Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

This was my whole point about any given Sunday.  Baltimore wasn't as good as they looked and Lions weren't as bad as they looked last weekend.  KC lost to Denver.  San Fran lost 3 in a row.  Philly almost lost to Wash.  Still think they will win the division and get a home playoff game.  That I would take in a bet.  After that I wouldn't bet on because a lot can happen.  There will probably be 2-3 more games where they will under perform and will get everyone worked up.  I guess the question is, what are your expectations to think this season was a success?  My expectation at this point in the season is for them to at least win a playoff game.  That I think is the bottom expectation for me.  I wouldn't think this season was a success without a win in the playoffs (or a first round bye).  If they were in a tougher division it would be to win the division.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

This was my whole point about any given Sunday.  Baltimore wasn't as good as they looked and Lions weren't as bad as they looked last weekend.  KC lost to Denver.  San Fran lost 3 in a row.  Philly almost lost to Wash.  Still think they will win the division and get a home playoff game.  That I would take in a bet.  After that I wouldn't bet on because a lot can happen.  There will probably be 2-3 more games where they will under perform and will get everyone worked up.  I guess the question is, what are your expectations to think this season was a success?  My expectation at this point in the season is for them to at least win a playoff game.  That I think is the bottom expectation for me.  I wouldn't think this season was a success without a win in the playoffs (or a first round bye).  If they were in a tougher division it would be to win the division.

cousins going out for the season makes the division almost a given.

the only thing that can stop that is a goff injury.  even then, theyre better prepared for that than the vikings were for cousins going down.

14 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I feel a little bad for Cousins. He gets a bad rap out there but you can’t deny he puts his heart and soul into the game.

Probably was his last snap as a Viking too.

Cousins is one of the more underrated QBs of this generation, the guy just puts up numbers no matter who is at receiver and usually behind questionable offensive lines. That's a crippling loss for the Vikings and perhaps for Cousins career unfortunately.

What's the reasoning for Arizona being more competitive than were against the Ravens? Did we just play that poorly and have a bad scheme against the Ravens? Did the Cardinals have a better scheme or learn and make adjustments from our game? We beat a mobile QB in Mahomes and then struggled against both Smith and Jackson, is it a mobile QB issue?

31 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What's the reasoning for Arizona being more competitive than were against the Ravens? Did we just play that poorly and have a bad scheme against the Ravens? Did the Cardinals have a better scheme or learn and make adjustments from our game? We beat a mobile QB in Mahomes and then struggled against both Smith and Jackson, is it a mobile QB issue?

There was an article on the Athletic about how we changed our whole defensive ratios for that game.  We played much more zone and blitzed much more against Baltimore (and Seattle) than our season averages.

Seems maybe we focused too much on the opposing offense strengths than our own. 

46 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I really think it's as simple as we brought our D-game or F-game while Baltimore brought their A-game. We have talked in weeks prior, against the Chiefs, Falcons, and Bucs particularly, about how we won despite playing our B-game or C-game.

Baltimore probably played their C-game against Arizona, whose A-game still isn't good enough to beat half the league. It's an any given Sunday thing more so than pointing to any one reason.

17 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

There was an article on the Athletic about how we changed our whole defensive ratios for that game.  We played much more zone and blitzed much more against Baltimore (and Seattle) than our season averages.

Seems maybe we focused too much on the opposing offense strengths than our own. 

That's interesting.  I think it was the switch to zone that helped us against KC in the first game - but that doesn't mean it will work all the time.  Wonder if AG is trying to cover for some injuries & not put his DBs on an island?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, djhutch said:

That's interesting.  I think it was the switch to zone that helped us against KC in the first game - but that doesn't mean it will work all the time.  Wonder if AG is trying to cover for some injuries & not put his DBs on an island?

I actually remembered wrong-we played more man against Baltimore than we’ve averaged this season.  38.2 pct instead of 20.8 pct.

we played zone only 52.7 pct compared to 75.4 pct the previous 6 weeks 

• Like 1

I believe Lamar is now 16-1 against the NFC. That is insane. I take this stat to mean there is no player in the NFL like him and no scout team that can prepare a team to play him. 

On top of that, Baltimore was using Detroit as its measuring stick. They hadn’t played their best game yet offensively but did so against Detroit, which got outcoached and out-executed. Baltimore was not using Arizona as a measuring stick. Motivation matters in the NFL. You just can’t be dialed up to 11 every game. 

Finally, Baltimore is built for fall football outdoors. Detroit is not, especially without Montgomery. If Detroit meets Baltimore in a dome in Vegas for the Super Bowl, it will be a different game. 

52 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Dear NFL Teams

STOP 

HIRING 

PATRIOTS 

ASSISTANTS

It was Brady, it was always Brady. 

Rich Bisaccia did a great job.  So stupid to try to win the press conference. 

Instead of Pats assistants, they should hire Senior Defensive Assistants with head coaching experience from the Eagles..... Would be a shame if an NFC team hired a head coach from that position.......

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Dear NFL Teams

STOP 

HIRING 

PATRIOTS 

ASSISTANTS

It was Brady, it was always Brady. 

Rich Bisaccia did a great job.  So stupid to try to win the press conference. 

I'll do you one better:

Dear NFL Teams

START HIRING EAGLES AND RAVENS

ASSISTANTS

And maybe Cowboys and 49'ers assistants too, because those guys are REALLY, REALLY GOOD!

Those are the best coaches to hire.. So HURRY UP and GET one of them!

Move FAST! Get one of them NOW! Before another team does...!

I mean, you don't want to lose out... so HURRY and Hire a Ravens/ Eagles/ Cowboys/ or 49'ers coach...

You certainly would NOT want to ever, ever, hire a Lions coach...

After looking good last week Will Levis is off to another strong start against a tough Pittsburgh defense. The key with him has always been avoiding mistakes but maybe having NFL talent around him vs. having inferior talent around him(compared to the rest of the SEC) may help limit the turnovers we saw with him in college. Definitely looks the part thus far, throwing darts all over the field and just overall looking the part instead of looking like a rookie in is 2nd career game. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

After looking good last week Will Levis is off to another strong start against a tough Pittsburgh defense. The key with him has always been avoiding mistakes but maybe having NFL talent around him vs. having inferior talent around him(compared to the rest of the SEC) may help limit the turnovers we saw with him in college. Definitely looks the part thus far, throwing darts all over the field and just overall looking the part instead of looking like a rookie in is 2nd career game. 

didnt you say the same thing about mac jones and brock purdy last year?  😉

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

didnt you say the same thing about mac jones and brock purdy last year?  😉

Don't remember Purdy but definitely was a big Mac Jones supporter but even though I supported him I thought he was more of a guy that would excel in the right circumstances(namely if SF took him at 3 that year) where as I think Levis has all the tools to succeed anywhere IF he limits the turnovers that plagued him so much in college. That's a big if though.