Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

3 hours ago, buddha said:

"[jalen]Carter has been a force within the Eagles defensive line. He’s picked up 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and five total tackles (two of them for a loss) during his first three games. Carter ranks seventh in pressure percentage among 195 qualified pass rushers (minimum 36 pass rush snaps) with a 20.5 percent rate. That’s All-Pro level type pressure."

we're going to regret passing on aaron donald 2.0.

I'm quite happy with Gibbs+LaPorta but it's painful to see how dominant Carter is. Time will tell though, knuckleheads always find a way to knucklehead and by all accounts he's a supreme knucklehead so we'll see...

On another note, Swift is 2nd in league rushing. I'm fine with the trade and getting a 4th is ok value for a Swift rental but why Holmes had to trade him to Philly is beyond me. He basically giftwrapped Carter+Swift for one of the Lions main competitors. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

why are you guys relitigating the badness of the last 30 years? 

Lions fans are conditioned to be miserable, 60+ years of experience of getting let down through different generations does that to ya. Hell, there were several posters here conceding a loss to the juggernaut Falcons based on an overtime loss to a good team the prior week? I think it'll take a while for SOL to be expunged completely from Lions fans psyche. 

Personally, I'm putting SOL behind me. I've been fooled before, I bought in when they hired Mariucci (thought he was the next great coach - yikes) and in 2014 and got burned before but something about this regime is different so I'm fully bought in and am fully vulnerable to getting kicked in the nuts again if this next great hope fails.

Edited by NYLion

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Lions fans are conditioned to be miserable, 60+ years of experience of getting let down through different generations does that to ya. Hell, there were several posters here conceding a loss to the juggernaut Falcons based on an overtime loss to a good team the prior week? I think it'll take a while for SOL to be expunged completely from Lions fans psyche. 

Personally, I'm putting SOL behind me. I've been fooled before, I bought in when they hired Mariucci (thought he was the next great coach - yikes) and in 2014 and got burned before but something about this regime is different so I'm fully bought in and am fully vulnerable to getting kicked in the nuts again if this next great hope fails.

I endured most of SOL directly.  I remember sleepless nights.  I have all the scar tissue.  Matt Millen shouldn't be able to work in football after what he did to the Lions though. 

We all knew Jalen Carter could ball, I don't think it's surprising he's doing well. Three games into their rookie seasons is outrageously too early to make a call on whether Gibbs+LaPorta > Carter though. I tend to think Carter will show why the Lions weren't interested when he gets a full offseason with a rookie salary to play with, but maybe he'll prove me and them wrong.

I'm perfectly happy with Gibbs+LaPorta so far.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

We all knew Jalen Carter could ball, I don't think it's surprising he's doing well. Three games into their rookie seasons is outrageously too early to make a call on whether Gibbs+LaPorta > Carter though. I tend to think Carter will show why the Lions weren't interested when he gets a full offseason with a rookie salary to play with, but maybe he'll prove me and them wrong.

Yeah to me it's pointless to see how he plays right now in the terms of seeing if they messed up by passing on him. Like you said everybody knew he could play, it was the motivational and off the field concerns why teams passed on him. 

Those things aren't going to show up your first month in the league when you're motivated to show the world what you got. Lets see how things go come December or in year 3 or 4 of your career. 

Also he is in the perfect situation for him, is on an elite team like he was used to in college which helps with motivation, has some of the best coaches in the league and plays on the best defensive line in football and against the best o line in practice. Who knows if he would turn out to be the same player in a different environment.

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

we also dont know if they werent interested.  we know they would have rather had pick #12 and a second rounder rather than him, but they might still have been interested.

i think it was a mistake, but we shall see.  it is way too early to say one way or another.

and i understand the gibbs pick a lot more than the campbell pick.  not to re-litigate the draft...

They may have tried getting greedy and hoped that they could trade back and still get him, that way you kinda hedge yourself a bit if he does become a Nick Fairley by getting the extra pick but I personally don't think so just cause of Chicago and Philly being ahead of them and both having rumored interest in him. 

Who knows, they probably didnt foresee Atlanta taking Bijan and if he dropped to Philly they very well may have taken him over Carter leaving Jalen for the Lions. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

5 hours ago, buddha said:

"[jalen]Carter has been a force within the Eagles defensive line. He’s picked up 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and five total tackles (two of them for a loss) during his first three games. Carter ranks seventh in pressure percentage among 195 qualified pass rushers (minimum 36 pass rush snaps) with a 20.5 percent rate. That’s All-Pro level type pressure."

we're going to regret passing on aaron donald 2.0.

Well, he is playing with 3 other first rounders on that defensive line. Those guys had 70 sacks last year. Could be living off of that a little bit? (although to answer my own question, I have seen him manhandle double teams like rag dolls a couple of times this year)

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Screw it, i'll play: I'd say there was still a glimmer of hope going into Matt Millen's tenure.  

I remember the interview Bill Ford Jr. did on WDFN right after the Millen introduction press conference.   He used the words, and I kid you not,  "Towering Intellect" when speaking of MIllen.    

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember the interview Bill Ford Jr. did on WDFN right after the Millen introduction press conference.   He used the words, and I kid you not,  "Towering Intellect" when speaking of MIllen.    

that should result in me selling all Ford shares and shorting that stock until BFJ was dead. 

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'm quite happy with Gibbs+LaPorta but it's painful to see how dominant Carter is. Time will tell though, knuckleheads always find a way to knucklehead and by all accounts he's a supreme knucklehead so we'll see...

On another note, Swift is 2nd in league rushing. I'm fine with the trade and getting a 4th is ok value for a Swift rental but why Holmes had to trade him to Philly is beyond me. He basically giftwrapped Carter+Swift for one of the Lions main competitors. 

Swift started several seasons like this. He will get injured soon and will come back to earth. 

It’s tough to say three games into their careers whether Gibbs and LaPorta will be more valuable than Carter. Gibbs and LaPorta have been good and excellent, respectively, but Carter is showing signs of being an elite DT. 

I just think Holmes and Campbell rated Carter lower due to his not being enough of a knee cap biter. And maybe he will get into some trouble once he has a full offseason to himself.

That said i wanted him too. I still think DT is a big need. I wouldn't be surprised to see them address it at the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Swift started several seasons like this. He will get injured soon and will come back to earth. 

It’s tough to say three games into their careers whether Gibbs and LaPorta will be more valuable than Carter. Gibbs and LaPorta have been good and excellent, respectively, but Carter is showing signs of being an elite DT. 

Less valuable position of course but LaPorta has been just as elite as Carter through 3 games, he's setting records.Less valuable position of course but LaPorta has been just as elite as Carter through 3 games, he's setting records.

Don't get me wrong, I was driving the Carter Train from the very beginning but I'm more than fine with the guys the Lions got. We'll see if Carter can keep his head on straight because that was always the biggest question with him, not his ability to dominate on the field.

Also, Swift never started a season like this. He's the 2nd leading rusher in the entire league although, yes, only a 2 game sample size. Maybe he'll get injured like he usually does but if he stays healthy, the Lions did one of the teams in their way a big favor.

Edited by NYLion

32 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Also, Swift never started a season like this. He's the 2nd leading rusher in the entire league although, yes, only a 2 game sample size. Maybe he'll get injured like he usually does but if he stays healthy, the Lions did one of the teams in their way a big favor.

First two games last year he had 200 rushing yards on 20 attempts. Philly is feeding him more but everybody knows he is explosive. The bet was that he could be replaced by someone as explosive, more durable, and not in line for a new contract. 

15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I miss Stormin' Norman from back in the day on the old board telling us that Martin Mayhew was a good GM and that we had a talented roster every year, only to watch us fall on our face.

I remember Stormin' (who could forget that guy?).

This goes back a ways, but were any of you around for kitna2furry? Buddha certainly was. That dude was off the rails

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, number20 said:

This goes back a ways, but were any of you around for kitna2furry? Buddha certainly was. That dude was off the rails

I think I started posting on the old board back in mid-2009, around the NFL draft time. I don't remember Kitna back then. I do remember wanting Aaron Curry over Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez at the time. I also remember wanting any one of Michael Oher, Alex Mack, Peria Jerry, Rey Maualuga, or Louis Delmas with that second 1st rounder. I crapped all over the Pettigrew pick and got into heated arguments with Normin and Nastradamus about it.

35 minutes ago, number20 said:

Kitna2Furrey got the site quoted in ESPN Magazine with one of his nutty posts.    

Side note - I miss sports magazines 

• Like 1

I think all the Carter and Swift talk is way too early although I understand the intrigue.  I have already gotten the texts from friends that are saying we should of taken Carter.  I think the Carter debate should be more for teams like Chicago, Atlanta, and Raiders.  Its also too early to say any of the players they took or made trades to take other players are busts either.  The thing I am looking at is this isn't the Terry Fair compared to Moss comparison or Eric Ebron to Donald comparison.  I think already both Gibbs and LaPorta look like players that will make it easier to forget about not taking Carter.  Now if Carter is the next Donald (not just 3 games) and neither of our guys make all pro than it will be a bad decision (and hurt some) but not crippling because unless there are injuries our players look already good with the possibility to be great.  Also think getting Branch helps a lot with not making that pick and could still beat Carter for Defensive rookie of the year.  BTW Philly took Nolan smith instead of Branch lol.  No team is going to make the perfect pick every time, the key is not making the Sam Bowie pick (Hakeem wasn't Jordan although they didn't look stupid with their pick).

Edited by Jimbo

9 hours ago, number20 said:

i thought norman WAS martin mayhew the way he would defend everything he did.

nastro too.  he finally left after quintricia turned out to be terrible.  

• Like 1