does anyone know how the 3rd baseman we traded to Cincinnati for Barnhart is doing? I think we drafted him in the second round and he was bad. Curious if he is still bad or better in the Reds system. 

Nick Quintana, He is in High-A at the moment https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=quinta000nic

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

What is the organization's hitting philosophy?

Swing at nothing down the middle... it's a trap. Swing at every breaking ball out of the zone.

"Make the pitcher work and see as many pitches as you can so make sure you take the first pitch cookie to put you down in the count so you can play catch up the rest of the at bat."

• Sad 1