Things that bring a smile to your face

oblong

On 5/9/2024 at 2:47 PM, chasfh said:

I don't have 17 minutes, can you boil it down for me?

No way I could do it justice.  From someone that I think is a bit of a PBS'er type of guy, I'd think you'd love a 10-20 minute spoken word story.  🙂

TL/DR, He finally met John Prine after years of mutual friends, scares him, and it ends with front row seats.

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

No way I could do it justice.  From someone that I think is a bit of a PBS'er type of guy, I'd think you'd love a 10-20 minute spoken word story.  🙂

TL/DR, He finally met John Prine after years of mutual friends, scares him, and it ends with front row seats.

It probably wouldn’t land with me since I know approximately as much about John Prine as I do about Benjamin Crump! 😂

• Haha 2

First Italian ice of the season today. When my dad was alive, we’d hit this place in March.  Even when he couldn’t remember my name, he still knew where we were when we pulled up to this place.

Had lemon ice today, in your memory, Dad.

IMG_4044.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

First Italian ice of the season today. When my dad was alive, we’d hit this place in March.  Even when he couldn’t remember my name, he still knew where we were when we pulled up to this place.

Had lemon ice today, in your memory, Dad.IMG_4044.jpeg

My wife’s grandmother was well into Alzheimer’s when I came around.  But I could tell she was a sweetheart when she had her wits about her because she’d ask you how you were doing and wish you Happy New Year no matter what day it was.  She also know at Thanksgiving when her wine glass was empty and to simply hold it up and say quite matter of factly “mine’s empty”.

• Like 2

My Dad loved ice cream and coffee. When he was in the hospital with a heart attack at the age of 96 we asked a nurse if he could get a little of each, which he wasn’t supposed to have. The nurse (so many wonderful ones out there) went to the staff fridge/breakroom and got him a small helping of each. Had to take the oxygen mask off for it, but he enjoyed that little treat. He died a few weeks later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 2:06 PM, Dan Gilmore said:

My Dad loved ice cream and coffee. When he was in the hospital with a heart attack at the age of 96 we asked a nurse if he could get a little of each, which he wasn’t supposed to have. The nurse (so many wonderful ones out there) went to the staff fridge/breakroom and got him a small helping of each. Had to take the oxygen mask off for it, but he enjoyed that little treat. He died a few weeks later.

So great. There really is no point on holding back on things at the very end.

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So great. There really is no point on holding back on things at the very end.

Had an uncle who took up smoking after his wife passed.  He was of the WWII or Korea generation. Like most he smoked then quit for a long time, from like the 70s onwards.  Then in the mid 2010’s he’d sit outside the small house they bought  in the 50s and raised 3 kids in and smoke and lived out the rest of his life. Had a quick illness but nothing out of the ordinary.  I always told him I wanted to be him when I grew up. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m sharing this with y’all right now.  I’m in Jeckyll island Georgia for a cousins trip. Recently one of my wife’s cousins was diagnosed with ALS. That prompted them all to plan a trip here for her.  There’s 22 of us here. She’s progressed to the point where she’s wheelchair bound.  Today we convinced her to let us get her into the pool at the resort. I was one that happened to be thwarted to hang on to her as she got in and to carry her around.  She started giggling.  I asked if she was ok and she said yes, she’s loving it.   I will never ever forget that for the rest of my life and feel honored to be fortunate enough to have been able to give her that joy.  Live your live and cherish it every moment.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’m kicking myself a little bit for not paying more attention to Aurora Borealis (“At this time of year …”). I was in Menominee that night, which means it probably would have been even more spectacular watching it up there, but I just wasn’t aware of it because my wife and I were on a driving vacation, so we were missing a lot of daily news coverage.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’m kicking myself a little bit for not paying more attention to Aurora Borealis (“At this time of year …”). I was in Menominee that night, which means it probably would have been even more spectacular watching it up there, but I just wasn’t aware of it because my wife and I were on a driving vacation, so we were missing a lot of daily news coverage.

It’s spectacular. If I had a dollar for every “wow” I said over the course of an hour, I could probably pay for lunch at Five Guys. 

The Federal Trade Commission adopted a final rule Wednesday that will require businesses to make it easy for consumers to cancel unwanted subscriptions and memberships.

The “click-to-cancel” rule will prohibit retailers and other businesses from misleading people about subscriptions and require them to obtain consumers’ consent before charging for memberships, auto-renewals and programs linked to free trial offers.

The FTC said businesses must also disclose when free trials or other promotional offers will end and let customers end recurring subscriptions as easily as they started them.

YAY!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1