Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

I also don't like when important games are played in absolute **** weather. I get that football is an outdoor sport and weather is part of the equation but I think there has to be some extent to it.

I think back to that Philly game we played like 10 yrs ago, imagine something like that deciding a conference championship? Like how could you possibly tell who the real better team when you play in weather like that?

Edited by RandyMarsh

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Belichick is having a 2nd interview with Atlanta. They really are going to botch this. They have all that offensive talent and just need to develop a QB and are going to hire a 70 year old defensive coach. 

They haven’t botched it yet.   That will happen when they trade the top 10 pick for Justin Fields. 

32 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Only a white dude can be so mediocre and get so many chances to prove he sucks at his job.

Exactly. I thought Lincoln Riley was suppose to get the most out of CW? Oh wait CW Daddy prolly said only way my boy goes to Da Bears is if you hire KK....

On 1/18/2024 at 3:07 PM, ben9753 said:

Only a white dude can be so mediocre and get so many chances to prove he sucks at his job.

Meanwhile Steve Wilks gets only 1 year in Arizona, with a lousy rookie QB and is booted (for the white guy you're talking about) then takes over a Carolina team who had traded their best players and he made them competitive.    

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Meanwhile Steve Wilks gets only 1 year in Arizona, with a lousy rookie QB and is booted (for the white guy you're talking about) then takes over a Carolina team who had traded their best players and he made them competitive.    

frank reich also got booted after one year with a rookie qb.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

frank reich also got booted after one year with a rookie qb.

same owner that didn't re-sign Wilks.        

Does he think he's getting a high-demand coach to take that job?    He's getting someone desperate to be a Head Coach.  Who'd work for that guy in that situation?  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

same owner that didn't re-sign Wilks.        

Does he think he's getting a high-demand coach to take that job?    He's getting someone desperate to be a Head Coach.  Who'd work for that guy in that situation?  

It's still one of 32. He's not going to get Harbaugh and he probably won't get Ben Johnson, but someone out there will take it. The money difference is nothing to write off either. The average OC or DC is making $1MM per year with little guaranteed year-to-year, while the entry-level head coach is probably making north of $4MM per year, with guarantees written in.

Tepper's only hope for success though is that he stumbles into the next DeMeco Ryans, who will take an undesirable job and run with it. Texans went through four coaches in three years before hiring Ryans, and the Panthers are still less desirable than that because you'll be expected to turn water into wine with Bryce Young (or get fired) and you'll have no high draft picks this year to do it, surrounded by a 2-15 team. 

Whoever is selected should insist on a long deal with a lot of guaranteed money. If they move on after a year because Bryce Young still sucks, you should be set for life money-wise.

23 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It's still one of 32. He's not going to get Harbaugh and he probably won't get Ben Johnson, but someone out there will take it. The money difference is nothing to write off either. The average OC or DC is making $1MM per year with little guaranteed year-to-year, while the entry-level head coach is probably making north of $4MM per year, with guarantees written in.

Tepper's only hope for success though is that he stumbles into the next DeMeco Ryans, who will take an undesirable job and run with it. Texans went through four coaches in three years before hiring Ryans, and the Panthers are still less desirable than that because you'll be expected to turn water into wine with Bryce Young (or get fired) and you'll have no high draft picks this year to do it, surrounded by a 2-15 team. 

Whoever is selected should insist on a long deal with a lot of guaranteed money. If they move on after a year because Bryce Young still sucks, you should be set for life money-wise.

Maybe this is Matt Patricia's' road to redemption.   LOL.    I feel like THAT'S the kind of guy Tepper's going to end up with. 

Norv Turner busy? 

9 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

so is Carolina the worst job/ franchise in the NFL?

I think so.     Very impatient owner.   Revolving Door for coaches, no draft capital this year.   A young QB that may have been damaged by being thrown to the wolves (I think if Bryce Young was drafted by a better team and allowed to even sit for a year like Mahomes, then he could have been good, but I think  they might have broken him).    That team's a mess.    

Last year Wilks went 6-6 with that mess and came close to making the playoffs (weak division).  They bounced him for Frank Reich, who couldn't get the Colts going just the year before.  The very definition of a retread.    I could understand sacking Wilks if you could get some sort of "Win the Press Conference"  Head Coach.  Someone that could at least inspire ticket sales, but Frank Reich?   

Rich Bisaccia got axed in Vegas after taking that mess of a team (coach resigned in shame, young star player killed someone), because Mark Davis wanted to make a big splash.   (There is also a rumor that the Raiders thought getting Josh McDaniels meant getting Tom Brady and that's the real reason for the move).   If you get an interim Head Coach who stabilizes a team in shambles, you should give them the chance to make it for real.    You can't tell me that the Lions wouldn't have been better off keepin Gary Moeller than hiring Marty Morningwheg.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Yeah things can change fast but as of right now I don't see a worse spot than Carolina. Of course if they can turn Young around and nail a draft or two then things can totally change but being without a 1st this year and 2nd next that is going to be tough. 

17 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

so is Carolina the worst job/ franchise in the NFL?

365 days from now it might not be so bad. If Young is as bad as he looked this year, they'll be ready to move on and with a high draft pick to do so. But if that comes to fruition, it's likely whoever is hired this cycle will be a one-and-done again.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah things can change fast but as of right now I don't see a worse spot than Carolina. Of course if they can turn Young around and nail a draft or two then things can totally change but being without a 1st this year and 2nd next that is going to be tough. 

Yeah, it can turn around if the owner gets out of the way, but I don't think he can.    And besides, I think once you Humpty Dumpty a young QB, well..........you know how Humpty Dumpty ends.        (Sam Darnold, Zack Wilson are good examples - might have been good on a decent team, but that's the rub,  decent teams usually don't need to draft QBs)  Green Bay handles drafting QBs perfectly.  Draft a decent QB with big potential when you're still an okay team and let them marinate for a couple years.  I think that's what the Lions were thinking with Hendon Hooker. 

51 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id also throw the Patriots into that discussion as well, there's not a lot to like about that team either unless you're a believer in one of the non Caleb/Maye QBs in this draft. 

Another Michigan QB to the Pat's rescue!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe this is Matt Patricia's' road to redemption.   LOL.    I feel like THAT'S the kind of guy Tepper's going to end up with. 

Norv Turner busy? 

Jim Schwartz deserves a second chance before Patricia does...

IMO.

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Jim Schwartz deserves a second chance before Patricia does...

IMO.

He does.   I am thinking he has an outside shot at the Tennessee job.   

Schwartz did well here at first.  He was the perfect guy/attitude to take over a team that had hit the bottom.   So in that regard, he could bring that type of attitude to Carolina.      To me Schwartz as a Head Coach gets you back to a level where you can dream of being good again, but not the guy that gets you over the top.   I am sure he mellowed with age (and some time away from football), but if he's anywhere near as volatile (personality-wise) as he was here, then he and Tepper would not be a good mix.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics