Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

4 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Vikings are absolutely in a must win here.  They have the chiefs next week. Down 10-0 early in the 2nd quarter.

Lions don’t play the Vikings until weeks 16 and 18. Might be a much different Vikings team than started the season. If they can’t pull it out today they are staring 0-5 in the face with a number of tough games remaining. I’m not sure what direction that team is going. Seems like this is the last year of Cousins. 

1-4 won't be much better.

Top tier(The Favorites)

SF

Philly

2nd tier(capable of winning the conference if things break right)

Detroit

Dallas

Seattle

3rd tier(mediocre teams that could make the playoffs due to crappy conference)

Rams

Falcons

Packers

Saints

Commanders

Bucs

Giants

Vikings

Bottom Tier(Formerly known as 'The Lions tier') 

Cardinals

Panthers

Bears

i feel like fields could be a decent nfl qb if he was in a better organization.  but he went to a team with no offensive line, who hired a defensive head coach, and who had no picks to support him.

otoh, the man just has a lot of trouble reading the defense.

if he were on the lions playing behind a good oline with a good coordinator calling a lot of play action passes and designed runs, i think he could be ok.  but he's on a horrible chicago team and he's just thrown to the wolves.

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

There will be several good QBs for the Bears to choose from even if they don't get the top pick

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

feel like fields could be a decent nfl qb if he was in a better organization. 

So the bears replace Fields, he signs on/gets traded to a new org and resuscitates his career? Maybe in a big win against....the Bears?

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2023 at 3:39 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Team discipline didn't improve either - always too many penalties. Part of that was still not really having good enough players, but part of it was low detail emphasis coaching.

I dunno if it was low detail emphasis, or just Schwartz's game plan. I seem to remember that he said something to the effect of: Penalties are a cost of playing on the edge and I'm willing to accept penalties for that extra level of play.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:16 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember the interview Bill Ford Jr. did on WDFN right after the Millen introduction press conference.   He used the words, and I kid you not,  "Towering Intellect" when speaking of MIllen.    

If I recall correctly, the general wisdom of the time was that Millen really did know football well. He was a pretty highly praised analyst and I think there were rumors of other teams being interested in adding him to a staff, though not necessarily as a GM.

That said, knowing football is a big different than knowing how to GM. Just like I've said before that being a great OC or DC does not mean you'll be a good HC, the same applies here. There are skills involved in being a GM that extend far beyond being a good analyst.

At the time I was naively in favor of Millen as a "breathe of fresh air" in a front office that seems far too concerned with the numbers of a "old fashion" football. I couldn't have been more wrong. Millen had no knowledge on how to run a team.

Maybe if Millen had played the role of Chris Spielman, as a liaison between coaching staff, front office, and ownership, he would have been more successful. He was in over his head managing a scouting staff, contracts, draft board, etc  

I think identifying that role, and selecting Spielman for it, has been Sheila’s greatest decision as majority owner. Her second greatest decision has been to allow Holmes and Campbell to surround themselves with experienced staff.

She really opened up the checkbook to ensure that her first-time GM and HC (don’t bring up MCDC’s interim role) were not overwhelmed by their jobs. Spielman seems to be the guy who makes sure nobody is preening for the owner and who makes sure ownership understands what the team needs. If WCF was smart enough and committed enough, he might have had success putting Millen in a similar role. 

I don’t hate Millen. He was just overwhelmed by that job that was way too big for any one person. Sheila figured it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

If I recall correctly, the general wisdom of the time was that Millen really did know football well. He was a pretty highly praised analyst and I think there were rumors of other teams being interested in adding him to a staff, though not necessarily as a GM.

That said, knowing football is a big different than knowing how to GM. Just like I've said before that being a great OC or DC does not mean you'll be a good HC, the same applies here. There are skills involved in being a GM that extend far beyond being a good analyst.

At the time I was naively in favor of Millen as a "breathe of fresh air" in a front office that seems far too concerned with the numbers of a "old fashion" football. I couldn't have been more wrong. Millen had no knowledge on how to run a team.

Millen was just the tip of the iceberg in that group. There were several long time front office friends of WC who kept giving input beyond MM's role. In my opinion only (looking at it from a distance) the entire front office should have been gutted from Tom Lawand on down.