Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

He's only 29 years old. And even if the worst case scenario happens and he completely flames out and turns into a pumpkin well then you eat the cost and draft a QB on a rookie contract and he turns into an expensive backup. It's not a total franchise killer and again we're talking about the worst case scenario. 

I don't really know much about the salary cap but 50 million $$ has to affect a team's ability to sign other quality players. A backup making that much could probably cripple a team if it isn't structured properly. But that's the risk a team needs to take and I'm all for extending him. It's just that kind of money blows my mind...

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

All need help around them but you're willing to cut corners elsewhere? Like...receiver, offensive line and on defense? The reason Goff is so good is having very good teammates around him. Take them away and he wouldn't be an above average QB. Sign everyone...lol

Yeah perhaps on a WR or any number of positions. The Lions are paying Romeo Okwara, Charles Harris, Tracey Walker, Vaitai and Mosely a combined 25 million. That's what I mean by cutting corners, you may not beable to sign a bunch of veterans but so be it, draft well and fill those spots with young cheaper players. 

13 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Plus there's ways to structure the contract where some of the money gets deferred to later years so the Lions have a little more flexibility in the short term.

or the opposite. The Lions are a young team with cap space now - you might want to front load a contract to Goff. But the point holds either way, contract value and cap hit can be managed not to be one to one.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

It likely wouldn't even be $50 million right away. Hurts cap hit in 2024 is $13 million. There's a good chance if Goff signs a new deal his cap hit would be lower in 2024 than it is now. 

That would make it more bearable. I remember when Stafford got extended at 25 million a year. Bradshaw was hating on him for wearing his hat backward while sitting on the bench. Sour grapes from an old man who never made life altering money while leading a team to multiple championships, at least, IMO.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

That would make it more bearable. I remember when Stafford got extended at 25 million a year. Bradshaw was hating on him for wearing his hat backward while sitting on the bench. Sour grapes from an old man who never made life altering money while leading a team to multiple championships, at least, IMO.

Hurts has a unique contract in that they will pay dearly at the end for the cap space today. The Eagles tacked on 4 void years to his contract. If Hurts doesn't sign a new deal, the Eagles would have a $97 million cap hit when he isn't even on the team. There are ways to manipulate the cap and I doubt Goff's cap hit would be an even $50 million each year. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hendon Hooker hasn't even taken a pre-season snap. There really hasn't been a lot for the Lions to evaluate. 

Didn't they use a 3rd round pick on him? Either they wasted that pick on a player who never plays for them or their original plan was to have him play QB after Goff's contract expired. But then the Lions started winning and the fans started chanting his name anywhere they gathered. The Lions plans may have changed with their 2023/4 success.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

or the opposite. The Lions are a young team with cap space now - you might want to front load a contract to Goff. But the point holds either way, contract value and cap hit can be managed not to be one to one.

I think deferring it to later years is the way to go because the cap is almost certain to be a lot higher during the second half of the contract so the higher caphit can be absorbed easier plus winning windows are generally limited in the NFL so if you have a chance to create short term flexibility at the expense of a little more long term pain, it's probably the smart move. This is why you see a lot of teams backload contracts.

Either way, pay the man.

Edited by NYLion

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hurts has a unique contract in that they will pay dearly at the end for the cap space today. The Eagles tacked on 4 void years to his contract. If Hurts doesn't sign a new deal, the Eagles would have a $97 million cap hit when he isn't even on the team. There are ways to manipulate the cap and I doubt Goff's cap hit would be an even $50 million each year. 

Yeah, teams employ a whole crew of attorneys and accountants that are experts in manipulating the salary cap. I just really don't want to neglect several other positions because we have to pay one position. It's kinda scary...

Didn't they use a 3rd round pick on him? Either they wasted that pick on a player who never plays for them or their original plan was to have him play QB after Goff's contract expired. But then the Lions started winning and the fans started chanting his name anywhere they gathered. The Lions plans may have changed with their 2023/4 success.

I've come around on drafting QBs in the middle round when you have a starter already in place. The backup QB spot is probably set for the next 3 years with a young-ish QB you can mold in your system. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

according to Sportrac, Mahomes has void years of $60M *each* in '32 and '33!

Yeah, teams employ a whole crew of attorneys and accountants that are experts in manipulating the salary cap. I just really don't want to neglect several other positions because we have to pay one position. It's kinda scary...

You really don't have to neglect a bunch of positions unless you are a terrible drafting team that depends solely on free agency to build a team.  Aside from the 49ers and to some extent us at the moment every top team has an expensive QB yet they have no problem fielding quality players all over the field. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

It amazes how anybody would even contemplate letting Goff go, who cares about the money if you got to cut corners else where so be it once you find a plus QB you don't let that guy go. Is Goff perfect? No, but very few QBs are and almost all need help around them to succeed. 

The critical issue is that Holmes is effective at drafting. Other guys (vets at other positions) can be let go and "next man up" is a rookie or 3rd year guy that Holmes drafted and Dan Campbell and his coaching team have coached up.

It's OK to let go of an expensive player and go to the next guy.

But I don't do that at QB. Unless Hooker is the "next coming of..." and is clearly better than Goff; which we won't know for a at least a couple years or so... or Goff has become ineffective/ undependable due to age/ injury, neither of which is true.

So find other positions to get saving$ from and rely on Holmes to fill the pipeline.

And so... pay the man. There's no other reasonable/ better/ smarter choice. 

He's our QB. So... pay the man.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've come around on drafting QBs in the middle round when you have a starter already in place. The backup QB spot is probably set for the next 3 years with a young-ish QB you can mold in your system. 

This.

(Quite a change from our last conversation on Hooker...)

I don't remember anyone acting like Glenn is a genius. Most of us understand that he hasn't been given the same level of talent as the offense, but at the same time I don't think any of us are ready to call him genius or laud him as a great coordinator.

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Commanders hired Dan Quinn as their head coach?    After that last playoff game vs. Green Bay?     Wow.   Re-tread City, man.   Maybe it wasn't just Dan Snyder.   They'll go nowhere

The Commanders are almost certainly drafting a young QB. Why they wouldn't hire an offensive-minded head coach is beyond me. Quinn had success in Atlanta but failed to do much of anything in a weak AFC South after his wiz kid OC Kyle Shanahan left for San Francisco. This was a lousy hire and the wrong direction for the Commanders to take. I would have promoted Eric Bieniemy to see what he can do before going with a retread like Dan Quinn. It seems like they may have gotten desperate after missing out on Ben Johnson and just settled on Quinn.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I don't remember anyone acting like Glenn is a genius. Most of us understand that he hasn't been given the same level of talent as the offense, but at the same time I don't think any of us are ready to call him genius or laud him as a great coordinator.

I believe Glenn is being lauded mostly as a "leader of men", "future head coach", "coaches the guys up brilliantly", and not so much as an X's and O's genius. 

But still... I am seeing him adapt to the Lions defense's weaknesses, in my opinion, quite brilliantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1