Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

How the fudge do you give up 70 points in the NFL!!! The Dolphins have an electric offense. Meanwhile, the Broncos, even with Sean Payton, are complete trash. They sold everything to get Russ and he's just not good anymore and it doesn't look like Sean Payton has any magic in him to turn Wilson around.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Old friend alert!

Always thought he deserved another gig. He was a lot like Campbell, but he was plain reckless at times. Like throwing a challenge flag and costing us a touchdown. And not having control over the team enough to preach discipline.

Ten years may have done him wonders in settling him down just enough.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Always thought he deserved another gig. He was a lot like Campbell, but he was plain reckless at times. Like throwing a challenge flag and costing us a touchdown. And not having control over the team enough to preach discipline.

Ten years may have done him wonders in settling him down just enough.

At the same time and this point in his career does he really crave the responsibilities of a head coach. He excels as DC, maybe it's another Peters principle example. A bit like Marty Morningweg

55 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Old friend alert!

I am firmly of the opinion that some people who are excellent coordinators are just not cut out to be HCs. That's not a knock on them... there's only 64 NFL coordinator positions in the world (not counting ST coordinators I guess) so that's a very, very high achievement to reach.

Being a HC requires different skills than being a coordinator so we shouldn't just assume great coordinator = good (or great) HC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I am firmly of the opinion that some people who are excellent coordinators are just not cut out to be HCs. That's not a knock on them... there's only 64 NFL coordinator positions in the world (not counting ST coordinators I guess) so that's a very, very high achievement to reach.

Being a HC requires different skills than being a coordinator so we shouldn't just assume great coordinator = good (or great) HC.

I thought he was the perfect Head Coach for the time he was hired.   They needed a "f you" guy to recover from 0-16, but he just never stopped being that guy.   You can be that way at the start but you have to chill after that because nobody buys into it after a year or two.     If he'd hired a better O Coordinator he might have been more successful here.    I don't dislike the guy, I just don't like that he got carried off the field after winning a game.  Thought that was kind of classless. 

55 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I thought he was the perfect Head Coach for the time he was hired.   They needed a "f you" guy to recover from 0-16, but he just never stopped being that guy.   You can be that way at the start but you have to chill after that because nobody buys into it after a year or two.     If he'd hired a better O Coordinator he might have been more successful here.    I don't dislike the guy, I just don't like that he got carried off the field after winning a game.  Thought that was kind of classless. 

The rumor out there at the time too was that he asked his players to do that if they won.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Team discipline didn't improve either - always too many penalties. Part of that was still not really having good enough players, but part of it was low detail emphasis coaching.

I think Martin Mayhew is one of the worst General Managers in the league now and was when he was here as well. In hindsight, Mayhew got bailed out by Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson. I think Schwartz wasn't a great coach and led an undisciplined team that always made a series of little mistakes. I think he also deserves criticism for hanging onto Scott Linehan and his vanilla offensive system for too long. He also allowed Matt Stafford to be reckless with the football at times and force passes that would be come turnovers.

But Schwartz also got a raw deal here with the **** talent that Mayhew gave him to work with. Now, some of that poor talent may fall on him as well because one would presume he was in the war room on draft day and at least had some input on personnel decisions. Mayhew was just not a good drafter though. He had 1st round picks the likes of Butterfingers Brandon Pettigrew, lazy and unmotivated Nick Fairley, and concussion-prone Jahvid Best. His 2nd round record was a total abomination outside of Darius Slay and maybe Louis Delmas (who I wanted at the time). He drafted a player who potentially had undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia in Titus Young, Ryan Broyles with no ACL, and Mikel Leshoure who got caught driving around with weed all over his car and tried eating it on a traffic stop. The 3rd round is probably where Mayhew did his best, getting DeAndre Levy and Larry Warford. But with so many high profile, high round busts, that type of poor drafting track record is hard for a coach to overcome. Now, if Schwartz was involved in many or all of those personnel moves, I have little sympathy for him.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Martin Mayhew is one of the worst General Managers in the league now and was when he was here as well. In hindsight, Mayhew got bailed out by Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson. I think Schwartz wasn't a great coach and led an undisciplined team that always made a series of little mistakes. I think he also deserves criticism for hanging onto Scott Linehan and his vanilla offensive system for too long. He also allowed Matt Stafford to be reckless with the football at times and force passes that would be come turnovers.

But Schwartz also got a raw deal here with the **** talent that Mayhew gave him to work with. Now, some of that poor talent may fall on him as well because one would presume he was in the war room on draft day and at least had some input on personnel decisions. Mayhew was just not a good drafter though. He had 1st round picks the likes of Butterfingers Brandon Pettigrew, lazy and unmotivated Nick Fairley, and concussion-prone Jahvid Best. His 2nd round record was a total abomination outside of Darius Slay and maybe Louis Delmas (who I wanted at the time). He drafted a player who potentially had undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia in Titus Young, Ryan Broyles with no ACL, and Mikel Leshoure who got caught driving around with weed all over his car and tried eating it on a traffic stop. The 3rd round is probably where Mayhew did his best, getting DeAndre Levy and Larry Warford. But with so many high profile, high round busts, that type of poor drafting track record is hard for a coach to overcome. Now, if Schwartz was involved in many or all of those personnel moves, I have little sympathy for him.

The whole DeAndre Levy injury was handled in clown shoes. Team would never disclose injury and he stayed on active roster for like 6 weeks and never practiced. Those were bad times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

The whole DeAndre Levy injury was handled in clown shoes. Team would never disclose injury and he stayed on active roster for like 6 weeks and never practiced. Those were bad times.

That was a disgrace. Did we ever even find out what we wrong with Levy in the end? He played one game after getting that extension it felt like and that was it.

"[jalen]Carter has been a force within the Eagles defensive line. He’s picked up 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and five total tackles (two of them for a loss) during his first three games. Carter ranks seventh in pressure percentage among 195 qualified pass rushers (minimum 36 pass rush snaps) with a 20.5 percent rate. That’s All-Pro level type pressure."

we're going to regret passing on aaron donald 2.0.

• Thanks 2