Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

A couple of brain-dead mistakes yesterday really hurt their teams

- A Seahawks player, after tackling Deebo, twisted his ankle..........and ankle that was hurt this year........that really pissed off the 49ers and they were out for blood after that. 

- Bosa from the Chargers was held on a play, it got missed and he threw his helmet down while on the field, cutting the 2 point conversion in half the distance - Lawrence snuck it in and made it a 2 point game.   

Dumb Dumb Dumb.    Bad tempers. 

Brock Purdy is the story...........and I think Purdy is kind of showing that you don't need an extremely expensive QB to win.  You need a GAME MANAGER.   It's all about the system .    It's not easy to put the system in place and have it run smoothly, but once you do, the most important thing is - don't turn the ball over, don't try to win the game by yourself.   It's the opposite of Carson Wentz.   We have that kind of QB in Jared Goff.   So few mistakes in the 2nd half.    His hand size is an issue and he'll always have some issue with fumbles, but he just played smart and didn't try to win games by himself. 

Back up QB is going to be important.      Some very interesting names will likely be available.     Taylor Heinecke become is a Free Agent.   That would be my #1 hope for backup here.    Others that could be interesting are Colt McCoy -   Matt Ryan is likely out there too and even though that isn't exciting, they are all upgrades over Sudfeld.    Stay away from Baker Mayfield and Carson Wentz. 

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Brock Purdy is the story...........and I think Purdy is kind of showing that you don't need an extremely expensive QB to win.  You need a GAME MANAGER.   It's all about the system .    It's not easy to put the system in place and have it run smoothly, but once you do, the most important thing is - don't turn the ball over, don't try to win the game by yourself.   It's the opposite of Carson Wentz.   We have that kind of QB in Jared Goff.   So few mistakes in the 2nd half.    His hand size is an issue and he'll always have some issue with fumbles, but he just played smart and didn't try to win games by himself. 

Back up QB is going to be important.      Some very interesting names will likely be available.     Taylor Heinecke become is a Free Agent.   That would be my #1 hope for backup here.    Others that could be interesting are Colt McCoy -   Matt Ryan is likely out there too and even though that isn't exciting, they are all upgrades over Sudfeld.    Stay away from Baker Mayfield and Carson Wentz. 

Brock Purdy's strengths coming out of college was he could go through his reads, place the ball well and had good poise. He didn't have the ideal physical attributes nor howitzer of an arm that teams seem to overrate which is why he barely was drafted. But he is the type of guy you can win with if you have the supporting cast around him specifically good O-line and players that can create space like he has in SF. So yeah I agree, if you have the pieces around your QB you can win with guys that are only "game managers". 

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Brock Purdy's strengths coming out of college was he could go through his reads, place the ball well and had good poise. He didn't have the ideal physical attributes nor howitzer of an arm that teams seem to overrate which is why he barely was drafted. But he is the type of guy you can win with if you have the supporting cast around him specifically good O-line and players that can create space like he has in SF. So yeah I agree, if you have the pieces around your QB you can win with guys that are only "game managers". 

That's what Brady is.  He's the best of all time at it, but he's not fast, he's not elusive and never had the strongest arm.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

brock purdy is showing you need a really good head coach/ offensive playcaller....plus the best defense in the league....to win.

45 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's what Brady is.  He's the best of all time at it, but he's not fast, he's not elusive and never had the strongest arm.  

Montana did have some legs, but he did not have upper tier arm talent either. Winning QB play is only half about physical talent. It does help if you are tall enough to see easily, and strong enough to be harder to tackle (Brady does have both of those). And that's the thing. You can put a QB with great IQ, good accuracy and management skill into a setting where he doesn't need to make a lot of circus throws or run for a lot of yardage with more predictability than you can put a QB who can make circus plays out there and get enough of those kind of plays and few enough mistakes to win consistently without the rest of the cast around him.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Genuine question what is the track records in terms of young OCs becoming Head Coaches? I know that is the trend the past several years but how many of these guys have had actual success after being a HC? 

Looking at the teams in the playoffs in the NFC, you have Sirianni, Shanahan, O'Connell, Daboll, and Mike McCarthy was originally hired in Green Bay as a young offensive coordinator. Todd Bowles and Pete Carrol were non offensive coordinators in the NFC. Looking at the AFC you have Reid, Taylor, Pederson, and McDaniel as offensive coaches. Only McDermott, Staley and Harbaugh were non offensive coaches. This also doesn't include McVay who won the Super Bowl last year or LaFluer who had the best record in the NFC last year. 

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think Brock Purdy is Tom Brady. I do think Brock Purdy is a testament that the Russell Wilson/Matt Stafford manner of selling the farm for a QB is not the only way to build a successful team. 

Well, no, of course not, but I do think they will be teammates next year in San Francisco.   Could the Niners trade Trey Lance?   Would Miami or Baltimore be a good landing spot for him........waiting in the Wings.   I think Tua is one hit away from the end of his career (everyone does) and I'm not so sure Lamar Jackson and the Ravens are a marriage that works.   Lamar is not a great drop-back passer and super mobile guys like that lose their value quickly.   That's such an interesting situation.  Lamar thinks he's a $50 million a year guy............I really have my doubts on that, especially long term.  To me it's similar to Carlos Correa in baseball -- is he really a $33 million a year guy?   I don't think so.    The Ravens don't want to go into a season with a Ty Huntley, but I think the Oh Wow factor of Lamar has faded quickly.   The Ravens could possibly be a team to make a deal with Chicago at #1 for Bryce Young, CJ Stroud or Will Levis.  

Teams in the market for a QB in the draft (young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson, Hooker)

For sure 

- Houston - they'll ruin whomever they pick

- Indy - I still think Harbaugh is ending up here

- Carolina - Could be a good fit for Derek Carr, who still has a few good years left.  

- Las Vegas - Could this be were Aaron Rodgers ends up?  I think so.   Here or Tennessee.  

Maybe

- New Orleans (they need a do-over)

- Tennessee  (unless they feel they unlocked Willis)  This team is spinning it's wheels, and Travis Henry doesn't have a lot of tread left

- New England (Mac wants out)  Maybe instead, the Genius could hire a real OC instead of his buddy.  

- Washington (again - as always)   They have bungled this for years

- Tampa Bay (post Brady years coming)   They are about to be the worst team in the NFL 

- Baltimore (They'd probably love to replace Lamar).   I'm getting the "He could play if he really wanted" vibe, but we need to be careful in judging another person's tolerance for pain.  

- Miami (they need to prepare for the inevitable)  Maybe they actually end up with Brady, but they need to think long-term too.  

- Green Bay (I think Mommy & Daddy will each be much happier living apart)

Lots of teams will be angling for that #1 pick.  The Bears are in the fabled catbird seat.  They could even trade Fields and take a QB at #1 themselves.   Plus they have a ton of money in cap space.  

Not that QBR is the be all end all stat for QBs but just by going by that there were only 7 QBs with a 60 or higher grade including Goff at number 5, last year there 12 and the year before that there were 16 so going by that there are more and more teams getting worse QB play so yeah you would think there's going to be near half the teams in the league in the market for a QB this year.

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, no, of course not, but I do think they will be teammates next year in San Francisco.   Could the Niners trade Trey Lance?   Would Miami or Baltimore be a good landing spot for him........waiting in the Wings.   I think Tua is one hit away from the end of his career (everyone does) and I'm not so sure Lamar Jackson and the Ravens are a marriage that works.   Lamar is not a great drop-back passer and super mobile guys like that lose their value quickly.   That's such an interesting situation.  Lamar thinks he's a $50 million a year guy............I really have my doubts on that, especially long term.  To me it's similar to Carlos Correa in baseball -- is he really a $33 million a year guy?   I don't think so.    The Ravens don't want to go into a season with a Ty Huntley, but I think the Oh Wow factor of Lamar has faded quickly.   The Ravens could possibly be a team to make a deal with Chicago at #1 for Bryce Young, CJ Stroud or Will Levis.  

Teams in the market for a QB in the draft (young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson, Hooker)

For sure 

- Houston - they'll ruin whomever they pick

- Indy - I still think Harbaugh is ending up here

- Carolina - Could be a good fit for Derek Carr, who still has a few good years left.  

- Las Vegas - Could this be were Aaron Rodgers ends up?  I think so.   Here or Tennessee.  

Maybe

- New Orleans (they need a do-over)

- Tennessee  (unless they feel they unlocked Willis)  This team is spinning it's wheels, and Travis Henry doesn't have a lot of tread left

- New England (Mac wants out)  Maybe instead, the Genius could hire a real OC instead of his buddy.  

- Washington (again - as always)   They have bungled this for years

- Tampa Bay (post Brady years coming)   They are about to be the worst team in the NFL 

- Baltimore (They'd probably love to replace Lamar).   I'm getting the "He could play if he really wanted" vibe, but we need to be careful in judging another person's tolerance for pain.  

- Miami (they need to prepare for the inevitable)  Maybe they actually end up with Brady, but they need to think long-term too.  

- Green Bay (I think Mommy & Daddy will each be much happier living apart)

Lots of teams will be angling for that #1 pick.  The Bears are in the fabled catbird seat.  They could even trade Fields and take a QB at #1 themselves.   Plus they have a ton of money in cap space.  

🔥🔥🔥🔥

Between Shanahan, the offensive line and guys like Deebo, CMC, Kittle and Aiyuk who are masters of not only getting open but running after the catch he definitely is in the perfect situation for him. I watched him a few times this year and when guys get open or on crossing patterns where a guy has a step on the defender and Purdy can lead him with the throw he is damn good. Of what I watched of him there weren't many plays where they show a replay of a guy wide open and he didn't throw to him, he's good at going through his reads. 

Of course it's still only been a half year and as impressive as he has looked if you're good enough to make it to the NFL you're good enough to play well for a couple months if everything clicks. We'll have to wait and see if he can continue to play like this for the long haul. 

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Would the same be said of Brady and Belichick?

no.

i think you can see some of that phenomenon in mac jones losing josh mcdaniels.

jones went from overrated competent system manager to below average limited starter in just one season.

the dolphins have been "suffering" a lot more than the bills have.  miami has those early 70s teams, but never won with marino and havent been good since.  meanwhile the bills have been to multiple super bowls and won multiple playoff games.  

the dolphins havent won a playoff game in 22 years.