Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

5 minutes ago, number20 said:

If so he's done for the year

Never mind the season, this might be the end of his career. If it's a full rupture, at his age, even an aggressive rehab timeline probably doesn't guarantee him being 100% by 2024 training camp.... I don't know if that's worth it for him at this point.

So does he go into Canton as a Packer or as a Jet? Too soon?

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Never mind the season, this might be the end of his career. If it's a full rupture, at his age, even an aggressive rehab timeline probably doesn't guarantee him being 100% by 2024 training camp.... I don't know if that's worth it for him at this point.

So does he go into Canton as a Packer or as a Jet? Too soon?

Maybe the witch doctors will cast a spell that will heal him

9 hours ago, number20 said:

So does Green Bay's conditional 2nd round pick next year become a 1st?

The reverse.  Packers have the Jets' 2nd round pick in 2024, but if Rodgers plays 60% of the snaps for the Jets then the Packers get the Jet's 1st round pick instead.  So this is good news for the Lions.

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He can't manage a clock to save his life. He had a 4th and 1 tied at 13 with 2:10 left on the Bills 20 and went for it instead of going up 3... Worked out, in the sense they gained a yard on a QB sneak, they then had to kick basically the same field goal when they didn't gain a yard on the next series.

And then twice on the Bills last possession, he called timeouts that helped the Bills. I think he saved them from a delay of game on one of them.

Reminded me of his gross clock mismanagement against the Lions last season.

Hold up, what?  The obvious goal was to get the first and then bleed all the time possible off the clock before kicking the field goal, or if things go good, scoring a TD.  Of course they are going to be conservative when they have Wilson at QB. If they start throwing the ball, that only allows the Bills to save a timeout or two.  What we saw last night is exactly what almost every other coach would have done in that situation. 

Edited by MIguy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Which New York team has had a more disastrous start to the season so far? Giants or Jets?

Jets. Their season is toast if they lose Rodgers for the rest of the year. Zac Wilson has never shown he can be a capable NFL starting QB. And with that Oline the Jets having getting Rodgers killed on drive one of the season, that doesn't bode well for Wilson as he'll have little time in the pocket it seems to let plays develop and will be forcing throws.

34 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Hold up, what?  The obvious goal was to get the first and then bleed all the time possible off the clock before kicking the field goal, or if things go good, scoring a TD.  Of course they are going to be conservative when they have Wilson at QB. If they start throwing the ball, that only allows the Bills to save a timeout or two.  What we saw last night is exactly what almost every other coach would have done in that situation. 

I don't agree, and I'm a guy who usually gives the benefit of the doubt to the head coach in all timing situations.

You get gift wrapped the ball at the Buffalo 27. After three plays you are facing 4th & 1 from the Buffalo 18 with 2:50 remaining in a 13-13 game where your defense has pitched a shut out in the second half and you have Zach freaking Wilson as your QB. Never mind Josh Allen having forgotten how to pass the ball.

Kick the damn field goal and go up 3, let your defense win the game. Instead, he went for it on a QB sneak (which with Wilson easily could have failed), ultimately gained four more yards, bled only 1:02 off the clock, and still kicked the field goal... Which still allowed Buffalo to go kick a field goal to send it to OT.

If you are up in the game (like the Lions were against the Chiefs), it's a completely different story. If you don't get it, you're still up, and your defense can still win the game. Go for the throat and don't give them the ball back.

To be clear, I think he was too aggressive, not too conservative. And I'm not sure where you get the idea of throwing it from, I definitely wouldn't do that (because I wouldn't go for it on 4th down).

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't agree, and I'm a guy who usually gives the benefit of the doubt to the head coach in all timing situations.

You get gift wrapped the ball at the Buffalo 27. After three plays you are facing 4th & 1 from the Buffalo 18 with 2:50 remaining in a 13-13 game where your defense has pitched a shut out in the second half and you have Zach freaking Wilson as your QB. Never mind Josh Allen having forgotten how to pass the ball.

Kick the damn field goal and go up 3, let your defense win the game. Instead, he went for it on a QB sneak (which with Wilson easily could have failed), ultimately gained four more yards, bled only 1:02 off the clock, and still kicked the field goal... Which still allowed Buffalo to go kick a field goal to send it to OT.

If you are up in the game (like the Lions were against the Chiefs), it's a completely different story. If you don't get it, you're still up, and your defense can still win the game. Go for the throat and don't give them the ball back.

Allen drove down the field with relative ease for the game tying field goal and you think it would have been a good idea to give him an extra minute to work with?  

6 minutes ago, MIguy said:

It was 4th and 3 inches.  Those are successful probably 98% of the time.  

NFLVerse puts 4th & 1 success rates at 65% from 2013-2022.

With Zach Wilson as your QB though in a 13-13 defensive battle late in the 4th, I'm not going to chance it for what likely amounts to an extra minute of time off the clock.

It worked out, so kudos to him for that. But this isn't the first time he's made what I would characterize as very questionable decisions related to clock management.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

NFLVerse puts 4th & 1 success rates at 65% from 2013-2022.

With Zach Wilson as your QB though in a 13-13 defensive battle late in the 4th, I'm not going to chance it for what likely amounts to an extra minute of time off the clock.

It worked out, so kudos to him for that. But this isn't the first time he's made what I would characterize as very questionable decisions related to clock management.

It wasn't 4th and 1, it was 4th and a few inches.  If you can find a stat showing the success rate for QB sneaks on 4th down and literally inches, I guarantee it's a lot higher than 65%.  

17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I never understood the second coming of Jesus that Rodgers got going to NY. He was average at best last year and got pimped slapped by the Lions to send hiim packing. The media drools over him and I just don't get it. He is done now. Now he does not have to worry about "Losing to THOSE teams" anymore.

That's kinda my feeling. I mean, unless Rodgers had some nagging injury his 2022 season was a very down year for him. A healthy Rodgers is maybe a good QB for the Jets, but I don't see him being great. 

But on a side note: If this really is the end of his career, then his last completed pass in an NFL game is still to Kerby Joseph. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

To be clear, I think he was too aggressive, not too conservative. And I'm not sure where you get the idea of throwing it from, I definitely wouldn't do that (because I wouldn't go for it on 4th down).

But if he kicked the FG instead of going for it, the Bills would have had time to win the game instead of just tying it. Of course Allen could have botched it like he did all night but they moved the ball into FG position with relative ease and only got stopped by the clock. With another minute and a half to play with, they could have very well won the game on that drive.

• Like 1

I can’t remember anything quite like the Rodgers injury.  He was the number one story all offseason. The hype and media was insane. Then 4 plays in, it’s over. Just like that.

And Rodgers knew immediately. He stood up, stood there for a second and the look on his face said it all.  I knew before he even sat down his season was over.  Surreal.

And then the Jets still win? The Bills are the most overrated team in football. Goff is better than Allen.