Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Nothing concrete, but there is plenty of smoke. His dad talking about ownership of a team, him painting "F*** UTAH" on his fingernails, him refusing media contact after a loss to UCLA, him making comments like this when he does talk to the media...

These "God's gift to football" QB prospects seem to hit the draft once every five years or so. While some obviously hit and are the generational talents they were hyped up to be (John Elway, Peyton Manning), it seems like a pretty standard proportion don't meet nearly those expectations set for them (Trevor Lawrence, Andrew Luck).

A lot of it depends on which team drafts them and what situation they go to.   If the Lions draft Tom Brady, would anyone outside of Michigan fans know who he is?   

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

A lot of it depends on which team drafts them and what situation they go to.   If the Lions draft Tom Brady, would anyone outside of Michigan fans know who he is?   

No doubt. I'm not sure what franchise is in position to take him that would use him wisely. The Bears have Kmet and Moore, but would need to reinvent what's been working in order for them to maintain success with Williams - plus it's never happened in Chicago with any quarterback, and Eberflus would be entering Williams' rookie season on the hot seat... The Patriots and Commanders have nothing to speak of on offense. Maybe the Falcons if they ship Arthur Smith out of town and hired an offensive mind (Ben Johnson?) who knew how to use Kyle Pitts and Bijan Robinson? That would take lots of draft capital though too.

My reservation about Williams would be around the fact that USC wasn't better. *Generally*, an NFL  all-pro caliber QB is such a huge advantage to an NCAA team they can't help but be pretty dominant if the team has any kind of overall talent level at all. Maybe USC was just that bad, but that would be my issue. Even Brady, who no-one thought was that good at the time, finished his senior season leading the #5 ranked team in the country.

Off the charts physical talent is no guarantee in the NFL where being able to think the game fast is more important than any physical skill.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Maybe they’ll flip the first pick for another haul and keep Fields. 

If they use the 1st pick on Caleb....

Does anyone think there's a team out there desperate enough to throw a future 1st at the Bears for Fields? (Maybe not even a 2024 but a 2025...?)

I'm talking Jets (long-term solution after Rodgers, and at the very least a "season savior" if Rodgers goes down again...), Raiders? Broncos? Anyone else...?

17 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Does anyone think there's a team out there desperate enough to throw a future 1st at the Bears for Fields? (Maybe not even a 2024 but a 2025...?)

I'm talking Jets (long-term solution after Rodgers, and at the very least a "season savior" if Rodgers goes down again...), Raiders? Broncos? Anyone else...?

I could see the Falcons doing it. But I’m higher on JF than most. I think over the next five years he’ll be a top 10 qb.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

atlanta is the team to watch.

33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is comical. I didn’t make it past them cropping the video from revealing the referee acknowledging Decker.

I would love to see Rod Wood release our own passive aggressive video memo as a reminder to all referees to ensure they know what number is reporting as eligible.

🤡

Even in this ridiculous prop of a video, where he puts on a freshly provided Lions hat, wears blue, and recites Lions history…… he never admits that Brad Allen ****ed it up.

Note: I haven’t found this anywhere but this random Twitter profile. Might be fake. But it’s a good fake if it’s fake. Looks and sounds just like him.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I noticed today all the NFL insiders like Schefter and Florio are starting to carry water for the league. The gaslighting by the league has been something else. 

They know where their bread is buttered. Schefter can't start straying from the company line or all those sources of his will go find someone who will.

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I noticed today all the NFL insiders like Schefter and Florio are starting to carry water for the league. The gaslighting by the league has been something else. 

Schefter is a shill and Florio is a known Lions hater so nothing more to see here.

In any event, I just have a hard time caring about the screwjob anymore. What's done is done and nothing is going to change with the league (and it's not just the Lions, bad reffing has screwed a lot of teams) so.... on to Minnesota.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Schefter is a shill and Florio is a known Lions hater so nothing more to see here.

In any event, I just have a hard time caring about the screwjob anymore. What's done is done and nothing is going to change with the league (and it's not just the Lions, bad reffing has screwed a lot of teams) so.... on to Minnesota.

I don't hate Florio like others, but I don't think he's a Lions hater. He's a Vikings fan which colors his opinion of the Lions. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

This one is less surprising to me than Buggs. Irvin was always a temporary stopgap. He was good for that one sack though, which was great fodder for us to yell at the Okwaras and Harris with. "Old Man Winter gets signed and is immediately productive across from Hutch, while you're all here for an entire season and nothing"