Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Do y’all still consider it “the Ford family” with regard to ownership?  I don’t. It’s one person.  Sheila is listed as chairman and principal owner. 

only because we don't know what kind of internal financial/legal obligations the family members may have to each other that don't show up in something like the team ownership statements.

She is clearly in charge of the team operations and from the team's perspective that is all that matters.

Interesting how the generational gender bias worked out in the family. It would appear the old man just assumed his *son* would take over the team, while his son didn't really care about it but Mom knew that daughter did. 

Edited by gehringer_2

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

only because we don't know what kind of internal financial/legal obligations the family members may have to each other that don't show up in something like the team ownership statements.

She is clearly in charge of the team operations and from the team's perspective that is all that matters.

Interesting how the generational gender bias worked out in the family. It would appear the old man just assumed his *son* would take over the team, while his son didn't really care about it but Mom knew that daughter did. 

There’s a certain justice there in my mind.  Going back to the automotive world and what the wives and daughters were supposed to do.  

I thiught the team is Martha’s 100%. 

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

I thiught the team is Martha’s 100%

We may find out what encumbrances there are when Martha passes. They say Bill Ford does do an effective job riding herd on the family  - I'd be surprised if they don't have it figured out.

Loose canons were more the risk in the Ilitch family, which I suppose is why Mike put the Tigers into  trust.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The roster moves the Lions are making are a bit odd. I'm guessing this is to get Cabinda to the practice squad.

yeah - same with Schofield. According the transaction log, they elevated him at the end of Nov, waived him after his three games and now are putting him back on the practice squad. Probably too risky to waive Badgley so they have to sign him.

8 hours ago, oblong said:

There’s a certain justice there in my mind.  Going back to the automotive world and what the wives and daughters were supposed to do.  

I thiught the team is Martha’s 100%. 

Ownership

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/front-office-roster/

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The rumor always was that William Clay Ford was the “Fredo” of the family, and instead of shipping him to Vegas, they gave him the Lions to keep him away from the car company.

It wasn't just a rumor. Henry II didn't trust his brother to do anything serious. IIRC his job at FoMoCo was 'Treasurer', which is a non-policy job (and probably no direct reports) in the average org.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The rumor always was that William Clay Ford was the “Fredo” of the family, and instead of shipping him to Vegas, they gave him the Lions to keep him away from the car company.

It makes sense from a money-making standpoint. For the last 60 years, the Lions have been passive income even when terrible. I’m sure the margins are astronomical now that they’re good, but they were never losing money for the family.

Oh giants.  Get into a good position, then they spike it on 1st down only to call a run play on 2nd down and lose 2 yards.  Then they throw an incomplete pass on 3rd down to force a 54 yard FG attempt. Wasn’t even close.  Rams win.  Not sure what the giants were doing. 

Crap, really wanted the Rams to lose, push them down to #7 seed or even out. Away from the Lions. You have a 1st down at the 35 with plenty of time, you’ve got to do better than a 54 yard FG attempt. Could have run a normal play on 1st down and spiked it on a later down if necessary. 

Edited by lordstanley