Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Considering they haven't made an announcement yet and they both been linked to them I'm pretty certain one of Johnson or Glenn is getting the Washington job(probably Johnson) unless something major changes. Vrabel seems like a fit in Seattle but I really haven't been keeping that close of eye on it. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Considering they haven't made an announcement yet and they both been linked to them I'm pretty certain one of Johnson or Glenn is getting the Washington job(probably Johnson) unless something major changes. Vrabel seems like a fit in Seattle but I really haven't been keeping that close of eye on it. 

I wouldn't count out Dan Quinn from either of those jobs. He's gotten second interviews in both spots. I do think Ben Johnson should be considered the favorite for the Washington job, and Vegas agrees. He's -225 for Washington.

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn't count out Dan Quinn from either of those jobs. He's gotten second interviews in both spots. I do think Ben Johnson should be considered the favorite for the Washington job, and Vegas agrees. He's -225 for Washington.

i believe quinn has interviewed three times in washington.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:25 PM, Sports_Freak said:

50 million $$ per year to extend Goff? Hello, Hooker...can you give us the same production for less money?

You really think it's that easy to do what Goff has done the last year and a half especially? 

I'm curious, how much do you think Goff should be paid keeping in mind that he's been a borderline top 5 QB in many passing categories and has been excellent down the playoff stretch drive? Also keeping in mind that the QB market dictates that Daniel Jones is worth $40m in what was a less inflated cap environment.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Washington is drafting a QB at #2 in all likelihood so it's more than likely to be Johnson or some other offensive minded guy IMO. Glenn will be a Lion next season and I'm fine with it, I think he's done pretty well with this defense considering the hand he's been dealt with a ton of youth and key injuries.

Edited by NYLion

7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

You really think it's that easy to do what Goff has done the last year and a half especially? 

I'm curious, how much do you think Goff should be paid keeping in mind that he's been a borderline top 5 QB in many passing categories and has been excellent down the playoff stretch drive? Also keeping in mind that the QB market dictates that Daniel Jones is worth $40m in what was a less inflated cap environment.

Yeah but how much of that top 5 success is really Sean McVay and Todd Gurley? 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah but how much of that top 5 success is really Sean McVay and Todd Gurley? 

Neither, it's all due to Ben Johnson who is leaving soon so.... Time to usher in the Hooker era. 

7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't know. Will Goff be as good without the play calling from Johnson? And just because somebody gave Daniel Jones an undeserved contract doesn't mean that set the price for others. Green Bay has to extend Love, I would pay Goff 50 million $$ a season before I did Love. I just want the Lions to win every season, if a contract for one player means we have to neglect several other positions, I would think long and hard about it.

You wonder what would Johnson could do with another similarly skilled QB in this offense. Like say Mac Jones or David Carr. I think Goff's accuracy and his QB processor speed would separate him from guys like that.

The potential for taking a chance on a guy like that to save cap space would not be worth it. If the Lions did let Goff go and their handpicked replacemant failed it would burn up all of the fan support they have now.

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

We can always hope that Goff would rather be Brady (most rings) than Burrow (most $)  😇

The thing is, Goff already has a big contract. When you look at someone like Herbert, his cap number this year was $8 million and will be $57 million by 2027. That's a $50 million increase. Goff's cap number is already $30 million. Going up to $50 million wouldn't be as much of a shock as going from a rookie contract to $50 million. 

Goff has elite skills. He's not going to run, or create, or throw from crazy arm angles. He is, however, one of the best in the league off play action, among the best in the league at throwing over the middle, and one of the best in the league when he has a clean pocket. Not just good, best in the league good. 

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't know. Will Goff be as good without the play calling from Johnson? And just because somebody gave Daniel Jones an undeserved contract doesn't mean that set the price for others. Green Bay has to extend Love, I would pay Goff 50 million $$ a season before I did Love. I just want the Lions to win every season, if a contract for one player means we have to neglect several other positions, I would think long and hard about it.

I don't see why not. Goff was great at Cal without Ben Johnson and was a 2 time Pro Bowler with the Rams without Ben Johnson so maybe he's just.... good. 

Contracts like the Jones one matter because it sets a market. The most recent comparables are Watson at 46m, Murray at 46m,  Wilson at 49m then Hurts at 51m and all those contracts are beginning in a lower cap world so where does Goff fit in that range considering that he's been better than the prior 3 and while Hurts had an MVP runner up to this credit, Goff is getting paid in a more inflated market. I do think $50m is probably the ceiling of what his contract looks like but I do think it'll be closer to 50 than 45. Plus there's ways to structure the contract where some of the money gets deferred to later years so the Lions have a little more flexibility in the short term. 50m would only really be a 15m bump from this current salary in worst case scenario so it's not really that much more of a strain on the cap, relatively, unlike players coming off of rookie deals. 50m would make him the 6th highest paid QB, 7 if you include Erin and this is before the new wave of contracts kick in. Seems fair to me. I mean, Stafford was the highest paid QB in the entire league for doing less than Goff until he wasn't anymore.

Seriously though, what are the Lions going to do? Penny pinch their franchise QB that took them on a Superbowl run and played a big part in it? Just pay the man. 

Edited by NYLion

It amazes how anybody would even contemplate letting Goff go, who cares about the money if you got to cut corners else where so be it once you find a plus QB you don't let that guy go. Is Goff perfect? No, but very few QBs are and almost all need help around them to succeed. 

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

I don't see why not. Goff was great at Cal without Ben Johnson and was a 2 time Pro Bowler with the Rams without Ben Johnson so maybe he's just good. 

Contracts like the Jones one matter because it sets a market. The most recent comparables are Watson at 46m, Murray at 46m,  Wilson at 49m then Hurts at 51m and all those contracts are beginning in a lower cap world so where does Goff fit in that range considering that he's been better than the prior 3 and while Hurts had an MVP runner up to this credit, Goff is getting paid in a more inflated market. I do think $50m is probably the ceiling of what his contract looks like but I do think it'll be closer to 50 than 45. Plus there's ways to structure the contract where some of the money gets deferred to later years so the Lions have a little more flexibility in the short term. 50m would only really be a 15m bump from this current salary in worst case scenario so it's not really that much more of a strain on the cap, relatively, unlike players coming off of rookie deals.

But it's also the number of years. It probably would be cheaper to extend him this season than it would be after his contract runs out next year. So say it's 50 million $$ a year? 200 million $$ for 4 years? That just sounds so crazy high. 250 million $$ for 5 years? Gulp...that money is pretty insane...

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't see why not. Goff was great at Cal without Ben Johnson and was a 2 time Pro Bowler with the Rams without Ben Johnson so maybe he's just.... good. 

Contracts like the Jones one matter because it sets a market. The most recent comparables are Watson at 46m, Murray at 46m,  Wilson at 49m then Hurts at 51m and all those contracts are beginning in a lower cap world so where does Goff fit in that range considering that he's been better than the prior 3 and while Hurts had an MVP runner up to this credit, Goff is getting paid in a more inflated market. I do think $50m is probably the ceiling of what his contract looks like but I do think it'll be closer to 50 than 45. Plus there's ways to structure the contract where some of the money gets deferred to later years so the Lions have a little more flexibility in the short term. 50m would only really be a 15m bump from this current salary in worst case scenario so it's not really that much more of a strain on the cap, relatively, unlike players coming off of rookie deals. 50m would make him the 6th highest paid QB, 7 if you include Erin and this is before the new wave of contracts kick in. Seems fair to me. I mean, Stafford was the highest paid QB in the entire league for doing less than Goff until he wasn't anymore.

Seriously though, what are the Lions going to do? Penny pinch their franchise QB that took them on a Superbowl run and played a big part in it? Just pay the man. 

Goff is also older than those QBs. Goff will be 30 next year so that may factor into the cost. I want to see what happens with Dak. That seems like the best comp. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It amazes how anybody would even contemplate letting Goff go, who cares about the money if you got to cut corners else where so be it once you find a plus QB you don't let that guy go. Is Goff perfect? No, but very few QBs are and almost all need help around them to succeed. 

All need help around them but you're willing to cut corners elsewhere? Like...receiver, offensive line and on defense? The reason Goff is so good is having very good teammates around him. Take them away and he wouldn't be an above average QB. Sign everyone...lol

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But it's also the number of years. It probably would be cheaper to extend him this season than it would be after his contract runs out next year. So say it's 50 million $$ a year? 200 million $$ for 4 years? That just sounds so crazy high. 250 million $$ for 5 years? Gulp...that money is pretty insane...

He's only 29 years old. And even if the worst case scenario happens and he completely flames out and turns into a pumpkin well then you eat the cost and draft a QB on a rookie contract and he turns into an expensive backup. It's not a total franchise killer and again we're talking about the worst case scenario. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff is also older than those QBs. Goff will be 30 next year so that may factor into the cost. I want to see what happens with Dak. That seems like the best comp. 

Yeah, Dak will set a good benchmark for a Goff contract. I think he gets $50m+ for sure, 4 years $200m minimum for Dak.

1 minute ago, Stanley70 said:

I think there is virtually no chance the Lions don't pay Goff. The risk is just not worth it now that they are actually a superbowl contender, with him playing as well as he has.

Especially with fans chanting his name....at a hockey game!!! 😆😆

The most important part of the QB’s job, by far, is done before the play. The outcomes we see from the plays themselves are entirely derivative of what is done before the play.

As fans we have zero understanding of what the QB job requires before the snap, beyond the very basic elements of communicating play calls, identifying defenses, setting protections, calling audibles, and managing game situations.

So, OK, Hendon Hooker can run around back there and whip the ball around a bit. Let me know when he is ready to manage an offense pre-snap so efficiently that he can achieve an 80% completion percentage in a playoff game.