Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

I will never understand a shotgun snap from 4th and and inches. Basically makes it 4th and 2. 

I get that the RB can do better if he is back far enough to pick a hole. What I've always wondered is why they don't drill RBs to take snaps so  short yardage plays could all be direct snap. I can see the point of letting the RB start a couple yds back, I don't see any point to the QB handling the ball. RB are expect to take hand-offs, pitches, laterals,  and catch passes,\; you can't persuade me that you couldn't bring RBs to equal security taking snaps as a QB.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I get that the RB can do better if he is back far enough to pick a hole. What I've always wondered is why they don't drill RBs to take snaps so  short yardage plays could all be direct snap. I can see the point of letting the RB start a couple yds back, I don't see any point to the QB handling the ball. RB are expect to take hand-offs, pitches, laterals,  and catch passes,\; you can't persuade me that you couldn't bring RBs to equal security taking snaps as a QB.

They do it as a trick play. Yeah, I don't get it either.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

...What I've always wondered is why they don't drill RBs to take snaps so  short yardage plays could all be direct snap...

Speculative answer...it might be it tells the D exactly what the play is?  My quick guess...

7 minutes ago, KnoxP said:

Speculative answer...it might be it tells the D exactly what the play is?  My quick guess...

If you play it single set back with the RB, but you don't have to do that either. I don't think it's ever anything you would do all the time, but it just seems having direct snap being a regular part of your offensive toolbox is something that should be an easy add - at least worth the effort of regularly practising your #1 RB to receive snaps. Obviously coaches don't think so!

• Like 1

So, the only comment I have to make after today (is actually a set of questions):

What does it take for the Lions to go from very very good, to the highest level in the NFL? What do they need to reach the level of the 49'ers/ Eagles/ Chiefs/ Dolphins (wut!!!)/ Ravens?  level...?

Because I think they will have a very very good, year/ record, prolly win the division, maybe even win a playoff game or two...

But I don't think they'll get past the NFC Championship game, and there are some premium AFC teams that would also prolly block the Lions from winning the whole enchilada even if they made the Super Bowl. I think the Lions need to make a couple of premium moves to get players that will get them to that level. IMO.

My 1st guess is: concentrate on Defense, not offense. Even though we've done nothing today against a really nasty Baltimore defense. 

Want list = (1st) top-level CB. Surtain or draft pick or whomever that may be. (2nd) more pass-rush, whether that's a Maxx Crosby type or a reasonable facsimile. (3) Do we need elevated coaching on D? Just asking....

And what do we need on offense? I don't see any must-have needs except rookie & 2nd year growth (Gibbs/ Jamo/ LaPorta), maybe a key RB depth player... is there a way to make our O-Line even more awesome? Does that help anything? Do we need more smashmouth running that could possibly steamroll a Ravens or 49'ers defense? Just asking...

Any comments/thoughts welcomed/ appreciated...

It's hard to make any conclusions from a performance like that. It was so bad on so many levels. If they play like that, they will lose to any of the 31 teams they play. No one or two additions will fix that. I would seriously consider it a wash when evaluating anyone but coaching (and that analysis needs to be done on a meta level, not in a vacuum).

On 10/20/2023 at 12:07 AM, gehringer_2 said:

The argument would probably be that removing the QB removes the deception that the team might pass or have a QB sneak or play action.  Of course you could always do like the Lions did and direct snap to the RB through the legs of the QB.

16 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

So, the only comment I have to make after today (is actually a set of questions):

Any comments/thoughts welcomed/ appreciated...

It's hard not to overreact after such a pounding the team look and not look at all the "weaknesses" on the team. Off the top of my head I guess I'd say these issues are the biggest:

Offense: Play calling. Look, I know Ben Johnson is supposed to be this OC god and he certainly seemed that last year. But this year? It just seems like "meh." He doesn't seem to be using Gibbs the way I'd like to see him used. Is that because Gibbs can't do it or because BJ isn't figuring out how to use him? Maybe injuries? I dunno. Between Monty, LaPorta, ahd ARSB I think we have a very good foundation of weapons coupled with very nice supporting cast. Maybe add some more depth to OL? (On a purely side note: I think BJ might regret not taking a HC job last year... I don't know that he gets the same offers this year.)

Defense: DL upgrades, Secondary depth. Hutch has been disruptive and other players have shown up occasionally, but they aren't getting consistent pressure on the QB without Blitzing. As for the secondary? I mean, I can't fault Holmes... three new starters in the backfield plus a high draft pick should have improved that position mightily, but two season ending injuries and then your rookie phenom is out injured as well? I suppose more depth here would help.

I understand the frustration and some over reaction to yesterdays game.  The texts I got from friends probably more than on here.  I will say though that a butt kicking like this could affect confidence or it could give the team a reality check and make them better.  I know there thing as of late was that they weren't listening to everyone saying how good they were although I never bought that.  They deserved to be in the conversation of one of the best teams in the league from both their record and how they played.  Besides KC, they really haven't beaten anyone though.  KC was a good road win although Jones/Kelce missing was a factor.  Its good for our record and getting a home playoff game but I am worried we really won't know what this team is until the playoffs. 

Three takeaways that I don't think are over reactions but just observations.  First: My biggest concern was the injuries that keep on happening and I think that was a factor in this game and especially in the secondary.  They also clearly need a back that can block better during pass plays which having Montgomery out was a factor.  Second: They struggle against mobile QB's and how to play them.  Too many times, they looked like they were having a sack and ended up a big play for the Ravens.  Give credit to Jackson, he played about a perfect game for his skill set.  Made some great throws under pressure.  Third: Goff looked horrible and is what a lot of others said about him.  When he gets pressured hes an average to below average QB.  You can still win with him and I even think a Superbowl.  You just need to make sure you keep on having a great offensive line.

I think Jimbo both answered Red's question and spoke to the weakness on offense:

Gibbs is not playing more because he doesn't pass-block very well. That counts. 

He'll probably improve, but he's not there yet. So yes, we miss Monty not just for hard running but also for pass-blocking and against the Ravens, again, that counted.

Also, we had a Practice Squad player at LG, and Glasgow at RG. Glasgow is a nice guard, especially as he can be a backup for both guard and center positions. No slight on him. But I saw several Ravens pass rushers coming through the right side of the line, right through Glasgow. Not having Vatai and Jonah, against the Ravens, hurts.

There's no panic attack here. It's simply, how can we match up against the top tier teams? On offense, we need to be fully healthy, and we need Gibbs and Jamo and LaPorta to get through their rookie jitters and up to 100% speed. We need them, IMO. To match up with the best.

On defense, I think we need to upper echelon playmakers. 1 shutdown CB (dreamin' of Surtain...), and one "Closer" pass-rusher. Someone who outclasses most O-Lineman and actually gets to the QB faster than anyone we have. (Dreamin' of Maxx Crosby...).

Since we're (I am) dreaming if we think we can get Surtain and/or Crosby... how do we get something just like them?

Because to match up with the top tier (again, no panic attack here); IMO, we need a couple more top-level playmakers on defense.

These aren't overreactions. They are simple facts.

Edited by 1984Echoes

I would love either of those guys (Crosby or Surtain) although I don't want to give up the farm for them.  I think the Lions are in a unique situation where they are young and will compete for a while.  This is where Holmes will have his biggest decisions.  He needs to figure out if a trade for one of them (or someone we didn't even know was available) makes them a top 3 team. 

I am wondering if anyone in the organization is also thinking the draft is in Detroit next year and they don't want to give up a first round pick.  Just a thought.  I am sure they are more interested in winning the Superbowl although it is interesting that the draft is in Detroit next year.

Postmortem, I don’t know if any substantial conclusions can be made from this game. It was such a dud from beginning to end and was unlike any game we’ve played this season. Credit where credit is due, the Ravens came to play, but sheesh were the Lions bad.

Charles Harris was a healthy scratch, which I thought was very interesting. We heard all off-season about how they trusted him, how he was their guy, and then he came out week one as a captain. He’s done next to nothing since, and is now a healthy scratch by week seven.

I would like to get Maxx Crosby if he can be had. He’s such a cultural fit, a hometown guy, and his contract is such that it wouldn’t impact our ability to sign our homegrown core. I think he could be the James Houston addition we got last year that totally reinvented our defense. I don’t really want to give up a 1st, but with where it’s projected to be, I could live with giving one away for someone who would perform immediately like Crosby.

I don’t think it’s realistic to get a top defensive back too. I’m also not sure it’s necessary. The defense has been strong, notwithstanding Baltimore. Maybe grab some unexciting depth, so Will Harris is not put into a position where he’s starting, but can rotate with someone else at most. But otherwise I think we are okay.

To Lions: EDGE Maxx Crosby, DB Amik Robertson

To Raiders: EDGE Julian Okwara, 2024 1st, 2024 4th, 2025 4th

If they do something...it should be a move to create more consistent pressure/pass rush.  As good as Hutch is, he still gets shutout and we don't have another body that can pickup.  Having a rush on both sides of the line will help other areas of the D.  Give almost ANY NFL QB time and he will complete passes.   

18 hours ago, buddha said:

it was one game.  they'll be ok.

but to compete against the best in the playoffs they need playmakers.  they dont have enough right now.  

Jalen Carter, at least very early on in his career, looks like a he could be a defensive playmaker or someone who will develop into one. He's got the interior pass rush presence that we needed. Gibbs looks alright thus far, not terrible by any means, but no one special, worthy of a top 10 pick.