Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The game clock or play clock running out isn't reviewable? That rule need to change. It isn't a judgment call. The rules committee needs to address this ASAP.

It feels like the play clock should just have some sort of buzzer associated with it. Not sure why the shot clock in the NBA is treated so vastly differently than the play clock in the NFL. The whole “40 seconds isn’t really 40 seconds” philosophy of giving them extra time between the back judge seeing zero and looking for the snap never made sense to me. I don’t want that to devolve into five reviews per game though, because usually it’s not an issue. Only when they give them an extra two seconds to setup an NFL record field goal against the Lions.

The game clock though, that should just be reviewable. If they can look at a play and adjust the game clock accordingly, they should be able to look at a play for the purposes of the game clock and determine that the snap shouldn’t have occurred. Games shouldn’t last 60:01 because that extra second can make a huge difference.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It feels like the play clock should just have some sort of buzzer associated with it. Not sure why the shot clock in the NBA is treated so vastly differently than the play clock in the NFL. The whole “40 seconds isn’t really 40 seconds” philosophy of giving them extra time between the back judge seeing zero and looking for the snap never made sense to me. I don’t want that to devolve into five reviews per game though, because usually it’s not an issue. Only when they give them an extra two seconds to setup an NFL record field goal against the Lions.

The game clock though, that should just be reviewable. If they can look at a play and adjust the game clock accordingly, they should be able to look at a play for the purposes of the game clock and determine that the snap shouldn’t have occurred. Games shouldn’t last 60:01 because that extra second can make a huge difference.

It wouldn't lead to extra reviews. Teams should be allowed to review it and if they lose, it counts against their allowable reviews/timeouts.

The entire reason for the reviews is to just get it right. This is not a judgement call like forward progress being stopped. It's an actual fact of time has run out, play is over. Turning time into a judgement call is absurd. You're correct, there should be a buzzer that goes off in the officials ear. Otherwise, they may not hear it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It wouldn't lead to extra reviews. Teams should be allowed to review it and if they lose, it counts against their allowable reviews/timeouts.

The entire reason for the reviews is to just get it right. This is not a judgement call like forward progress being stopped. It's an actual fact of time has run out, play is over. Turning time into a judgement call is absurd. You're correct, there should be a buzzer that goes off in the officials ear. Otherwise, they may not hear it.

At the high school level they already have something like that. It goes on the officials’ waist and vibrates at 10 seconds and then continuously from 5 to 0, so when it shuts off they know time is up.

At the NFL level I’m not sure why they can’t synchronize something like that with the on-field clock so that there is no looking from zero to ball, it’s just looking at ball, feeling vibration, flag.

• Like 1

If it had been the end of an even numbered quarter, I could see being upset, but if they don't snap the ball, the quarter ends, there's no reason to believe they don't go to the other end, run the same play with the same result. The end of the 1st and 3rd aren't possession enders like the end of the half and the game so I don't really see one play being on either side of the quarter break as material to the outcome of the game.

17 minutes ago, number20 said:

Brutal pick 6 by Cousins.

Panthers win would be a two-fer. Loss to a division team plus a drop in the Bears' draft pick

Vikings are absolutely in a must win here.  They have the chiefs next week. Down 10-0 early in the 2nd quarter.

Lions don’t play the Vikings until weeks 16 and 18. Might be a much different Vikings team than started the season. If they can’t pull it out today they are staring 0-5 in the face with a number of tough games remaining. I’m not sure what direction that team is going. Seems like this is the last year of Cousins. 

8 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Vikings are absolutely in a must win here.  They have the chiefs next week. Down 10-0 early in the 2nd quarter.

Lions don’t play the Vikings until weeks 16 and 18. Might be a much different Vikings team than started the season. If they can’t pull it out today they are staring 0-5 in the face with a number of tough games remaining. I’m not sure what direction that team is going. Seems like this is the last year of Cousins. 

I'm cool with some Bears and Vikings wins. I don't want either team picking at the top of the draft. Neither appear to be a threat to the Lions, so go ahead - win some games. Just not today, Vikings

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think NBC is just going to have Taylor Cam in the corner of the screen the whole game. 

Any Chiefs game is going to be unwatchable as long as they are dating. 

I mean, enough already.   

And you thought constantly cutting to Kurt Warner's wife was too much,   HA !

And Travis Kelce is suddenly the pitchman for almost every product known to man, including… well. Am I the only one who thinks this is a match made by their PR consultants?