Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id also throw the Patriots into that discussion as well, there's not a lot to like about that team either unless you're a believer in one of the non Caleb/Maye QBs in this draft. 

I don't know. Any coach who follows Bill Belichick will have to put up with all the comparisons that are sure to follow. It will take a really thick skin to deal with all the fans and media.

27 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't know. Any coach who follows Bill Belichick will have to put up with all the comparisons that are sure to follow. It will take a really thick skin to deal with all the fans and media.

Which is why Frank Beckman turned down the Tigers play-by-play job when Ernie was fired.  He knew the next guy would get dumped on and he'd get his chance pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

same owner that didn't re-sign Wilks.        

Does he think he's getting a high-demand coach to take that job?    He's getting someone desperate to be a Head Coach.  Who'd work for that guy in that situation?  

i think it has nothing to do with wilks being black.  as we know in detroit, having a competent owner can do wonders for a franchise.  not having a competent owner gets you russ thomas.

39 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think it has nothing to do with wilks being black.  as we know in detroit, having a competent owner can do wonders for a franchise.  not having a competent owner gets you russ thomas.

WCF was always hands off though. People wondered if he really cared or not. Allowing a team to be so bad for so long isn't a good thing. The opposite of Jerry Jones.

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

WCF was always hands off though. People wondered if he really cared or not. Allowing a team to be so bad for so long isn't a good thing. The opposite of Jerry Jones.

I wonder if this season’s success will mean they finally take the WCF off the sleeves. Probably not.

47 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

For the first couple of decades - mostly when Russ Thomas ran the team - they were never good but they mostly weren't horrible either - they were around 500 most seasons with some up and down around that. As bad as Thomas was it was after he retired that WCF brought in a lot of even more incompetent people and things got generally worse, culminating with Millen.

I wonder if this season’s success will mean they finally take the WCF off the sleeves. Probably not.

maybe Sheila will have them trade WCF for MFF when Martha passes.

Edited by gehringer_2

Green Bay losing to SF would mean the NFC Championship game at Ford Field after we beat Tampa. But do we really want Love to advance? I don't want him to have any confidence going into next season. I did hear Green Bay needs to extend his contract. I hope they overpay him and then he comes back to earth. 😅

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Green Bay losing to SF would mean the NFC Championship game at Ford Field after we beat Tampa. But do we really want Love to advance? I don't want him to have any confidence going into next season. I did hear Green Bay needs to extend his contract. I hope they overpay him and then he comes back to earth. 😅

If Green Bay hands Dallas their ass on a platter in Jerry World, and then goes into SF and takes out the 49ers, I would be not be eager to be the team to play them next.

11 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I like the Lions chances at home against GB more than I do against SF on the road. Both will be tough, but the conference championship game is supposed to be tough.

Yeah  - no matter how you get there it will be a lot of work put in for the chance to get spanked by the Ravens.....🤔

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If Green Bay hands Dallas their ass on a platter in Jerry World, and then goes into SF and takes out the 49ers, I would be not be eager to be the team to play them next.

I’m cheering for a GB victory because it is still a better matchup for the Lions than SF on the road, IMO.  However, there is a bright side if the Niners win. I was able to book a direct 2.5 hour flight from Vancouver to San Francisco for next Sunday morning for $250 and a room at the airport Westin for next Sunday night for $165. Just need the Lions to win and then pay up for a ticket.  

Edited by lordstanley

If Jordan Love is ‘on’ (which admittedly is a big if), I actually think SF is a better matchup for us, home or away.

Purdy is less likely to be able to take advantage of our secondary. Not that he can’t, but SF’s offense is predicated on the run game, their offensive line, and the short to intermediate passing game between CMC, Aiyuk, Deebo, and Kittle. Which is what the Lions typically are able to stop on defense. It’s not all that dissimilar to our offense, except with Gibbs, ASB, Jamo, and LaPorta.

Whereas Love, when he’s good, has no qualms about airing it out 50 yards downfield to an open receiver who’s got 5 yards separation from Vildor.

I will say - if you add to the equation that it’s pouring rain in SF, like it’s supposed to today, that might change my calculus. I do think it’s important that the playing conditions be favorable if the game is not played indoors.

The forecast for Santa Clara next Sunday is 68 and partly cloudy, which - you might as well be indoors it’s so nice.