Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

On 10/16/2023 at 4:10 AM, Jimbo said:

The biggest concern I have right now are the injuries.  Can't keep losing guys every week. 

I wouldn't plan on the Lions ever getting back to "healthy" or full strength the entire rest of the season. By the time they get an injured player back, another will certainly go out. Just a matter of who and when. Pretty much the same for any NFL team, more or less

Reportedly Caleb Williams is going to demand ownership stake in any team that drafts him. Dont see any team going for that cause that may start a precedent but we shall see. 

Aside from that I wonder how that would effect the salary cap situation? Like what if they sign him to say a few million a year and compensate the rest in ownership stake? Would that team in turn only have the few million go against them on the cap?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Reportedly Caleb Williams is going to demand ownership stake in any team that drafts him. Dont see any team going for that cause that may start a precedent but we shall see. 

Aside from that I wonder how that would effect the salary cap situation? Like what if they sign him to say a few million a year and compensate the rest in ownership stake? Would that team in turn only have the few million go against them on the cap?

Hope he enjoys Canada.

12 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I mean are we moving to flag soon? 

I don’t really understand what their alternative solution is. If a guy gets caught from behind, is the defender supposed to just hold him there in position until someone else can tackle him from the front? He’s still defenseless in that scenario. Jump on top and get carried for a ride? That’s not tackling. Or are they supposed to clip them, and just make the tackle low from behind? That’s likely more dangerous that the hip drop.

I’m not surprised that tackles from behind are more injurious than tackles from the front, but I think any further rule change there would require substantial change in the way football is played.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t really understand what their alternative solution is. If a guy gets caught from behind, is the defender supposed to just hold him there in position until someone else can tackle him from the front? He’s still defenseless in that scenario. Jump on top and get carried for a ride? That’s not tackling. Or are they supposed to clip them, and just make the tackle low from behind? That’s likely more dangerous that the hip drop.

I’m not surprised that tackles from behind are more injurious than tackles from the front, but I think any further rule change there would require substantial change in the way football is played.

yeah - I'm not sure I'm seeing what they want the tackler to do differently either, but you assume that must have something more specific in mind - maybe just don't roll up on him?

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

after the nd game there have been some questions about williams.  drake maye is nipping at his heels.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - I'm not sure I'm seeing what they want the tackler to do differently either, but you assume that must have something more specific in mind - maybe just don't roll up on him?

I think to come out with a directive that players should attempt to avoid putting their weight on the back of the legs of an offensive player while making a tackle is fine.

Punitively though, make it a warning and then a fine, not yet another extremely subjective 15-yard penalty in the game official’s tool belt.

34 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Saints are bad. Carr is worse and the saints have the worst cap situation heading into 2024. 

Carr is bad. But he also gets hot, he's very inconsistent. And I'm not sure if New Orleans have O-Line injuries but they don't look very good. Kamara can still break off big chunks of yards though.

On 10/18/2023 at 10:16 AM, RandyMarsh said:

I think Caleb Williams is doing the right thing here and all players should be demanding the same. Teams should be functioning as either public-owned (like the Green Bay Packers) or worker-owned cooperatives and not money making machines for billionaire owners. Caleb Williams has every right to demand control over the means of production for the team he played for.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Caleb Williams is doing the right thing here and all players should be demanding the same. Teams should be functioning as either public-owned (like the Green Bay Packers) or worker-owned cooperatives and not money making machines for billionaire owners. Caleb Williams has every right to demand control over the means of production for the team he played for.

The problem is, he won’t get it. Not until his future Union bargains for it in the CBA. Which probably won’t make it to the final contract, because the vast majority of players would never be good enough or rich enough to demand it.

43 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

lol.

no.

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The problem is, he won’t get it. Not until his future Union bargains for it in the CBA. Which probably won’t make it to the final contract, because the vast majority of players would never be good enough or rich enough to demand it.

its not a "problem."  no rookie qb will or SHOULD get any ounce of ownership unless they want to pony up their money to get it.  nor should any employee.

players come and go, the franchise remains.

• Thanks 1

Anybody has the right to demand it, ownership has the right to deny it. Don't think it would likely to happen. There are not many owners who would ever want one player enough to offer them a cut of the team and as a group the owners could never bargain it away because there would be enough owners completely and adamantly opposed it could never become a league bargaining position. A rare end of career deal to a HOF player looking to move into management long term maybe, but that's different situation from a rookie contract.