Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

19 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I still think the Lions at their best are better than the Hawks at their best. Two bad turnovers from winning by double digits and then likely a coin toss from winning anyway.

The Lions had two giveaways and still took the game to OT, not to mention the poorly timed 4th down call by Campbell in his own territory and Montgomery going down when the Lions were leading in the 3rd. The Lions practically gifted that game to Seattle and still had a shot to win it on the final drive. I think they're probably the better team and would win 6 or 7 out of 10 against them.

15 hours ago, RedRamage said:

We saw some vintage D'Andre Swift at the end there too... instead of barreling ahead for 3-4 yards he tried to break outside and ended up with zero yards.

After a couple of BIG games early in the season (175 yards, 130 yards) his rushing numbers have really fallen off.

Wk 4: 56 / 5: 70 / 6: 18 / 7: 62 / 8: 57 / 9: 43

After three games he was averaging 6.84 ypc. Now he's down to 4.6 ypc. (Gibbs, btw, is at 5.2 ypc.)

Looks like a vintage D'Andre Swift season, but without the injuries.

Didn't realize until now that tonight's game is Carolina vs. Chicago. Talk about an unappealing matchup. From our standpoint though its good that either way the Bears draft position is gonna take a hit since they have Carolinas pick.

My biggest fear is that they end up landing the top 2 picks, if played right that could be franchise changing given this draft. Would not want to see them with Caleb, Marvin Harrison and whatever they in turn flip Fields for. 

39 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Didn't realize until now that tonight's game is Carolina vs. Chicago. Talk about an unappealing matchup. From our standpoint though its good that either way the Bears draft position is gonna take a hit since they have Carolinas pick.

My biggest fear is that they end up landing the top 2 picks, if played right that could be franchise changing given this draft. Would not want to see them with Caleb, Marvin Harrison and whatever they in turn flip Fields for. 

the bears are going to win 5 or 6 games.  

carolina, otoh, is going to win 2-3.  its really between them, the giants, and the cardinals.

Now that the Raiders did what was all-too-easy to predict and fired the Matt Patricia of offensive coaches (arrogant, clueless, players hated him, new england castoff),  Who is next on the list.    

My Hot Seat rankings. 

1. Brandon Staley, Chargers  -  If the Lions whoop 'em today, it could happen as soon as tomorrow,  can you imagine the Lions sending two consecutive coaches to the gallows?   How cold is it in Hell?  

2. Ron Rivera, Commanders -  Ol' Riverboat Ron.  He's a really good coach in prepping his team, but when it comes to gamedays he makes some truly bafflin decisions,  much like Jim Caldwell did with the Lons. 

3. Matt Eberflus, Bears - It ain't working.  The Bears management and ownership aren't very smart and that doesn't help

4. Matt LaFluer, Packers -  A 3rd place finish ain't gonna taste too good, but I think he's actually safe. 

5. Frank Reich, Panthers -  I don't think he'd get fired as a 1-and-Done and the mess they are in is not his fault, but I had to put some one in the 5 slot.  

1. Matt Eberflus: I think his fate - and Poles - is sealed barring a miracle, but the Bears won’t make a move until the season is over. You don’t go into a new season with two top five picks and let the same guys who’ve screwed up the last ones keep drafting. This will be an appealing destination that I’m sure they will still screw up.

2. Ron Rivera: Likewise, I think it’s over for Rivera and Mayhew short of a miracle. The new ownership will also likely wait until the season is over.

3. Brandon Staley: I put this at #3 only because it sure feels like they have the talent to make a run….. but it’s felt like that for a while. I agree that this is writing that’s been on the wall for a while, and could happen before Black Monday.

4. Bill Belichick: I don’t think his job is guaranteed in 2024. I think Kraft would try to make it Bill’s idea, or a transition to the front office, but it could be a clash of egos.

5. Mike McCarthy: if the Cowboys make another first round exit (or maybe even anything short of the NFCCG), he could be replaced by another Jerry Jones yes-man.

Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles are probably warm too and depend to some degree on what happens in the next two months. Brian Daboll, Jonathan Gannon, Frank Reich, and Robert Saleh haven’t inspired confidence in their long-term futures but I doubt they get canned this year. I think LaFleur is safe in Green Bay but that Guntekunst or however it’s spelled is warm for his handling of the Jordan Love pick.

i dont think poles is going anywhere.  they just let him trade another second round pick for a player, the bears are gonna win another 2 or 3 games, and they are going to get the #1 pick in the draft because of a trade he made last year.

dont underestimate the stupidity of bears ownership.  now that wcf is dead, theyre the worst ownership in the league.  they may even keep eberflus around, especially if they win 3 games to end the year (a real possibility since this is the nfl).

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Now that the Raiders did what was all-too-easy to predict and fired the Matt Patricia of offensive coaches (arrogant, clueless, players hated him, new england castoff),  Who is next on the list.    

My Hot Seat rankings. 

1. Brandon Staley, Chargers  -  If the Lions whoop 'em today, it could happen as soon as tomorrow,  can you imagine the Lions sending two consecutive coaches to the gallows?   How cold is it in Hell?  

2. Ron Rivera, Commanders -  Ol' Riverboat Ron.  He's a really good coach in prepping his team, but when it comes to gamedays he makes some truly bafflin decisions,  much like Jim Caldwell did with the Lons. 

3. Matt Eberflus, Bears - It ain't working.  The Bears management and ownership aren't very smart and that doesn't help

4. Matt LaFluer, Packers -  A 3rd place finish ain't gonna taste too good, but I think he's actually safe. 

5. Frank Reich, Panthers -  I don't think he'd get fired as a 1-and-Done and the mess they are in is not his fault, but I had to put some one in the 5 slot.  

too low on frank reich.  they mortgaged the future to get bryce young and he looks terrible (while cj stroud looks great and anthony richardson looked electric before he got hurt).  that owner will fire people and he's pissed.  theyre going to be the laughingstock of the league if they get the #1 pick and it goes to the bears and the bears get a generational qb out of it while bryce young sucks.

i think reich is gone for sure.

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

too low on frank reich.  they mortgaged the future to get bryce young and he looks terrible (while cj stroud looks great and anthony richardson looked electric before he got hurt).  that owner will fire people and he's pissed.  theyre going to be the laughingstock of the league if they get the #1 pick and it goes to the bears and the bears get a generational qb out of it while bryce young sucks.

i think reich is gone for sure.

Panthers drafted Sam Bowie when they could’ve had Michael Jordan

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think poles is going anywhere.  they just let him trade another second round pick for a player, the bears are gonna win another 2 or 3 games, and they are going to get the #1 pick in the draft because of a trade he made last year.

dont underestimate the stupidity of bears ownership.  now that wcf is dead, theyre the worst ownership in the league.  they may even keep eberflus around, especially if they win 3 games to end the year (a real possibility since this is the nfl).

You say “let him” make that trade but I don’t think there is any kind of oversight at the ownership level. I wouldn’t be surprised if Poles has full access to do what he wishes, but I don’t know if that means he’s safe.

With Snyder gone I think they’re definitely in the bottom five, alongside Jimmy Haslam, Woody Johnson, David Tepper, and Mark Davis.

So the Vikings aren't a playoff team right? I don't think so and believe what Buddha said is true and that Josh Dobbs will come back down to Earth and they all falter in the end. Without Jefferson in the lineup and with Dobbs being so unproven, I just can't see them keeping up this pace. There's gotta be a point in the season here real soon where they lose 3-4 in a row.

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ravens looking dominant early again, already up 14-0 on the Browns not even 5 minutes into that game. 

Sorry Baltimore nobody is safe from my jinx, the moment I point out how well a player or team is playing its a safe bet that things are about to go in the other direction for them. 

• Haha 1